Getting to Know You, March 2020 presented by MvM

3 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 13th:

How old were you when you started to enjoy/discover music (or dislike it, if you fall into that category)? Was there a band/musician that pushed you towards your musical preference/identity?

1976 - 77. The Clash, The Jam, The Stranglers, Blondie, The Damned, The Buzzcocks, Tom Robinson Band...

I look in the mirror these days and find it almost impossible to believe that, once upon a time, I was a Punk.

Edited by paintybeard
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5
  • Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1 - Hobbying for March Definitely lamb. I've spent the last couple months shoving a bunch of zbrush information into my brain and I'd love a break right now!   2 Middle of the road

I got to hang out with @Morihalda, and she's a pretty big deal.   I've also gotten to hang out with most of the Sculptors and Painters for Reaper.    So, yes. All the famous, and m

A decade or so ago I worked a trip on a super-yacht. (Owned by a complete and utter billionaire elfhole who I will not name. I ended up punching him after he started being nasty to the Filipino housem

Posted Images

4 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 13th:

How old were you when you started to enjoy/discover music (or dislike it, if you fall into that category)? Was there a band/musician that pushed you towards your musical preference/identity?

So, my parents used to listen to this general format radio station in Detroit (WJR), and none of that top 40 music of the 60s/70s made much positive impression on me.  I started singing in my church kids choir when I was ~11, and shortly conclude that the music I really liked was J.S. Bach.  In college I branched out from the baroque to the renaissance/medieval, but the end of the baroque is still (nigh on 50 years later) the near end of my main musical collection.  (OK, even later, I picked up an interest in folk music, but even that tends more toward Child than Dylan...)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 13th:

I was around 19 or 20.

Music was never a thing when I was growing up, it wasn't something either of my parents were into, but when I got into anime I also really got into anime theme songs and it went from there.

Unfortunately, this seems to have skewed my perception of music a bit, as I still discover everything via TV, be it adverts or movie soundtracks etc. (My love of 80's pop and power ballads comes from my years as a fan of Scrubs for example) I just don't seem to be able to listen to the radio or Spotify or whatever like a normal person.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 13th:

Grew up with my dad listening to that groovy 70s stuff.  First scene in Doctor Strange movie with the Doctor when he's guessing music, I knew exactly what album and musician it was (though I couldn't have told you the year) because it was something we listened to all the time at home.  Good old Chuck Mangione!!

When I was in my early teens, another kid introduced me to Metallica and Megadeth.  I didn't bite right away and wound up a Bon Jovi fan.  From there it spread heavier and heavier metal...  

Edited by Rahz
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 13th:

My earliest memory involves listening to the radio (it was built into an artificial fireplace). It was pop music then. I loved it all folk, pop, standard, Broadway tunes, country, rock, opera, whatever from boyhood until my hearing loss silenced the music around '97 or so. It still plays through my head providing background scores to life...such as it is.

I couldn't pick out a favorite if I tried; re, there are just too many to choose from. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
On 3/11/2020 at 12:34 AM, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 11th:

Since we're talking about Youtube... have you ever tried any of the products/services you've seen in an advertisement while watching? Or do you just skip the ads as soon as possible?

Nope. Can't stand ads. Skip them whenever I can.

On 3/12/2020 at 12:24 AM, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 12th:

Is there a movie you hope never gets remade and/or "reimagined"?

Princess Bride has already been said multiple times.

20 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

Is the world really ready for a new Howard the Duck?

I am. Not necessarily a remake. But I'd watch a tongue in cheek Howard the Duck movie with a Disney budget.

Question for March 13th:

Always had music in my life. My grandpa, who helped raise us as kids, played guitar and sang. My great uncles had a bluegrass band (serious men in dark suits kind of bluegrass, not hipster hillbillies smoking weed) that would play at the nearest KOA all the time. My sister plays violin and viola in an historic renaissance group. My mom put me in piano lessons as soon as I could reach the pedals (unfortunately I'm not musical at all) and encouraged us to go to any concert we wanted even if it was a musical style she hated. And my dad listens to everything from Gordon Lightfoot to Led Zeppelin. My wife was classically trained in piano for 8 years and still plays. Heck, we've got a bluetooth speaker or a stereo in nearly every room of the house and it's rare music isn't playing somewhere. As a result I listen to and enjoy music from almost every genre I can find. Except modern country.

4 hours ago, paintybeard said:

I look in the mirror these days and find it almost impossible to believe that, once upon a time, I was a Punk.

Me too. My hairline is such that there is no way I can rock those blue liberty spikes ever again. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Question for March 13th:

My first three albums were ZZ Top’s ’Recycler’, Quiet Riot’s ’Metal Health’ and “Weird Al” Yankovic’s ‘Besta Polka’ compilation. Take from that what you may.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, paintybeard said:

Yeah, I kind of look like people my age too.

I consider this both unfair and a betrayal. :grr:

::D:

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Question for March 13th:

No love for the Beetles? 

in HS (92 ish)  I started listening to 70's rock and the Beetles.

in college it was Enya, Tori Amos, and Indigo Girls. 

Recently: Imagine Dragons, Lindsey Stirling.

Lots of Pop, less metal and rap, almost no country. 

just to play the troll: my fav metal band is probably Baby Metal. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Evilhalfling said:

Question for March 13th:

No love for the Beetles? 

For me, at least, the Beatles were ubiquitous (as were Sonny & Cher and many other popular groups) on radio, so while they helped form my taste, there wasn't really a time where they were revelatory. Though when I bought bought the so-called Red and Blue albums (in 1980 or so), I found it kind of amazing that all of those songs that I knew had been Beatles songs. ::D:

5 minutes ago, Evilhalfling said:

just to play the troll: my fav metal band is probably Baby Metal. 

Not a huge fan of Baby Metal, though I do like their ... hmm ... genre-transgressing style. :poke:

My taste in music is idiosyncratic. I've mentioned more than once that my on my album shelf, AC/DC sat right between Abba and Bach1. Today I find myself listening to a lot of a cappella2 pop, Taiko, and folk and less symphonic classical and metal.

1 Classical albums are filed alphabetically by composer; contemporary albums by performer. It's not my fault, it's just the way it's done. :rolleyes:

2 This seems to be the preferred musical spelling, though acapella and a capella are also used. Interestingly, all of those spellings have red squiggly lines, which speaks to the Philistinism3 of Google.

3 "Philistinism", however, doesn't have a squiggly line.

• Like 7
8 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 13th:

I grew up in a household where music was so important. My dad played guitar frequently and listened to all sorts of different musics. Though it was Blink-182 that got me where I am today. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 13th:

We always had music in the house.  My mom's mom played organ, so I can remember playing with the cabinet organ she had when we'd go to visit. Mom sings (and now plays guitar). My oldest sister was very musical so we all ended up in piano lessons and the like (I started piano lessons at 5, also tried violin, guitar, and eventually played sax in band).  I'm likely the least musically talented of us though. My oldest sister has a couple of degrees in music.

As far as listening to music, we grew up listening to mom and dad's albums and 8 tracks.  Kenny Rogers, Dolly Parton, ABBA, and especially Anne Murray (she's from Nova Scotia, not too far from where I grew up, and mom sounds a lot like her when she sings...). We had a cabinet stereo with turntable and 8 track at home and always had an 8 track in the car. Once my oldest sister got to grade 7 (high school back then, that wacky middle school stuff hadn't been invented yet, at least in that area) she started bringing home albums, and then buying lots (go Columbia House!!), which really influenced what I liked.  That's where I first heard bands like Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Styx, Supertramp and ALL the Rush.  My other sister was more into Rick Springfield and Shawn Cassidy, which greatly helped me determine what I DIDN'T like. ::D:

And once cassettes and walkmen came out, and I was able to sign up for Columbia House myself, that's when I could really fine tune what I did and didn't like. Maiden and Priest were always at the center, with lots of others joining.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 13th:

I am very much the odd man out. I was never a music lover. I'm not a music hater, mind you. I'm just so much more of a visual arts kind of person.

Music by itself doesn't really interest me. But add a visual component, be it a music video; movie sound tracks strongly associated to some scenes or a character; opera; opening credits of a TV show; and you'll capture my interest.

Like other people, music was very present in my family. Both my parents (particularly on my mother's side) loved classical music, were members of orchestral choirs, huge collections. We owned a piano, violins, guitars, many sizes of flutes aside from the standard recorder, my brother's full drum set, trombone.

It seems every aspect of music in my life was made to make me like it less. I was forced to take piano lessons, and just being forced to do something that didn't interest me sort of caused me to rebel. It's not even a case of being a good or bad player. I know and understand the fundamentals of music, and I even have a good ear for it, but am still not interested in it. Commercial radio constantly repeating the same pop songs over and over again did not help. My brother or sister blasting there own music (with differing tastes), while I wanted my own quiet time. Going out with friends into a bar where you can't hear yourself think over the loud music combined with my natural introversion... well it just made things worse. And what few things I did like, because it wasn't mainstream, was often mocked and ridiculed.

Even when there were songs I liked, I'm terrible at remembering the words, the name of the song, or the artist. Just most of the melody stays. I couldn't name you or identify a Taylor Swift or Beyoncé song unless you played it in front of me.

That being said, I don't mind that other people love music. That's totally normal.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 13th:

Apologies if this gets long, my first career was a professional rock musician, so...

Grew up around music, my grandparents were both in the church choir, mom and grandma played piano. Some of my earliest memories were my grampa singing or sitting under the family piano listening to gospel. Then I had my crazy uncle who would show up and play pop songs on the family piano (to much clutching of pearls). He also had a Fender Rhodes at his place, and a quadrophonic setup with reel-to-reel and phonographs. He turned me on to rock music and video games in the mid 70s (turns out he was a pot dealer, heh). And my favorite cartoons were Merrie Melodies, so I had an early love of classical music.

At some point I found heavy metal and dove deep into it, back in the days when you had to hunt the dark corners of little record shops to find any metal albums, most people had never heard of it. Judas Priest was the first band I heard that sent me down the path, followed quickly by Iron Maiden, Sabbath, and the other big 70s acts. Which led me to the imports section where I found bands like Mercyful Fate. When I started buying those (my work ethic is likely from doing so many jobs as a kid to get money to buy new music!), the guy who owned the weird record store I frequented (who, ironically, also turned out to be a pot dealer) asked me if I wanted him to get me some heavy stuff from NYC. He'd see it in the catalogs, there were a few new labels out of NYC and CA, but I was pretty much the only one buying the heavy stuff. He let me pick a few (back then I went by the coolest album covers!), and that got me into the American scene, stuff like Anthrax and Metallica (their first label was out of NYC) and west coast stuff like Slayer and Exodus.

But the entire time I was still raiding every friend and family member's record collection and making tapes. I was known for having a massive tape collection (more summer jobs, to buy blank tapes) and some friends and I put together a tape trading/copying group. Unlike those guys (who were all about metal), I was also picking up blues, country (my stepdad had a great collection of southern rock and outlaw country from the 70s), rap (which I found via the Beastie Boys, because they shared a label (Def Jam) with Slayer's 2nd label, and Slayer's second album was produced by Rick Rubin, who was a big rap producer, and Kerry King of Slayer played on the BBoys' Licensed to Ill...it's his iconic riff in Fight for Your Right!), classical, even comedy albums.

Anyway. For identity, I don't have one (my answer to 'what kind of music do you like?' is a serious one: 'good music'). My band was shaped heavily by early Metallica (pre-Black), Mercyful Fate, Savatage, Iron Maiden, and Van Halen (we loved the silly songs they did and we wrote many of our own, like The Dumping Cow). For me as a bassist, Cliff Burton, Geddy Lee, Geezer Butler, and Steve Harris.

Even now, I'll have a wide variety in my trucks 6-CD changer. Currently it's Mastodon, Van Halen, Stephane Wrembel (manouche jazz out of NYC), Andres Segovia, Yo-Yo Ma, and Luther Allison. My newest genre discovery is doom jazz, slowed down jazz recordings layered with some ambient darkness. Really relaxing and interesting, search youtube for 'dark doom jazz' for my current jam. If I could buy everyone one album, it would probably be Gillian Welch's The Harrow and The Harvest (feat Dave Rawlings on guitar), one of the best recordings in the history of humanity (go stream it NOW! It's a rollercoaster of emotion, top notch songwriting, singing and guitar brilliance).

edited to add: as you may guess, I'm obsessed with music...I've always had music on. From dusk to dawn, I'm almost always immersed in some form of music, always have the earbuds in at work, and I can't paint without some good music playing. I can't imagine NOT listening to music, it's part of every day life. Just mentioning The Harrow and The Harvest, I'm enjoying another listen right now!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1