Getting to Know You, March 2020 presented by MvM

• Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1 - Hobbying for March Definitely lamb. I've spent the last couple months shoving a bunch of zbrush information into my brain and I'd love a break right now!   2 Middle of the road

I got to hang out with @Morihalda, and she's a pretty big deal.   I've also gotten to hang out with most of the Sculptors and Painters for Reaper.    So, yes. All the famous, and m

A decade or so ago I worked a trip on a super-yacht. (Owned by a complete and utter billionaire elfhole who I will not name. I ended up punching him after he started being nasty to the Filipino housem

Posted Images

9 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 14th:

Happy Pi Day (3.14)! Will you be having some pie to celebrate? What's the most interesting type of pie you've ever had (sweet or savory, share whichever your tastebuds prefer)?

My wife wants to make apple hand pies today.  We'll be picking up the ingredients for them later today.

The most interesting pie I've ever had was a cherry cream cheese pie.  (Unless cheesecake counts as a pie, which I don't think it does.)

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 14th:

Happy Pi Day (3.14)! Will you be having some pie to celebrate? What's the most interesting type of pie you've ever had (sweet or savory, share whichever your tastebuds prefer)?

No pie today. Visiting my folks, and knowing mom, nothing sweet is on the menu....

Probably the most interesting pie I’ve had was one the kid made years ago. It was chocolate with a bunch of different stuff in it (as you’d expect from a 12 year old (or so)). Serious sugar overkill but it was also delicious...

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 14th:

Do I have a favourite kind of pie? That's a tough one. Anything served in pie form is generally recognized as being tasty.

Of course, mom's homemade pie rates high. From memory, these would be:

• Apple
  • Strawberry
  • Raspberry
  • Sugar*
  • Lemon meringue
  • Meat pie
  • Chicken pot pie

Less commonly eaten, but deeply loved: Peanut butter and banana cream pie (over graham crumb crust), and pizza pies.

Most impressive sweet pie I've had would be a restaurant lemon meringue pie which specialized in huge meringues.

Most impressive savoury would be Okonomiyaki (or "Japanese pizza") in Osaka, though technically it's closer to a pancake with toppings than pie. It wasn't a that large pie, but we already had many courses before it, so we were already stuffed full, so I couldn't finish it. First time I also tried dried fish shavings as a topping (Katsuobushi).

*Sugar pies. It's only later in life that I realized that this very much a French-Canadian recipe that isn't well known outside of the country. But it is very well worth it. The filling is a very creamy brown sugar fudge, thick enough to hold its shape, but sometimes runny.

pic8FxG2V.jpg

Brown-Sugar-Pie-6.jpg

tarte-au-sucre-a-la-creme.jpg

If you have leftover pie dough, you make sweet rolls out of them with the same filling.

img-produit-tarte-tourbillon-sucre-creme

For some reason, it's the one pie I've never tried to bake myself.

P.S. I also know by heart my mom's pie crust recipe because it's so simple (1 flour, 1/3 fat, 1/4 water, pinch salt). And I know by "feel" if the dough is right.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
11 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 14th:

We're planning for Key Lime today.

Other favorites:

• Rhubarb
  • Lemon Meringue
  • Warm apple pie with cold cheddar cheese
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
On 3/12/2020 at 10:59 PM, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 13th:

How old were you when you started to enjoy/discover music (or dislike it, if you fall into that category)? Was there a band/musician that pushed you towards your musical preference/identity?

My parents would probably say I was into music before I could walk, and it didn't take that many years before I wound up learning how to use their turntable.  I've always had music around me, and wind up actually getting agitated if I haven't listened to any for a while...  But I can't just turn on the radio, at least in a vehicle, because I also use music to help concentrate.  It's kind of weird - in an office or warehouse, radio is perfectly fine, but make it a vehicle or my own personal space and boy does the compression in radio, as well as lack of any cohesive flow to it (you'll go from a fast, "driving" song to a laid back "mellow" song back to back) bugs me even more than a decent amount of things.

As for musical tastes, no true "one and done" kind of names come to mind, but I definitely fall into a few genres for preferences: Aggrotech, Harsh EBM, DnB (drum and bass), dubstep (but PROPER dubstep like Ikonika and Burial), hard house, hardstyle, and gabber are all pretty much up in there.  Or, in short, as I like to playfully say, hard, fast, and dirty.  If I were to write out some of my favourite artists, in no particular order there's Wumpscut, Angelspit, Aesthetic Perfection, Combichrist, Funker Vogt, The Stunned Guys, Nico E Teta, Hocico, Icon of Coil, Imperative Reaction, Joy Electric, In This Moment, Noisia, The Prodigy, Rotersand, Suicide Command, VNV Nation, Grendel, Delta Heavy, Robot Death Squad, Pythius, Telekinesis, Infected Mushroom, Spor, Showtek, Breezy, Mr Styles, Amduscia, Thousand Foot Krutch, The Melodyst, Neonlight, RodiSyle, Noisia, Dark By Design, Lisa Lashes, Dizzee Rascal, and Pendulum.  To name a few *whistles innocently*

In other words, yeah, I tend to like my music around the 155-175bpm because you can really get into it, and there are some rather creative styles of dance, but you can still do whatever thing you want to.  This question kind of reminds me of just how badly I should tidy up the area behind my desk, so I can start using my turntables again >.>;;;;

Question for March 14th:

I probably won't doubly so since Blaze Pizza isn't doing their $3.14 special this year due to Covid-19 concerns (but if you have the app, there's a coupon in there), but pie is a rather rare thing in our house here, mainly because way too many pre-made ones have soy within their crust, or they put an ingredient into pumpkin pie that hubby doesn't like (I think it's nutmeg, but I honestly can't remember).

As for pie though...

IMG_20200307_223138.thumb.jpg.3e1de48ded2e2f5e3fe54b67e928f62a.jpg

^The key lime pie at Cactus Club Café sure ain't bad!  I wanted to thief it from hubby, but we shared it, so that works too ^_^;;;

(Edit: aka it was really, really good)

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Doug Sundseth said:

Forgot the savory pie part:

Pepperoni, Jalapeno Pepper, Pineapple, Onion, and extra cheese pizza.

Which sounds like a prank order but tastes great

That sounds like an amazing pizza. Such a pity my stomach can't process Jalapeños... 

• Like 5

Question for March 14th:

My mom used to make a really delicious rhubarb pie. Unfortunately, when she tried to duplicate it this past Thanksgiving, it was not successful. :down:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Cranky Dog said:

Anything served in pie form is generally recognized as being tasty.

Yup. 

I looked online and saw a recipe for beef and potatoes pie. Never had that. 

Want. 

It mighta been fajita steak and potatoes...

• Like 7

Question for March 14th:

No pie for myself, it's just me in the house today and I don't feel like making one or going out to buy one (though I really want a pre-bankruptcy Hostess Lemon Pie/Turnover, mmmm so good. Post-bankruptcy and reopening ones don't taste right).

Two surprising pie experiences: apple pie with a slice of cheese melted on it (was really good) and a vegan chocolate pie. Some hardcore vegans brought the pie over for Christmas dinner a few years ago, and it was surprisingly good after I heard everything that went into it.

2 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I think that @ManvsMini is working for Big Pie to increase sales. <_<::P:

Just doing my part to stimulate the global economy. :winkthumbs:Pie sales spike, food industries win... and then Big Pharma wins once everyone gets diabetes from the sugar intake...

• Like 4
  • Haha 5

Question for March 14th:

c

Making Pecan Pie and Lemon Pie today.

The most interesting was a non-key Lime Pie I tried to make for thanksgiving a few years ago. 

it had the wrong taste, wrong texture, wrong color - as it was made with regular limes, the wrong condensed/sweetened milk, and food coloring.

no one but me would even take a piece, and I couldn't finish mine. 

every cook has to have the worst thing they have ever made. this was mine. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4
On 3/13/2020 at 12:59 AM, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 13th:

How old were you when you started to enjoy/discover music (or dislike it, if you fall into that category)? Was there a band/musician that pushed you towards your musical preference/identity?

There was always music growing up! Classical, classic rock, folk, blues and jazz... the radio at home and in the car, there was always music! 

As for my music preferences? It varies, a lot. From metal to folk to chanting to jazz to gospel to lo fi hip hop, synthwave to big band and reggae. It's all over the place, and I love it all. 

12 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 14th:

I just picked up a pineapple pie! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 14th:

We have been working in the house ( as we have been doing for a week or two now) so nope, no Pie.

My favorite Pie is Apple Pie.

Maybe a bit common, but it's too good to pass up!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1