hmm I may have miscalculated Pie 

pie.jpg

UNFORGIVABLE!

Your two pies aren't square!

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

18 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 14th:

Happy Pi Day (3.14)! Will you be having some pie to celebrate? What's the most interesting type of pie you've ever had (sweet or savory, share whichever your tastebuds prefer)?

I will be having pie, although I did not have time to make it myself.

Im not sure what pie I would call “most interesting”. Maybe New Zealand mince? It was suggested by @Dai-Mongar, and was pretty tasty.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 3/12/2020 at 10:59 PM, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 13th:

How old were you when you started to enjoy/discover music (or dislike it, if you fall into that category)? Was there a band/musician that pushed you towards your musical preference/identity?

My music tastes are pretty eclectic, mostly because my parents were eclectic. And I grew up listening to that music. So there’s not much I don’t like. Gangster rap, modern country, and harder metal.

20 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 14th:

Happy Pi Day (3.14)! Will you be having some pie to celebrate? What's the most interesting type of pie you've ever had (sweet or savory, share whichever your tastebuds prefer)?

I do not have pie. I did not realize that it was pie day. And there’s no way I’m going out to get pie.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 14th:

I made pies! Because I work at a bakery. :D

As for the most interesting pie I've ever had, it would probably have to be buko pie - a young coconut pie from the Philippines. Imagine a double crusted apple pie, but instead of apples, it's slices of soft, young coconut layered in a sweet custard. Nomnom! I love coconut!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Vacaroja said:

I made pies! Because I work at a bakery. :D

As for the most interesting pie I've ever had, it would probably have to be buko pie - a young coconut pie from the Philippines. Imagine a double crusted apple pie, but instead of apples, it's slices of soft, young coconut layered in a sweet custard. Nomnom! I love coconut!

are you from Philippines?

• Like 3

Question for March 15th:

Will you drink milk (be it of cow or soy or almond origin) after its expiration or "best by" date? How many days post-date are you willing to give it?

• Like 4

On 3/13/2020 at 11:17 PM, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 14th:

I have failed at Pie Day. :mellow: No Pie was consumed. ::(:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 4

2 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 15th:

Will you drink milk (be it of cow or soy or almond origin) after its expiration or "best by" date? How many days post-date are you willing to give it?

Given that milk pretty much doesn't last in our place, even in the 4L jugs, this typically isn't a concern.  As for if it reaches that date, nope, it's going down the toilet (the milk, that is).

As for soy milk, such is an abomination that doesn't get within ten feet of our place.  If I'm going to get sick on something, I'll take habanero sausages, because that's a totally different kind of feeling two hours later, and depending on things you might still have the afterglow warmth from the spice kicking in your system.  All the power to those who can drink and enjoy it, but in our house we treat it the same way we treat mushrooms (hubby's rather allergic to such) because it wrecks havoc on the body for 1-2 days depending on the dose.

Almond and/or oat milk makes for a really tasty latté....

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 15th:

I drink dairy based on its smell, not its date. If it smells fine I'll drink it. If it smells oddly sweet I need to drink it today. If it smells a little sour I consider making pancakes. If it has solid chunks I consider the dumpster outside.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 15th:

Probably not?  But it seldom ever reaches the date? I don't even know if the dates are labeled "sell by", "best buy", "use buy", OR "expires on" for the brand(s) I buy.

The milk must pass a stank test.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

37 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 15th:

ill smell it.  then try a cautious taste.  it its sweet i wont drink it straight, but may add it to cereal. 

if its a little off ill still make pancakes or bake with it. 

chunky is right out. 

PI day update - 

also made a spinach, bacon and egg pie for dinner. (Quiche) 

the pecan pie was a delicious caramelized mess.  the crust bubbled up in the middle and some filling got under the crust, so we had to chistle the pie out of the dish. 

still tasted good though. it is the one on the right in the pictures earlier, you can see the crust sticking up like a small hill near the center. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 15th:

We always seem to be drinking milk near or at its expiration date — because my wife always buys the discounted jugs.  That said, with a family of three teenage and young adult children, the milk never seems to last a week after purchase, so spoiling is not an issue.  And in the rare cases it does, it’s pancake time!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 15th:

I'm not even sure that I trust milk that's BEFORE the expiration date.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 15th:

I'm lucky enough to get all my milk from a farm only a short walk away. Delicious. Wife and I get through about 5 litres a week, considerably more if we are making yoghurt or cheese.

So "best before" dates are not a problem. The really difficult thing is to keep the cream from separating out into a solid plug at the neck of the bottle.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1