Getting to Know You, March 2020 presented by MvM

8 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 15th:

Will you drink milk (be it of cow or soy or almond origin) after its expiration or "best by" date? How many days post-date are you willing to give it?

I judge my milk by the smell rather than any date. I don't drink it/use it as often as I did on Long Island other than chocolate milk that is.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1 - Hobbying for March Definitely lamb. I've spent the last couple months shoving a bunch of zbrush information into my brain and I'd love a break right now!   2 Middle of the road

I got to hang out with @Morihalda, and she's a pretty big deal.   I've also gotten to hang out with most of the Sculptors and Painters for Reaper.    So, yes. All the famous, and m

A decade or so ago I worked a trip on a super-yacht. (Owned by a complete and utter billionaire elfhole who I will not name. I ended up punching him after he started being nasty to the Filipino housem

Posted Images

9 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 15th:

Will you drink milk (be it of cow or soy or almond origin) after its expiration or "best by" date? How many days post-date are you willing to give it?

In the rare cases I have milk in the house for something other than baking? Uh... I also go by the sniff test rather than the date on the package. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Question for March 15th:

As long as milk smells okay, I won't really care about the "best by" date. But, I'll be more attentive to the smell the closer I get to that date.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Question for March 15th:

Milk comes from mammals, not plants.

I don't imbibe anything past its expiration date. But I also test anything before consuming it or using it to prepare a meal.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 15th:

I’ll drink it as long as it doesn’t smell off. No point wasting perfectly good milk. 

Of course, I didn’t have the same attitude about breast milk when I was pumping. Anything going in my baby tends to be treated with an abundance of caution. 

Do y’all remember the commercial a few years back where a guy drank some really nasty milk, became a zombie, and started the zombie apocalypse?

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Question for March 15th:

I don't keep it in the house unless I have a specific use in mind. so it doesn't come up. 

like I only buy it if I plan to bake with it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Question for March 15th:

Note that if you have a power outage or take too long on a warm day to get home, food can spoil before the date. Use-by dates are suggestions.They're also kept conservative both to reduce consumer complaints and to encourage early re-buys. For any sort of food, it's all about the smell, taste, and appearance, not the date on the label.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 15th:

In my experience, an open container of cow's milk begins to smell pretty sour before the "best by" date ever arrives.

I will admit that I have not run the experiment of buying a container of milk, keeping it sealed and refrigerated until "best by", and then opening it. I would drink it if it smelled fresh.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 15th:

It rarely lasts that long.

I know that most "best by" dates are legally mandated and not representative of true freshness. So if it didn't smell "off", I'd probably use it anyway. Though I have discovered that some items past there "best by" date, while not toxic or unhealthy, just don't taste good anymore.

And after trying soy/almond/rice/coconut/etc. milk in the past, I just don't like them, no matter how fresh or whatever health/environmental benefits they have.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:
12 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 15th:

I drink dairy based on its smell, not its date. If it smells fine I'll drink it. If it smells oddly sweet I need to drink it today. If it smells a little sour I consider making pancakes. If it has solid chunks I consider the dumpster outside.

Basically what she said except my wife is the tester. She has nose sensitivity that'd put a bloodhound to shame. I can't smell things good which considering my work isn't that bad. Cows stink. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
37 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

And after trying soy/almond/rice/coconut/etc. milk in the past, I just don't like them, no matter how fresh or whatever health/environmental benefits they have.

Considering the dreadful damage almond milk is doing to bee populations I would consider it very selfish to use the stuff. (Even if it tasted like milk. Which it doesn't.)

• Like 9
2 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

Considering the dreadful damage almond milk is doing to bee populations I would consider it very selfish to use the stuff. (Even if it tasted like milk. Which it doesn't.)

I also know that almonds in general need huge amounts of water compared to many other crop types (pistachios are worse).

Not a bad idea if you have plenty of water to begin with, but for places like California, who happens to be the world's largest almond producer, with it's frequent droughts, it's a different story.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I approach milk with caution as it nears the best by date due to the way my fridge is set up. The only room for it is on the top shelf, right next to the light that comes on when you open the door. Being an older fridge, it's an incandescent bulb, so it generates heat if the door stays open too long, or with repeated openings. I've had milk go bad before the date, and had it go bad 5 days afterwards.

In the dorms in college, we used to get half-pint containers of milk from the cafeteria and bring them back to keep in our mini-fridge. My roommate would taste each one after it got passed expiration and it grossed me out each time. One sip, he'd get a look on his face and say "I think this is bad." Then another sip, pause, then another, pronounce "yeah, it's bad." And then still take another drink of it!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 6