Sign in to follow this  
ManvsMini

Getting to Know You, March 2020 presented by MvM

On 3/14/2020 at 12:17 AM, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 14th:

Happy Pi Day (3.14)! Will you be having some pie to celebrate? What's the most interesting type of pie you've ever had (sweet or savory, share whichever your tastebuds prefer)?

I sampled 4 varieties of shepherd's pie and a slice of cherry pie after the hash on Saturday.

On 3/15/2020 at 12:41 AM, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 15th:

Will you drink milk (be it of cow or soy or almond origin) after its expiration or "best by" date? How many days post-date are you willing to give it?

I generally only drink almond milk now, and that never gets anywhere near the expiration date.  But I always operated on the sniff test when I drank regular milk, and my longest post-date was around 2 weeks.

8 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 16th:

So you've gotten home a late from work/school/whatever. You still need to eat dinner, but want to have time to paint/hobby before bedtime. Do you still take the time to cook a decent dinner, or throw something in the microwave? Or go with delivery?

There is no consistent answer I could provide to this question.  I may re-heat leftovers from a meal I made the previous day; I may quickly assemble a dinner out of raw fruits, veggies, and hummus; I might skip painting/hobbying and make dinner anyway; I might co-ordinate with a friend and ask them to bring dinner (if they were coming over for art night anyway).  And all of this is predicated on getting home unexpectedly late from work, which almost never happens.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Question for March 16th:

So you've gotten home a late from work/school/whatever. You still need to eat dinner, but want to have time to paint/hobby before bedtime. Do you still take the time to cook a decent dinner, or throw something in the microwave? Or go with delivery?

My normal cooking habits is to cook large quantities on the weekend, and reheat the leftovers for the next week.

By the end of the week, I often go with a frozen meal from the freezer that I pop in the oven.

In the nearly two years at my current location, I've gotten take-out maybe six times. Granted the local selection is extremely limited. And I've never gotten delivery for just myself... ever!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Question for March 16th:

Generally leftovers or frozen food in that case.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I had no pie for pi day.

I will absolutely drink milk after the best by date as long as it is still unspoiled.

I usually have leftovers of some variety in my refrigerator or freezer, so I don't have much issue with having something that can be made quickly. If I just want to not deal with it I'll happily just doctor up some instant ramen or heat up a can of soup. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Question for March 16th:

If that was a potential scenario, I'd get food out while on my way home from work.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Question for March 16th:

I've got a few quick meal recipes that are relatively healthy I will throw together. If I'm really tired I may get carryout on my way home from working late. But if that's the case I'm likely not going to be doing much hobbying. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

We should do a thread for quick easy meals.

• Like 9

9 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 16th:

There is definitely no standard answer for this. It depends on what's in the fridge to cook, what's in the fridge to reheat, how much energy I have, how may day went, how Lady Klarg's day went, how willing she is to cook, how clean the kitchen is that day, phase of the moon, day of the week, how long it's been since we had delivery, how close I am to a hobby-related deadline, what it says in my horoscope, a reading of the knuckle bones, atmospheric pressure, traditions of the cult of Ba'al, consultation with a priest a rabbi and a horse, how long since I last hobbied, and possibly... whim.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Question for March 16th:

We will pick up a pizza from the brick oven place in town about once a week in football season, maybe every 2-4 weeks outside that. There is no delivery food that meets my standard, in preparation if not quality. There are maybe a half dozen local restaurants that can prepare proteins better than I can at home, which helps limit our restaurant utilization (they're all very expensive).

I have standardized my menu to be modular, quick, and easy. Lean protein, rice, veg; that's 80+% of our evening meals. Takes about 15 minutes to prep. The rice is not great (microwave in bag), but my fiancee isn't a rice snob like me, and it does manage to deliver the whole grain portion of the meal. Veg is also microwave in bag, and is usually decent enough quality and I can keep a wide variety in stock. For the protein, usually turkey breast cutlets, but I will visit the butcher every day or two and buy whatever looks fresh and quality cuts. I've tried various solutions for fresh veg and properly cooked rice, but it becomes such a hassle that I end up eating less well, thus the compromise.

I cook the lean proteins in a cast iron skillet (I will bake (with broil finish)) something like chicken thighs, to render out the fats. I only trim fatty cuts after, to allow for some flavor (and we're not anti-fat, we just keep it reasonable). In the summer, I grill the proteins. Also, summer can bring a lot more fresh veg, but they changed the farmer's market day/time so I rarely can make it any more.

For leftovers, I keep some flour tortilla shells around. I'll throw the leftovers in with some black beans and salsa and whatever cheese is in the fridge (usually swiss). Usually the leftovers are enough for my lunch the next day, we only wrap them if there's a lot. Cook's privilege! I do all the kitchen work, she pays for the ingredients, I used to work in a kitchen, so it's not usually a huge hassle.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Question for March 16th:

Any of the above. A decent dinner doesn't have to be time consuming (pasta and a salad for example).  I keep a variety of pre cooked food in the freezer (side effect of chronic disease, I never know when a bad day will hit) and can pull out soup, chili, or leftovers to warm up.  We don't do delivery, but there are take out options close by that we use regularly (Chinese, middle eastern, Mexican).  Sometimes if I am in the right part of town I will pick up BBQ.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 16th:

So you've gotten home a late from work/school/whatever. You still need to eat dinner, but want to have time to paint/hobby before bedtime. Do you still take the time to cook a decent dinner?

No. What, me cook?

...or throw something in the microwave?

This is currently my only hot food prep option. 

Or go with delivery?

Delivery takes close to an hour around here. For my sitrep that is a pathetic option. 

Actual answer is: None of the above. There are three other options, that, for me, are all more likely than those presented in the question. 

10 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Probably gonna eat a bag of chips or something. Maybe a pb & j. Most likely nothing healthy.

There is option #1

8 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

I always make something for myself, unless I have to be somewhere. Then I pickup some fast food on the way home, eat it there, and off I go again.

Two copies ^ of option #2:

1 hour ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

If that was a potential scenario, I'd get food out while on my way home from work.

1 hour ago, Loim said:

We should do a thread for quick easy meals.

Plus One for this. 

Nobody has posted my option #3 yet. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Question for March 16th:

If I have something quick to throw together I will cook. If not I'll just pick up a pizza or bucket of chicken to feed everyone.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 16th:

Leftovers in the microwave. And we always have one "emergency meal" in the freezer if we're desperate. Delivery is usually the last choice because of the expense.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 16th:

Mrs Bear generally has a good dinner prepared for us when we get home, even if she has to work closing.  Usually it’s other things that prevent me from getting painting done, like helping w/homework, yardwork, chores, and so on.

...Hmmm.  I must tell Mrs Bear more often how much I appreciate her cooking.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1