Getting to Know You, March 2020 presented by MvM

ManvsMini

• Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

As for poutine, never had it, but to quote Ed O'Neill from "Modern Family", I'm not poutine that in my mouth... not until I know what cheese curd by itself tastes like.

Done well and fresh, they're pretty nice.  Keep in mind fresh cheese curds will squeak against your teeth as you chew them. 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 18th:

In the epic battle for your sweet tooth: milkshakes or root beer floats? Which flavor of ice cream, or brand of root beer?

RBF with Vanilla ...store branded, but from these guys:

5ec2f78ce7793ad06ed81d39bb8b16f2.jpg

Edited by TGP
First linked image failed.
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 18th:

In the epic battle for your sweet tooth: milkshakes or root beer floats? Which flavor of ice cream, or brand of root beer?

Root beer floats weren't big in my day, only one restaurant chain actually makes them here and I generally don't eat there due to some very manipulative and deceptive advertising that they've pulled in the past. Milkshakes had been a rare treat for me, and chocolate was usually the best.

Edited by Pezler the Polychromatic
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 18th:

I....

I.... um...

Neither?

I never could handle carbonation that didn't come from real beer until I was late into college. And I'm lactose intolerant enough that I've had problems with yogurt.

I mean, I've dosed myself with enough poison now that I can handle ice cream. And I've dosed myself with enough injected carbon dioxide that I can handle small glasses of half-flat soda without it all tasting like acid. But I guess I bypassed the formative years, cursing me into not really enjoying either side of this epic battle.

Gimme a Real Root Beer with Real Alcohol-Based Carbonation or an Irish coffee made with Real Cream and I'll 'woooo' from the sidelines of this battle tho.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 18th:

Neither - although when I did consume milk products a milkshake was preferred....weird fake lime flavouring being the best ::P:

Edited by ratsmitglied
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

Neither?

I never could handle carbonation that didn't come from real beer until I was late into college. And I'm lactose intolerant enough that I've had problems with yogurt.

I gave up carbonated sodas sometime around 1997?  I made an exceptions for occasional Limeades from Sonic and IBC root beer. I found out I was lactose intolerant by actual medical testing circa 2010?  So both of these things,...

Milkshakes and Root Beer floats,

...have largely been chucked from my food list. 

But within the last year I did have a Root Beer Float created and served up by the drive through at an A&W location. I have maybe cheated 3? times in the last couple of years and indulged in a RBF from them. Weirdly, it does not seem to set off my lactose intolerance very much (?) Possibly their “ice cream” is sufficiently artificial that it fails to create a problem.  (Yay?)

On that thin margin, Root Beer Float won. Just. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 18th:

I've never liked the whole float thing and these days drinking a milkshake is a surefire way to get an upset tummy, so I'll have a plain root beer I guess?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 18th:

I don't have either very often, but an A&W Root Beer float with chocolate ice cream (real ice cream, but that soft serve stuff) wins.

A Chocolate Cherry milkshake from that 50s diner in PEI I haven't been to in a decade would be a close second....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I'm a fan of chocolate milk shakes.  Never was into root beer floats.  As a kid I did like a scoop of vanilla ice cream in a glass of orange soda though.

Question for March 18th:

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Question for March 18th:

I like vanilla milkshakes alright, but I can't remember the last time I had one.  I prefer a homemade fruit smoothie to either of these things.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 3/16/2020 at 11:13 PM, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 17th:

Happy St. Patrick's Day! What's your favorite way(s) to enjoy the famed staple of the Irish diet, the potato?

I'm in the all the ways camp (except German Potato Salad, ewww).

...but, my favorite is new red potatoes, smaller than a quarter in size, boiled and served with fresh chive butter, salt and pepper.  Soon......

Question for March 18th:

Milkshakes, specifically with malt powder.  My favorite malt is the Salted Caramel Malt made by a local WI creamery near my family's cabin.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 18th:

I'm way more for malts. There's something about being able to consume it with a spoon.  Strawberry was my usual go to, although pretty much nobody around here does a malt (or milkshake!) that's thick enough... 

Floats are fun if you use the correct kind of ice cream for it (aka whatever brand you prefer, and we tend to do vanilla because it works with so many different things), but I won't get a commercially made one simply because they're usually stupidly expensive combined with very little pop being included, so it's mostly just foam and an ice cream puck that's barely been touched.  We make them every now and then at home, typically with Barq's Root Beer, although hubby has gotten an affinity for Mug Root Beer lately. 

I've heard Fatburger has decent shakes, so I've been meaning to check them out. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 18th:

I am a milk shake/malted fan. The best one is something my youngest son, Matt, & I came up with: we would order a chocolate shake, a banana shake from Checker's, & ask for an extra cup.

Then we would do a mix of the two. Our Chocolate Banana shakes were WONDROUS...good Catholics have to go to confession after having one.

Edited by malefactus
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 18th:

Milkshake, though I haven't had one since I was a kid. I like my ice cream uncut :D 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1