Getting to Know You, March 2020 presented by MvM

ManvsMini

9 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 18th:

In the epic battle for your sweet tooth: milkshakes or root beer floats? Which flavor of ice cream, or brand of root beer?

Milkshakes. I'll go with a lot of different shake flavors. Having worked at a Braum's for years, I have quite a few flavors that work well - Cherry Chocolate Chip with chocolate syrup is really good, for example. I love milkshakes and definitely don't drink them nearly as often as I would like.

I dislike rootbear. Coca Cola Floats are good, though.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/17/2020 at 12:13 AM, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 17th:

Happy St. Patrick's Day! What's your favorite way(s) to enjoy the famed staple of the Irish diet, the potato?

Mashed potatoes. Definitely mashed potatoes with lots of butter. Mmmm, butter.

Question for March 18th:

In the epic battle for your sweet tooth: milkshakes or root beer floats? Which flavor of ice cream, or brand of root beer?

Root beer floats! Spice and sweet all at once. For root beer floats, the root beer doesn't matter to me.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Question for March 18th:

Root beer floats, of course,  Any decent variety of root beer will do, but home-made vanilla ice cream is best.

I’ve had floats with cream soda substituting root beer.  I’d sometime like to try a float with root beer made w/cane sugar, or maybe try with sarsaparilla instead of root beer.

9 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Done well and fresh, they're pretty nice.  Keep in mind fresh cheese curds will squeak against your teeth as you chew them. 

I’ve had them...  Used to buy them by the bag from a Tillamook dairy outlet...   they’re like tasty soft rubber erasers!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

I'm a fan of chocolate milk shakes.  Never was into root beer floats.  As a kid I did like a scoop of vanilla ice cream in a glass of orange soda though.

I could go for that. I think I did once many years ago. If I did I suffered later. 

Stewart’s Orange Cream soda + Real Vanilla Ice Cream. Good stuff. 

:upside: Or it was. Can you get the two ingredients made the Old Way anymore?

• Like 7

Question for March 18th:

Root beer float for the win.  I like shakes once in a while, but they don't like me.  Floats aren't good for me either.  It's been years since I had one.  Lot of places stopped offering them, and stopped offering root beer, too.  We used to pick up a 6 or 4 pack of some specialty brand root beer made with sugar (not corn syrup) and make them at home, don't remember the brand, we tried a few. 

Ice cream has got to be Bluebell Vanilla Bean, though. 

Nebulous Missy's idea for an Irish Coffee sounds pretty good, too. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Grumpy Cave Bear said:

12 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Done well and fresh, they're pretty nice.  Keep in mind fresh cheese curds will squeak against your teeth as you chew them. 

I’ve had them...  Used to buy them by the bag from a Tillamook dairy outlet...   they’re like tasty soft rubber erasers!

None of that is selling me on cheese curds.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

13 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 18th:

I was never a fan of root beer when I was young. And I think I only tried a root beer float once in my whole life.

As for milkshakes. I haven't had a restaurant made milkshake in decades. Unless you count the melted leftover of a Dairy Queen sundae.

Generally speaking, I prefer vanilla with some added toppings for the extra little oomph in flavor like chocolate chunks, caramel, or peanut butter.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 18th:

It's been years since I could enjoy either without any repercussions. But back when I could consume such, malted chocolate milkshakes were the best. I'd get them with my grandpa at this tiny little diner in the nearest town to our farm. He'd always order us kids the biggest malt on the menu and then "help" us finish them when we couldn't get through them ourselves. Root beer floats, and the Orange Crush floats too, are okay. They were something we got at one of those little drive up root beer stands where they'd hook a tray onto your car window and bring the food out to you. Fun childhood memories there, but not so much that I really liked them outside of that setting.

I'm a bit surprised no one has mentioned ice cream/stout floats. Just like a root beer float but with a nice, chocolaty stout instead of root beer. Very worth a try. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, ManvsMini said:

None of that is selling me on cheese curds.

Around here, you can find them in just about any convenience store counter as a quick snack food.

They're much softer than rubber erasers, but do have a slightly squeaky texture when you first chomp down on them. And taste wise, it really does register as slightly salty cheese. And regarding poutine, if your curds weren't fridge cold and your poured gravy was hot enough, the curds will melt over your fries like mozzarella on a pizza. Also be wary of cheese tongue burn if too hot.

Overall, I'd say that cheese curds (the snack food variant) generally falls into the "Why did I wait so long to try this?!" category. It's not as intense as a bag of Doritos, but you won't over indulge on them either.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Question for March 18th:

It’s apples and oranges all over again. Look, milkshakes and floats are not interchangeable. Floats are best with hamburgers and steaks, while milkshakes are best with grilled or fried chicken.

Chocolate milkshakes are best when you use vanilla ice cream and chocolate syrup. Because chocolate and vanilla are besties. 

And floats are obviously best with A&W rootbeer.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 18th:

Neither. I avoid milk and milk products, mostly because I hate the flavor and mouth feel, but also to maintain my bragging rights to my catchphrase "I get all the calcium I need from Tums!" I've also done a stint in a factory that made ice cream mix, and after that...nope, just nope.

Now root beer on it's own is fine. I find Barqs to be more to my taste than A&W, but a bit of whisky or rum added to either makes for a tasty beverage. Both are inferior to whatever company has it in glass bottles with actual sugar, the name of which I can't remember right now.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 18th:

I don't think I ever drank root beer, and I do not know what a float is in that combination.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4