Getting to Know You, March 2020 presented by MvM

ManvsMini

11 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I don't think I ever drank root beer, and I do not know what a float is in that combination.

A root beer float is a mixture of root beer and milk, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream in it. Some people leave out the milk.

Me, I prefer a root beer egg cream, which (possibly due to historical rationing in WWII) contains neither egg nor cream, but is a simple blend of root beer and milk. The other members of my family consider this a vile, nay sacreligious mixture.

• Like 6
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Pingo said:

A root beer float is a mixture of root beer and milk, with a scoop of vanilla ice cream in it. Some people leave out the milk.

I do not drink milk except for milkshake or chocolate milk.

The combination with a carbonated drink is something I can't understand.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Glitterwolf said:

I do not drink milk except for milkshake or chocolate milk.

The combination with a carbonated drink is something I can't understand.

(I actually do it because otherwise carbonated drinks burn my mouth. I like the extremely moderated fizz of a milk-diluted soda.)

• Like 5

Just now, Pingo said:

(I actually do it because otherwise carbonated drinks burn my mouth. I like the extremely moderated fizz of a milk-diluted soda.)

To be honest I rarely drink carbonated drinks.

The last week with working in our new home has been hectic and I have consumed a few sodas.

Still no fan of them.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

None of that is selling me on cheese curds.

1 hour ago, Cranky Dog said:

, it really does register as slightly salty cheese.

It's just cheese. After the milk product is coagulated and forms into lumps(curds) it is usually pressed into cakes, rounds, or bricks and brined.  These products are aged and dried, then cut and packaged for stores. 

The unpressed curds are little nuggets of fresh cheese. You can buy them dry, like any common cheddar or farmer's cheese, or you can sometimes find them in a tub of milky brine like mozzarella balls. 

I really ought to get my stuff out and make some cheese during this home quarantine period.  Fresh milk seems easy enough to come by locally. 

37 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

I don't think I ever drank root beer, and I do not know what a float is in that combination.

A "float" is a drink made by combining soda pop with a scoop or more of ice cream.  Sometimes called an Ice Cream Soda. It was something popular in the last century, a lot like coffee shops are now.  People would go to a local shop to socialize and enjoy the drinks.  There were all kinds of recipes for floats.  Coca-cola and vanilla ice cream was one.  Some had funny names, root beer and chocolate ice cream was called a "Brown Cow".  A "Purple Cow" used grape soda.  A "black and white" used chocolate syrup over vanilla ice cream, with plain soda water.  There were a lot of other fancy drinks you could get, made with flavored syrups, fruit juice, and soda water.  One of my favorites was called a Raspberry Lime Rickey, and made with lime juice, raspberry syrup, and lime soda or soda water.   Anyway, most of those shops are closed now, as times have changed.  You can't even get a decent root beer float in most places.    I think root beer is an American invention, and probably tastes very strange to the rest of the world. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 19th:

According to the calendar, it's National Let's Laugh Day, which I think many of us could possibly use right now (both in USA and internationally). Share a joke, or a funny story, to help brighten our day.

Currently watching @Mocha ***stream. She is painting, and doing Lyrics free Kareoke. It gets amusing when she invents lyrics for sections where she forgets the words.

About to do "Closing Time" 

***It is the latest she has ever been up/awake streaming.

***She has a really nice singing voice. No lie.

Edited by TGP
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, redambrosia said:

This is how my baby dismounts from the bed. Head first. That’s me holding on to her foot while she desperately tries to fall on her head

There was that one time I did something a bit like that...

6 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 19th:

Share a joke, or a funny story, to help brighten our day.

It started when I fell asleep reading a book. On a top bunk. It wasn’t even my room, it was my younger brother’s room. But he had gotten custody of our bunk beds and the two of us were hanging out in his room, I was reading on the top bunk, with my feet at the head of it, where the pillows should have been. My head and the book were near the foot. 

Little brother normally slept slept on the bottom bunk. When he got tired he just crawled into his bunk. No idea who turned the lights out or what happened to the book. (Maybe a parental unit wandered along and decided to leave well enough alone and switched the light off.)

Next thing I knew I was having the falling dream/nightmare. Flat on back; Scary falling sensation; Ends with a start when you wake up??? 

It didn't end when I woke up. Because I woke up in mid-air! actually falling..!

Probably, my feet hitting a lamp are what woke me up. The lamp got crushed. It had a glass bowl mounted underneath the bulb. My brother had filled the bowl with Matchbox Cars and Pennies and Marbles and other kinds of tiny toys. 

vintage-milk-glass-fruit-bowl-lamp_1_a50

It was a lot ^ like this. Milk Glass, it’s called. 

There was a horrendous crash as it smashed and all the contents scattered, the bulb shattered, and the falling kid (me) slammed shoulder blades first into the floor. 

Both parents were woken up & came running. I wound up flat on my back, not breathing, breath knocked out of me...

Punchline: 

Little Brother slept soundly through the whole thing. <_< <_< <_<

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 19th:

According to the calendar, it's National Let's Laugh Day, which I think many of us could possibly use right now (both in USA and internationally). Share a joke, or a funny story, to help brighten our day.

My favorite "bad" joke is:

Two drums and a cymbal fall of a cliff

ba dum tss 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

10 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 19th:

Joke: 

Q: What did the fish say when it swam into the wall?

A: Dam.

Funny Story:

The other night my wife and I started to watch Frozen. We've never seen it, but we were bored, slightly intoxicated and have the Disney channel. Unfortunately we had no idea about the blond character having to be quarantined right at the beginning of the movie. My wife, in a rare episode of snark, started cracking rapid fire jokes about how Frozen is just a story about the pandemic. So much so that I ended up snorting beer out of my nose and had to leave the room in order to get control of my laughing. Needless to say, we lost the thread of what was actually happening in the movie and had to turn it off. Maybe not really funny if you weren't there. But you heard it here first, that little blond girl is a pandemic vector if there ever was one.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 19th:

My daughter’s 21st birthday was yesterday.

This morning, I walked into her room and started singing:

”Happy birthday plus one!

Happy birthday plus one!

You’re a single day older,

Happy birthday plus one!”

Edited by Grumpy Cave Bear
Sent too soon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6