Getting to Know You, March 2020 presented by MvM

ManvsMini

5 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 20th:

Are you a fan of mythology? Which are you most familiar with (Greek/Norse/Mesopotamian/Arthurian/etc)?

Yes I am.

I know a little bit about quite a few different ones, but I'm probably most familiar with Greek or Egyptian.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question for March 20th:

Are you a fan of mythology? Which are you most familiar with (Greek/Norse/Mesopotamian/Arthurian/etc)?

At one time I was familiar with a number of mythologies, but it's not something I really read about anymore.  One important thing to keep in mind when discussing mythology is that the word is commonly used colloquially to refer to something not true. Because of that some people can get offended when you refer to their religion in this way.  It does not have that connotation in study however, and simply refers to the set of beliefs without judging if they are true or not.

Christian (why yes, I have read a bit of the pseudepigrapha)

Greek - had a couple of teachers in highschool that were big on teaching this one, as well as a bit of the following two.

Egyptian

Norse

Shinto/Hindu/Buddist - picked up random bits over the years.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 3/18/2020 at 11:38 PM, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 19th:

According to the calendar, it's National Let's Laugh Day, which I think many of us could possibly use right now (both in USA and internationally). Share a joke, or a funny story, to help brighten our day.

Got nothing.  I'm fresh out of happy right now.

Question for March 20th:

Greek and Norse

• Like 3
  • Sad 5

Question for March 20th:

I know Greek/Roman mythology best, because I was lucky enough to have a middle school that had a semester of it as a literature elective — public school, no less.  That continued afterward as I scoured the public library’s resources.

I’ve also read up on Egyptian and Norse mythology, though I didn’t learn as much about them.  

My most recent short dive into mythology was Slavic mythology, which I learned a bit about after looking up info on the name Chernobog.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 20th:

Egyptian is arguably my favourite of the bunch.  School tried to teach us Greek mythos, but I don't quite recall where that went - it seemed it was more a cursory glance over it at the time. 

My proudest possession is two long out of print books about Egyptian mythology, oddly enough. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Question for March 20th:

I know a bit of Greek, Arthurian, and Japanese/Shinto mythology, as well as a little bit of Aboriginal mythology from Australia. I wouldn't claim to be an expert on any of them, though.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Question for March 20th:

I am more into Folklore than Mythology. All those Steve Reeves' Italian Myth films ruined Mythology for me.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I am a fan.  It started with a summer school enrichment program that included Greek/Roman mythology.  Picked up Norse, Irish, English (including Arthurian) and Egyptian.  SG-1 RPG renewed interest and we are going back to that maybe.  Our GM's wife died Tuesday so gaming is on hold.  When we get back together we probably will not be together.  Skype is probably how we will game. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 8

6 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 20th:

I am, though I usually only read bits and snippets here and there.  I really dig the Babylonian myths, and have read the Enuma Elish and Epic of Gilgamesh many years ago.  Ereshkigal (Queen of the Great Below) is probably my favorite mythological figure, and I really like the version of the story where she threatens to start a zombie apocalypse and devour the world of the living if the gods don't stop hiding her consort from her. :lol: 

I have mild familiarity with (and maybe a few books on) Aboriginal Australian, Aztec (the diety names sound awesome when they're pronounced correctly*), Hawaiian, and Hindu myth; as well as the Raven Tales of the Pacific Northwest.  Of course, then there's the general cultural penetration of Egyptian, Greek, Norse, and Roman mythology too. I guess I'm a fan. :poke: 

*I was in Mexico City a few years ago and we went to the Museum of Anthropology there and caught part of a tour while it was in the Nahuatl/Aztec section.  When the lady giving the tour pronounced the names of the various deities she was talking about, they rumbled with echos of an ancient world of magic, mystery, and thunder in ways that other mythologies simply don't.  Tezcatlipoca just hits differently than Nut, Nyx, or Ratri. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 20th:

Moderately so.

Greek; for the rude bits.

Tolkein; as it was his stated intention to create a modern mythology.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 20th:

A fan yes. Pretty much any gamer is a fan to some degree.

Greatest familiarity would have to be Greek. It has been well documented and part of popular Western European culture for millennia, and the one I had the greatest exposure to.

Yes, I do have some knowledge of all the others, but only bits and pieces. Had my ancestors been from another part of Europe or the world, my common knowledge would be more extensive. For example, I would imagine that people from Scandinavian countries have far more accurate knowledge about Norse mythologies, or the Welsh about Celtic legends.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 20th:

I'm a fan, but mostly at the "pick it up in bits and pieces" level.

As I'm terrible at remembering names and places, like history, I'm not good at remembering the specifics, which kind of limits my enthusiasm to focus on it too much.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 20th:

Yes, ever since I was about 10 years old. I’m pretty familiar with Greek, Egyptian, Norse, and Celtic mythologies. I know a bit less about Chinese, Indian, Mesoamerican, various Native American, and Slavic mythologies. And I have a very shallow familiarity with Japanese, aboriginal Australian, and Russian mythologies.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 20th:

I was really into it as a kid and devoured books on Greco-Roman, British, Norse, and Egyptian mythology, and I was exposed to a lot of native American mythology because I was lucky enough to be a kid when the hippies were teaching a lot of native culture in elementary school.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1