Getting to Know You, March 2020 presented by MvM

ManvsMini

3 hours ago, paintybeard said:

Tolkein; as it was his stated intention to create a modern mythology.

I had wondered whether I should include The Silmarillion in my list, given my love for it.  

I had also thought about whether I should include ufology and cryptozoology, as I uncritically read so many books on these subjects as an pre-teen; as an adult I still love them, but consider them to be a uniquely modern mythology/folklore.

In the end, I stuck to classical mythology.

• Like 6

• Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Question for March 20th:

Are you a fan of mythology? Which are you most familiar with (Greek/Norse/Mesopotamian/Arthurian/etc)?

yes. in order of knowledge 

Greek

Tolkien

Christian 

Norse 

Arthurian 

Hindu  

Egyptian 

the fact that im not Christian is partially due to how many Greek and Norse stories I learned first.  by the time I got to Christianity it just seemed more of the same. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 20th:

Are you a fan of mythology? Which are you most familiar with (Greek/Norse/Mesopotamian/Arthurian/etc)?

Yes.  I find belief systems and stories fascinating.

I am probably most familiar with Greek mythology but every time Overly Sarcastic Productions covers a Greek myth, I learn that there’s even more that I’ve never encountered.  Thanks, @Pingo.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 20th:

Yes! Very much so! Have looked into a lot of mythologies worldwide. Greco-Roman, Norse, Celtic, Judeo-Christian, Egyptian (was obsessed with this in 6th grade), Native American, Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Philippines, Tibetan, Aztec, Yoruba . . . .should I keep going? I'm just big on mythology and folklore.

Side Note - It's why Watership Down is one of my favorite books. Rabbit mythology won me instantly.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 3/20/2020 at 1:13 AM, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 20th:

I am a big fan of mythology. I really enjoy reading it. I'm most familiar with Greek and Norse, as those were primarily touched upon at the public schools I went. I try to read as much as I can about mythology from other parts of the world. I'm not very familiar with Mesoamerican though; for me, a lot of the names are hard to remember.

As a side note, Stephen Fry's "Mythos" is a pretty interesting and easy read if you are looking to brush up on your Greek mythology.

SG-1, the Dresden Files and now the Witcher series have done a lot to keep my interest in mythology going, as well as expand it. Slavic and Gaelic folklore/myth was unknown to me until I read some of those books. The Percy Jackson novels also deserve mention for continuing interest.

Edited by ManvsMini
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

Question for March 21st & 22nd:

Show us what's on the painting table, and what you're hobbying on. Bonus points if it has green on it (in late-observance of St. Patrick's Day).

1F7E6127-14B3-421B-8ADD-A8F9BE384CA1.thumb.jpeg.eca99fa91707fd7b5f0dc9017ea6e0fb.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

Show us what's on the painting table, and what you're hobbying on. Bonus points if it has green on it (in late-observance of St. Patrick's Day).

Well, this showed up yesterday:

20200320_235855.thumb.jpg.5617291c56a46e5e3b5a7462aecffe4e.jpg

My new ultra cleaner, now with more sonic! I have several miniatures that I've bought over the last while that I'd like to strip ,this should make things a little easier. On the left of the pic is one of the three Ultramarines intercessors that I'm assembling and painting at the moment.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

18th. Foot (Royal Irish Regiment) in about 1840. Yet more figures for my already over-full "The Men Who Would be Kings" collection.

So, Irish , but not a speck of green anywhere:

1133824047_18th.Foot1840(1).thumb.JPG.22aeca05a2411aa7dced5615d7051690.JPG

Edited by paintybeard
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

And the Troll is green :bday:desk.thumb.jpg.fff8b4262cb30b15250d9197ca036eef.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

XumwDdN.jpg

I'm painting a Deep Sea Diver and a weird Cyborg Mutant Guy.

The Mutant has some green cables on him (and he's getting green trousers over the weekend) but that's it.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

Well...right now I have a Mushroom Group, G.W's Loon Boss (Goblin Hero...that's an oxymoron isn't it), AND a Grenadier/Mirliton Shire Dragon:

DSCN9347.thumb.JPG.da7eb1827bc6dcf14c078386448380d4.JPGDSCN9349.thumb.JPG.8e197aeffc4ef47197dafe0d620a7ecd.JPG

Whether or not these are the next things done is anyone's guess. There are times I have the attention span of a Mayfly.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

No fair! I cleaned up my desk last week and it has nothing on it! Gonna need to change that.

Only green(ish) thing on permanent display is the cutting mat.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1