Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Hello everyone, I'm currently working on an Ogre gang and completed the painting on this model last night. This is a 77455, Ogre Smasher sculpted by Bobby Jackson. I swapped the top of its club with that of the 77454, Ogre Clubber. I also added three more skulls at his waist belt. it was all painted with Reaper MSP paint. I will complete the base later since I may add more elements to it.
Here we go with another Nagendra. Trying new colors each time I do them to try and have some fun with scales. What I need to do on my next one is some kind of combination with yellow. Something more challenging to work with to make it fun (or completely ruin it).
* Combo of golds and brown seemed to do alright.
* Felt brave enough to use an oil wash this time. It's frustrating because I'm always afraid it's going to ruin the work I put in, but at the same time, the results could be awesome. The wash is on the scales, and the shield. I tried it on the sword, but it didn't lay into the lettering strong enough.
* The scales were good after the oil wash but needed a 'pop'. I went back and hit diagonally adjacent scales with a cream color. Gave it a cool pattern without overwhelming the look. I did my last one with an organic here or there approach. This was more pattern driven. Doing something like a diamond back would be a challenge worth doing.
* The sword did not come out as I had hoped. It looks washed out and the runes on it are less than ideal. Could use some fix ideas for this.
* The shield also is missing...something. I don't know what it is, but there's nothing really cool about it.
* Eyes are so small on this model it's hard to do anything fun. I made them black with yellow slits, but you can't really see them due to the size. Anyone else struggle with eyes that are too small to really detail? Or have a solution worth trying?
* This one just didn't have the same pop effect I'd hoped for. I'm not sure what's mising, but it's something.
Got another one of these simple townsfolk done. I find they make a great opening salvo for the weekend before getting rolling. They are more or less my practice pieces to try a few things before getting going. Here he is - the farmer and his hoe.
* Keeping the palette very simple:Brown, Orange, Cream, Flesh - worked well.
* Washes of Nuln oil on the shirt, pants, hood. Looks good and helped dull the colors like work clothes.
* Used Agrax on the leggings and the shoes and the hoe to give a more dirty apperance.
* I used a mix of buff and white streaks, then washed it with Agrax to give the wood appearance. Not bad.
* Flesh was Rosy Shadow - why I used that color, I have no idea - and I did a fleshwash on it. Then brought it back up with rosy shadow, then again did it with a little added buff.
* I really want to learn how to wood grain. I can't figure it out or do it well and need some help there.
* I also am not a fan of this guy's skin. I still don't get how to use the triads really well. Or which skin tone to use for which kind of character. It's why I like doing beasts or fantastical creatures because skin isn't really a concern. Could use direction here if anyone is open.
* Didn't want to use metal colors, so I just did a black to white to grey fade on the working end of the hoe. Meh.
* The highlights I went back in on the leggings, hood, and shirt are a bit much. Almost look washed out. Not sure what went wrong going back over the same areas with the colors after washing, but oh well.
For basing this guy - open to ideas. I'm thinking just a simple 1" base and nothing complicated. I'll do whatever someone suggests first.
This one is a real devil to paint.
I got the body down and feel the colors there all make sense for a fire demon. But the wings...I can't figure out what to do with them. I was thinking to make them the feature and brighten them up, but the more I look at it the more I think the face and body are the focus. Needing some help here.
* Another round of dry brushing success! Did a scarlet red, to flat red, to clear orange dry brush triad.
* Used clear orange filter to bring up the areas of highlight and the subtle change looks really good and helps increase contrast.
* Horns seem to work pretty good with a oragnge/buff/white mix transitioning up.
* Dry brushing the gold kept it a cooler color rather than a overwhelming "bam" gold look. I used a yellow+gold mix to highlight the edge of the sword, but in looking at the photo I may need to increase this.
* Vein on the right bicep has a purple hue I added. I thought it was cool.
* I got pretty far along and then realized I have no idea how I want to do the wings. I need help! I need direction on the bone sections versus the wing membrane.
* The left calf got a bit too healthy of a helping of orange filter.
* The horns on his head don't seem to fit as well, but it's growing on me slowly.
* Tried putting yellow eyes. Didn't like it. Then tried doing yellow with purple dots. Didn't like it. Then tried yellow with white slits. Meh.
* Used a filter around the eyes with yellow to give a glowing effect, but it was way too overpowering and ended up making him a devil raccoon. Not the intended effect. Died it back down with red, but still stands out a little weird.
I've got 2 more in this series and want to give them some consistency. I was thinking the female devil I would do a purple/red mix. As always, open to some ideas.
If you're going to give feedback, I'd love some ideas on a diorama I could do with the three completed devils.
Who's Online 18 Members, 3 Anonymous, 35 Guests (See full list)