Sign in to follow this  
edwick

First Figures: Skeleton Archer, Xairbot, Graveyard Archway, Bulette (Reaper 77070, 49014, 77635, plus WZK73713)

Hi everyone, jumping back into painting miniatures after a (mumble mumble) year hiatus. I'll say the minis I was painting were from Grenadier, Ral Partha, and Heritage USA, and I was very, very bad at it. But my wife got into some cool steampunk minis on Kickstarter and got a bunch of them plus some "learn to paint" kits. Then we looked at people's work and watched some videos and freaked out for about a year, terrified of actually painting them for fear of screwing them up.

We picked up more from the Friendly Neighborhood Hobby-n-Gaming Store (my son will never turn down anything that even vaguely resembles a toy), and finally did some minis after our son asked, "Are you ever going to paint these things?" We set up a ground rule that "the only way to paint these Wrong is if paint ends up on something other than a figure." Meaning the furniture, the floor, someone else, or the dog. Anything else was to be deemed successful. And whaddya know, it was easier than we thought. Grabbed our first finished batch and shot them in my lightbox for toys.

Click on any image to see it on my Flickr account, where you can see super-sized versions and alternate angles.

First figures:

49609023073_1a8616bd85_z.jpg
Reaper 77070 Skeletal Archer by Ed's Toy Box, on Flickr

49609542356_2099162046_z.jpg
Reaper 77070 Skeletal Archer by Ed's Toy Box, on Flickr

This figure came with the Reaper "Learn to Paint" kit, so we used it as a first try for things. My son did the base coat and I did the details (the bow and quiver, and then the wash layer and the base). Base is a brown with a red wash on it. I'd like to say the bow is a drybrush to get the textures, but it's more just a thin paint job.

We tried to straighten his legs, but he slowly reset back into his extreme lean. We did this figure to learn with, so I don't really care deeply about it, but we'll have to be careful about things like this in the future.

49609799387_7046257d2e_z.jpg
Reaper 49014 Xairbot (Large) by Ed's Toy Box, on Flickr

49609545016_fbc3347acb_z.jpg
Reaper 49014 Xairbot (Large) by Ed's Toy Box, on Flickr

Keeping the trend of my son doing big things and the adults doing details. My son painted the Xairbot in a base yellow (he loves Caterpillar heavy equipment), and my wife did all the silver, blue, and red details. In hindsight, we should have straightened out the right shoulder cannon, too.

49609036268_2d768f895e_z.jpg
Reaper 77635 Graveyard Archway by Ed's Toy Box, on Flickr

My wife went for furniture and accessories over creatures for now, and took to this graveyard archway. This was the first thing she painted, and came away going, "That was a lot easier than I thought it would be." Skeletal archer included for scale.

49609547826_e063a4265f_z.jpg
Nolzur's Marvelous Miniatures WZK73713 Bulette by Ed's Toy Box, on Flickr

49609032333_fe0983488e_z.jpg

49609805687_5e96ac8519_z.jpg

My son liked the WizKids bulette figure. We tried a few things with him, not all successfully. I'd like to figure out how to blend things like the chest color and the body color better, and we're still learning the finer points of drybrushing.

I do like that his mouth was just a few layers of a red wash, and I like some of the work on the body. The translucent base was a bunch of experimentation: matte varnish "primer" layer, a few layers of dark and brown washes to make it look like dirt, and then the brown disc under it after we noticed that the base tended to reflect colors of whatever was under it.

• Like 22

Welcome to the forum!

Great start, the Bulette is my favorite.

Edited by Glitterwolf