Sign in to follow this  
Illithar

Stripping Photo Resin Miniatures

Has anyone tried stripping paint from a photo resin miniature? I have one that I... well I messed up on it and It's not really salvageable now unless I can get the paint off. I've heard Simple Green is safe-ish for regular resin (I have read stories of softening and becoming more brittle after re-hardening), but I am not sure if photo resin would be any different. Are there any other cleaners that I might try or should I just dunk it in Simple Green and hope for the best?

I've used acetone-free nailpolish-remover on one Resin mini I printed a while ago. 

But that was 3DSR 405 Green resin from KUDO3D. (Translucent green)

Whether or not Your mini will survive the same treatment is anyone's Guess.

If IPA Works on the Paint you've used, you could try that. 

(Most resin prints are rinsed in IPA after printing, but before post curing)

• Thanks 1

I would also vote for IPA before trying any other cleaners.

Is this a model you purchased, rather than print yourself?  If you printed yourself, a re-print might be less headache.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Clearman said:

I would also vote for IPA before trying any other cleaners.

Is this a model you purchased, rather than print yourself?  If you printed yourself, a re-print might be less headache.

It is one I purchased myself, one of the 3D printed mini's that Kingdom Death has put out.

It has some Reaper acrylics and primer on it. I will give it a soak in some IPA and see what happens.

• Like 1

So, update on this. I dropped the mini into a cup with some 91% IPA in it and left it there until I got home, so about 11ish hours. It has done a very good job at softening the paint and primer and it comes off fairly easily with a toothbrush. The mini was not sealed at all so that probably helps. It's also probably fouled some of the superglue but... well these are fairly easy to assemble if it comes to that.

I did end up getting some 99% IPA at the store today, just in case and I have put it in that solution as well. Some of the nooks and cranny's are hard to get to and that might help(?) clean them. Although, this may be a good time to invest in an ultrasonic cleaner...

Thank you for the help!

• Like 2

As a note... I know a lot of guys who do photoresin use simple green as part of the post-processing because it's a solvent for the uncured resin but leaves the cured resin alone, so if you need to do this to something else in the future it would be worth trying.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2020 at 6:45 PM, Cygnwulf said:

As a note... I know a lot of guys who do photo resin use simple green as part of the post-processing because it's a solvent for the uncured resin but leaves the cured resin alone, so if you need to do this to something else in the future it would be worth trying.

IPA is also used and what I would recommend for stripping most photo resins, although you may find it strange on some castable or flexible ones in which case you may be better re printing.

On 3/4/2020 at 3:19 AM, Illithar said:

So, update on this. I dropped the mini into a cup with some 91% IPA in it and left it there until I got home, so about 11ish hours. It has done a very good job at softening the paint and primer and it comes off fairly easily with a toothbrush. The mini was not sealed at all so that probably helps. It's also probably fouled some of the superglue but... well these are fairly easy to assemble if it comes to that.

I did end up getting some 99% IPA at the store today, just in case and I have put it in that solution as well. Some of the nooks and cranny's are hard to get to and that might help(?) clean them. Although, this may be a good time to invest in an ultrasonic cleaner...

Thank you for the help!

Please Do NOT use 99% IPA in an ultrasonic its extremely flammable and most ultrasonic cleaners have a heating element. Unless you want your house to be a bbq. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Lidless Eye
      Figured I'd put together one big thread of my recently finished 3D prints.  Everything was printed on an Elegoo Mars.

Titan Behemoth from Duncan Shadow Louca:

Cyclops Behemoth, also from Duncan Shadow Louca:

A scale shot of those two, with Sir Forscale and a not-Johann the Running Man as my plastic one is broken:

Which leads into:

"You don't STINK like a peasant." "You don't DRESS like a peasant." "And you're definitely not ON FIRE like a peasant."
      Fleeing Peasants off Thingiverse:

"So yeah, the treasure chest gets up and decks you."

Brawler Mimics off Thingiverse:

Vapour Snakes off Thingiverse:

Spell Effects from Vae Victis:

Cook, also from Vae Victis:

Angry Barmaid, from Titan Forge

Urd, from The Lost Dragons

• By MusicalFeline
      So, first off, sorry if this is in the wrong category. Wasn’t sure which one to put it in, so.... Here it is.

As I’ve been painting for a while, the thought of “hey, maybe I should print my own minis” popped into my head. I pursued this thought a while, and then determined that yeah,  I should probably go ask the professionals. So, here I am, rapid-firing questions like a nitwit.

First of all, what are some of the pros and cons? It would seem that it’d be cheaper in the long haul, but don’t you have to buy the 3D model as well? (But MF, you could finally make those minis you’ve made in your spare time on Hero Forge.......)... What are some of y’all’s pros and cons?

Second off, what printer? From my research, it seems that resin provides the most detail, but is more expensive, so I’d like to avoid it if at all possible. I’ve heard that the Creality Ender 3 seems to be best for the rookie on a budget (which I am in the largest sense of the word), but is it really?

Lastly, is it actually worth it in the end? In both the regards of pleasure with the final product and economically?

All thoughts and advice is needed and appreciated! Thanks, all!
    • By Lidless Eye
      I figured I'd do one mega-gallery of the first of my resin 3D printed miniatures.  All are done on an Elegoo Mars.

Oni Kyojin from Artisan Guild.  My first printed, as they were pre-supported.

Rangers of Shadow Deep: Incinerator left me with a hankering for an old-school Ogre.  This guy is not really a Heroquest Ogre but a 3D print from a scan of one.

Demihuman Zombies from DuncanShadow:

Kobolds from DuncanShadow:

Warforged from Fabio Schizzo:

Orcs from Artisan Guild:

An assorted collection from The Lost Dragons Kickstarter.

A Dragonborn Paladin and High Elf Druid representing my sister in law and her husband's characters for our Storm King's Thunder campaign from said assortment:

• By Kangaroorex
      I had a couple of merchant ships 3d printed for me and while I was at it I thought I would paint up the merchant ships I have from the old Firestorm Armada game.

So from Battlefleet Gothic we have
      2 general merchants
      3 container transports
      4 gas transports

The 3d printing is a little too obvious for my tastes in the ship and there were just too many details for sanding or filling.  I would have liked the print to be finer but this was the first time, we can see what happens in the future.  Overall it was fun to rip apart all the supports and see the ship show up underneath.  I am happy with the results and they will make a nice little convoy to protect for scenerios in either BFG or Firestorm or any of the other space combat games out there.

From firestorm armada we have
      2 luxury liners
      2 cargo transports
      1 gas mining and refinery ship.

hope you like them

• By Jasper_the_2nd
      Hey look, yet another Jasper topic.....

But this one is different (I hope).  I actually have a time frame in mind, to get this finished before the end of 2020, and submitted for the annual diorama contest.

I love dioramas, and I've been pretty happy with the few I've made. BUT I always put off getting started and then end up rushing over Christmas to get everything done.
      So this year I'm starting in January (if just barely) so that I will hopefully get some stuff done before December.

I've had the idea for this diorama since the very first moment I saw my first "sneak preview" of Khanjira (that would have been approximately Fri, Oct 25, 2013, 7:57 PM ADT, according to when I got the email from Kickstarter).
      My first though was something like "What a beast! Imagine if he was fighting something from a smaller scale, like CAV...."
      So that has been bouncing around in my head ever since.  
      Then I was messaging with @Pochi a few weeks ago about the contests and got talking about dioramas, and I mentioned this idea, and she said I HAD to do it.....so here we are. 

Basic concept is the classic Kaiju attacking a future city harbour. CAVs (any or all of tanks, vehicles, mechs, infantry, maybe even aircraft) defending. (I briefly considered going even smaller scale as I have quite a bit of 6mm stuff too, but CAVs are easier to work with,  I have about a billion of them, and they are awesome).

Today was a beginning.  I grabbed some stuff and laid it out just to get an idea of a size I'm going to want.

Obviously I just grabbed what was handy to get some scale. Khanjira is represented by my 7 days Khanjira (handy, that ). I plan to try to get him a little more upright, since he won't be on his base and at least his front foot will be "under water". With his pose (which I don't think I have the skill or know how to adjust too much) I'm thinking maybe an elevated highway that he has just crushed to be what his right leg is on.  That or a boat of some sort....we'll see.
      The box is just a reference for the land, glasses are just some buildings.  I'm picturing something similar to the Halifax waterfront with boardwalks or something and docks/jetties (the grey upside down drawer represents) and then big buildings. Army will be in place along the waterfront, so some barricades and stuff. Possibly a trench of energy blasted ruin from the "breath weapon" if I think I can pull that off.  Again, we'll see.
      So just from the mock up, this is going to be fairly massive...like approaching 2 foot kind of dimensions 
      Not something I would do if I was following advice on building award winning dioramas, but then that's not what I'm focusing on.  I just want to make the image in my mind a reality, and I'm using the contest deadline to hopefully focus me.
      I'm also going to have to learn to do a bunch of new stuff for this, which should be fun!

Step one will be to dig out my other Khanjira and start cleaning up up.  And decide on what I'm going to use for a base for this thing.....

• Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 30 Guests (See full list)