Sign in to follow this  
SamuraiJack

WARCASTER: Neo-Mechanika

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/privateerpress/warcaster-neo-mechanika

Story

d5c8e9a1d9cdc7109f5ca05a86ec4ed9_origina
b907e140b4fd523dfeba986c1bd2c3f3_origina
21aa321373552c0860ce9c0c8083c875_origina

Warcaster: Neo-Mechanika is a high-speed hobby miniatures game in which players collect and customize a battle force of 35 mm-scale warriors and warjacks and play out epic, scenario-driven battles across a tabletop.  

8605923303684042d376e0bddfe119fb_origina
1e7ea0562bed24ee95772054a9490254_origina

A Warcaster is the pinnacle of power, a being capable of harnessing and manipulating the cosmic forces that can fuel mechanika and conjure ancient reality-warping Cyphers. The mind of a Warcaster has been forged into the ultimate weapon: by channeling Arcanessence, they are able to coordinate an entire battle force while simultaneously augmenting that force’s combat prowess by remotely channeling arcane energies into their weapons, armor, and even their formidable war machines.  In a galaxy beleaguered by constant conflict, the Warcasters are the champions of their nations, worlds, and empires, waging war with each other like gods moving pieces across a chessboard.

f3a02d8d7d1494d105d9fabd9a4dcb19_origina

In Warcaster: Neo-Mechanika, YOU are the Warcaster. You are not a pawn on the tabletop; you are the god making the moves. Charged with valuable Arcanessence, you will customize your powers and the load outs of your warjacks, choose the composition of your battle force, and lay waste to all that stands before you. 

PP seem to be planning to run multiple kickstarters for the entire range, one after another. This will piss of the retailers and FLGS.

I don't see this ending well for them, long term. I might get an army and rulebook from sheer nostalgia, but I haven't managed to play warmahordes for a couple years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Club said:

I might get an army and rulebook from sheer nostalgia, but I haven't managed to play warmahordes for a couple years.

Is Warcaster the same, or near-same, rules as Warmachine but re-skinned / re-vamped for Science Fiction?  That is what the picture suggests.

Oh No...

9 hours ago, SamuraiJack said:

...in a galaxy beleaguered by constant conflict...

Not again... :ik_oops:

That does it!  I am going to write a big stompy robots game that is set in a galaxy close, close, by; where there has been naught but peace and tranquility for 39, 000 years.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Is Warcaster the same, or near-same, rules as Warmachine but re-skinned / re-vamped for Science Fiction?  That is what the picture suggests.

Oh No...

Not again... :ik_oops:

That does it!  I am going to write a big stompy robots game that is set in a galaxy close, close, by; where there has been naught but peace and tranquility for 39, 000 years.

Answer appears to be alternate distant future of warmachine.  With rules closer to monsterpocalypse

Edited by Werkrobotwerk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Looks neat, but sorry PP, Infinity took all my money.....

Probably will be a similar story for me, although it will be more terrain related (and some equivalents of the reinforcement packs purchased from the standard packs) 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Club said:

PP seem to be planning to run multiple kickstarters for the entire range, one after another. This will piss of the retailers and FLGS.

I don't see this ending well for them, long term. I might get an army and rulebook from sheer nostalgia, but I haven't managed to play warmahordes for a couple years.

Well, would retailers and the FLGS actually be into this game anyway?  I mean, they did that with Riot Quest, so they'll have those numbers for comparison.

There are definitely scenarios in which this is a better distribution plan than normal retail. It has worked very well for a lot of board games- I wonder if this will make it work for a tabletop miniatures game.

So I am interested to see how the experiment goes for them.

2 hours ago, odinsgrandson said:

Well, would retailers and the FLGS actually be into this game anyway?  I mean, they did that with Riot Quest, so they'll have those numbers for comparison.

There are definitely scenarios in which this is a better distribution plan than normal retail. It has worked very well for a lot of board games- I wonder if this will make it work for a tabletop miniatures game.

So I am interested to see how the experiment goes for them.

this is entirely anecdotal, but I have seen riot quest minis in 4 stores, but I have never seen the base game.

quarter of a million so far. Considering battletech was doing far better this point in their campaign, and that warmahordes used to be huge, it isn't encouraging.

haven't really studied it - somebody said it bears more resemblance to monsterpocolypse?

I like the Iron Star Alliance and the Marcher Worlds minis.

The only minis I like from the Aeternus Continuum are the two warjacks.

4 hours ago, Club said:

quarter of a million so far. Considering battletech was doing far better this point in their campaign, and that warmahordes used to be huge, it isn't encouraging.

haven't really studied it - somebody said it bears more resemblance to monsterpocolypse?

it uses similar dice, and spawning mechanics. it's not a 1 to 1 match for monsterpocalypse.

they posted a video of an example game a week before launch

• Like 1

On 3/4/2020 at 11:15 PM, Club said:

Well, this is pretty common for boardgames. Frex, with Zombicide, they had a KS for each new base game standalone. The idea is that backers new to the entire game line will go to retail to get stock that isn't offered in the current KS. I'm backing the Loke Battlemats "Towns and Taverns" book of maps, and the creator is asking backers interested in their previous Dungeons books to buy them retail.

My question is if there's room for yet another "lifestyle" miniatures game. $130 buy-in for a two-faction starter set is not cheap, and a regular player would be spending hundreds of dollars more on additional miniatures and any other factions. On top of this, to play the game, you need that critical mass of opponents who will also spend that much money to play it. Or are backers backing the project because it's Privateer Press and they like the sculpts?