Sign in to follow this  
Rahz

Portal

Very nice use of the material.  I hope mine looks half as good. 

• Thanks 1

I printed this one on my fdm printer. I might need a do-over now!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jdizzy001 said:

Great print and a great prop. What settings and printer did you use?

Thank you.  Printed on the Elegoo Mars with Elegoo regular clear resin mixed with Elegoo ABS-like clear red (in the area of 50/50 but I don't measure).  0.04mm with 9 seconds exposure.  8 bottom layers at 60 or 65 seconds exposure.  Haven't used any antialiasing, but I will be trying it soon as there are some layer marks left on this and more so on the larger pieces I've done so I'll be trying to get rid of those.  

36 minutes ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

Do you think it'd be possible to install a tea light or something into the base that would make the portal and gems glow while the painted areas would be obscured still?

I actually tried and the paint is not opaque enough so it shines through the paint a little.  It is hollowed out so I could get an LED right under the crystal clusters which add a cute effect, but the bleed through the rest of the paint bothers me.  I'll try to snap a picture tonight.  Masking the swirl/crystals and using a heavier rattle can primer might work better in these cases.  I've put a lot of coats of paint on my necron objectives and the light still shines through some of the paint.  

2 hours ago, Rahz said:

I actually tried and the paint is not opaque enough so it shines through the paint a little.  It is hollowed out so I could get an LED right under the crystal clusters which add a cute effect, but the bleed through the rest of the paint bothers me.  I'll try to snap a picture tonight.  Masking the swirl/crystals and using a heavier rattle can primer might work better in these cases.  I've put a lot of coats of paint on my necron objectives and the light still shines through some of the paint.  

Curses!

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Bustawolf
      Found the 3d model while browsing Pinterest and reached out to the designer and they sent me the file so I could have it printed 

• By Rahz
      As an entry to @Glitterwolf’s painting Pandemic challenge I figured I’d try something a little different.  I printed up this scaled-down nurse from Silent Hill.  Plan is to have her with a wall that is flaking away (crackle paint is the intent here) and dirty tile floor.  

a long time ago (I swore I had it bookmarked but alas...) I found a write-up by an individual who painted up some amazing veiny zombie skin using batting as a mask for the airbrush with the dark bruised colours going on first before adding the skin tone overtop.  Since I can’t find the reference, I’m going on trial and error and some fuzzy memory.  

im going to have to be very careful with the cleaver as it is less than 1mm thick. 

primed white and her dress was then covered with tape to minimize cleanup later. 

A good vibrant purple (mix of warcolours Violet 5 and Vallejo game air alien purple). Never planned on painting a zombie purple before.  

Then I hit it, using some batting that I teased and stretched out with Vallejo game air electric blue.  The right, her left, leg turned out better but it’s more splotchy than veiny.  I feel for the skin layer I’ll need a finer mesh (more space between) but thicker strands.  Will have to play with the batting to see what I can come up with.  

Thinking of priming up a couple plastic spoons to try this on to see how things turn out before I attack her.  Hope to start some work on the base tomorrow night. 

Thanks for looking.  

• By Glitterwolf
      I have yet to unpack the Elegoo Mars.
      However I installed Chitubox.

I have now loaded files.
      As recommended on Youtube I filled the bed with several minis to print.
      And I laid them flat to speed up the printing process and tilted them a little.

Test subjects:

Snake Warrior Cobra ( with base) Bat Demon Small Foo Dog statues Asian Ghost Oni in three parts.  

Added the automated supports.

• By Rahz
      After having whipped up a bunch of cake decorations on my 3D printer for my daughter’s birthday (Disney Descendants stuff), my son figured he should get the same treatment.  While this is unlikely to go on his cake, after watching the Mandalorian, like many, he was smitten by the Child, specifically the soup scene.  

this is a pretty quick job of base coat, drybrush then wash (repeated on the clothes because I tried to dirty them up and made a mess), with a bit of more delicate work around the eyes.  

The vallejo water effect in the cup clouded a little  but it should clear up in a couple days.  

Am quite happy with the little fellow and Mrs. Rahz is thrilled and hope my little dude will as well. 

thanks for looking. 
    • By Rahz
      Another 3D print that I’m working on, this time a big one.  I’ve shoes away from buying/printing dragons for the most part as I have a ton of amazing Reaper ones still to paint (or finish... ) but this one was a freebie of sorts from one of the creators I follow on Patreon.  

In keeping with my clear resin tricks, I whipped up the base really quickly and then stalled on how I was going to paint the actual dragon...  oops!  

I masked off the crystals and plugged the holes for the feet and primed it with a mix of brown and grey Vallejo primers, drybrushed it with a tan followed by a tan mixed with white and then it got a series of Vallejo model washes (green, grey and dark brown).  I then peeled off the mask and gave the crystals a quick coat with Tamiya Clear Green.  

For the actual dragon, the plan now is to paint the heavier scales like the base with the softer belly and flesh being brown.  

Like my recent plague doctor bust, I masked his eyes so they will be the same green as the crystals on his base.  I toyed with putting a light in his head as well, but seems to be doing that to everything all of a sudden, and skipped it.  

in case you’re wondering about the pink, that’s what mixing the Vallejo red and grey primers did. The base was that colour before the drybrush and washes. 

Hoping to get some more work on the brown and get the drybrush done on his scales this weekend.  That’s going to be a lot of drybrushing!! 

Thanks for looking.  
  • Who's Online   14 Members, 0 Anonymous, 62 Guests (See full list)