Removing molded bases from Runewars miniatures?

Kennet

Hello All!

Apologies if this doesn't go here, but I figured this was a good a place as any to start.

I have a number of the Runewars minis that I have picked up and I'd really like to try and re-base them from their default chunky circle bases. I thought they were just glued on but it appears that they are cast as one part (the base, feet and legs). I tried a hobby saw at first and ended up using clippers to just break the base up but it seems like a messy solution. I haven't had much luck finding anything with googling.

So has anybody else tried this and have any better ideas? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't have Runewars, but I've removed the bases from similar figures. For thinner bases, I use a sprue cutter to remove the bulk of the plastic, then trim with a hobby knife. The sprue cutter is sharp enough to be fairly precise (never use it on anything but plastic, btw.)

For very thick bases, I would use a razor saw to remove the mass of the base, then continue as before.

And yes, it's messy, sorry.

• Like 2

Are you just re-basing them?  If so there's no reason really to remove the base.  Plop in a recessed/rimmed base and add details to fill in.  If you have steady hands you could try a sanding table, inverted belt sander (orbital might work), or grinder to just grind the base away.  Sounds like they might be pretty stout--I have no exp with those.

• Like 1

@cmorse - I had thought about using a hot wire cutter but I was concerned about potential fumes being given off. I don't have ventilation for that type of experiment, unfortunately.

@BLZeebub - I am trying to fit them on square bases for warhammer / kings of war. I thought it was going to be best to get rid of the molded base so they would sit better. I might try cutting away just the outer part of the base and then seeing how that looks on top of a square. Probably could build the base up to cover up what's left.

50 minutes ago, Kennet said:

@cmorse - I had thought about using a hot wire cutter but I was concerned about potential fumes being given off. I don't have ventilation for that type of experiment, unfortunately.

@BLZeebub - I am trying to fit them on square bases for warhammer / kings of war. I thought it was going to be best to get rid of the molded base so they would sit better. I might try cutting away just the outer part of the base and then seeing how that looks on top of a square. Probably could build the base up to cover up what's left.

No, I wouldn't do that at all. What I was referring to is that a lot of plastic minis get very soft in sub-boiling water, almost to the point of gummy. At that point you can easily slice through them with an hobby knife or razor blade. Once cool they go back to being firm. How well would work depends on the plastic used.

• Like 1