Sign in to follow this  
GHarris

Sculpting a Neogi

6 hours ago, Disciple of Sakura said:

Those hands do look much better. I hadn't thought about it, but the claws were very genestealer-esque.

Thanks! It's one of those things where once you see it you can't unsee it. I tried to position the hands and arms with an eye toward how the model might have to potentially be molded. I am hoping for a three piece model- base, body and neck/head with a cut where the neck meets the top of the little armor decoration. I think with the model's relative smallness all of the legs can be kept attached to the body. That should save some time on assembly!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, criticalhit said:

I'm more excited to see a finished version of this model than anything else!

Thanks! I want to see him finished too! I've liked these guys since they first appeared in 2nd edition. 

I've been thinking about your post about having three of these guys in a set. Not a bad idea! I've been mulling over how to do a medium sized one and have it still fit on a 25mm base.....I may have to take some creative license there. One thing that's throwing me off is I made this one halfling sized- which as about right as they are about 3' tall. The issue I would run into is technically the miniature halfling I used for reference is out of scale. Not knocking the halfling model by any means, it looks cool at that size, but it is about 23mm tall. Considering a 6' tall human is about 32mm tall that halfling should only be about 16mm tall, so the halfling is almost 50% bigger than it should be. I don't want to make the Neogi any smaller as you will start to lose detail and those hands and legs are going to become really tiny. This may be a situation where we need to let the Rule of Cool win out!

What I would love to do is make a Neogi riding around on an old school Umber Hulk's shoulder like an evil parrot! That may be tough though as Umber Hulks are WOTC protected creatures. But oh man how awesome would that be?

• Like 3

Got some more work done!

I redid the fur on his abdomen and underside. I'm thinking it looks much better now. Basically I remeshed the parts until I had lots o' polys (I think I'm allowed to say "lots o' polys" on St. Patrick's Day?) then drew in the basic stands with a custom hair strands brush. I then went over them again with the same brush, then switched to the Orb Cracks brush to refine things.

I repositioned the hands and arms..again...because I just can't seem to stop tweaking them. I added in a bracer made from a hollowed out cylinder base to give painters a little more to paint. I brought out the ridge line on the spines just a smidge and added a small notch to his neck plate. I'll probably need to make the notch a bit bigger so it will show up, but I do feel a little bad..... some poor minion worked really hard to make that plate just to have me come along and put a dent in it! 

697847415_NeogiNewBottom.thumb.jpg.ccee750afb863d2c3d3c55ca89103c2c.jpg

One thing I will have to do is go back and rework his teeth. For one they should be made a tad bit uneven just on principle. The other, as can be seen in the dentist's nightmare picture below is several teeth aren't anchored to the inside of the mouth. Now this model will be relatively small, and Dynameshing and the printing process might take care of the gap between the inside of the teeth and the inside of the mouth, but it is best to be sure there won't be any unexpected undercuts later. I'll probably drag the inside of the teeth inwards with the Move brush and Backface Masking on, plus build up the inside ridge of the mouth a bit more.

73060398_Neogiteeth.thumb.jpg.a9136b909c8327fdeda2d38682a71cdc.jpg

• Like 9

On 3/16/2020 at 6:44 PM, GHarris said:

What I would love to do is make a Neogi riding around on an old school Umber Hulk's shoulder like an evil parrot! That may be tough though as Umber Hulks are WOTC protected creatures. But oh man how awesome would that be?

Umber Hulks may be copyrighted, but Burrowing Behemoths don't appear to be!

https://www.reapermini.com/search/bones black/latest/44058

• Like 3

Hey Glen,

I have one critique for you.  First, over all this model is excellent and I love everything, except for the facial expression.  The way you have its mouth shaped is more a grimace of pain than a snarl of anger and doesn't quite feel right given the anger in the eyes and such.  The upper rear corner of the mouth is too high and you need  to reflect the snarl in the face in wrinkles and the eye shape.

Capture.JPG.b141f4b319b7647ddf0844cba8d1ca5b.JPG

(pardon my bad drawing)

That's all I have for you.  The rest is great!

• Like 6

19 hours ago, criticalhit said:

Umber Hulks may be copyrighted, but Burrowing Behemoths don't appear to be!

https://www.reapermini.com/search/bones black/latest/44058

I saw that! It's a great model.

A while back I actually sculpted an old school Umber Hulk. At the time it was deemed to be too close to the official version so he/she/it has languished in digital limbo. I can do a better job with it now, some day I should go back and update the model so I can print one for myself.

1498519505_UmberHulkDualRender.thumb.jpg.870aabdee500db83fc0171f5e7ff1f4c.jpg

Yeah the protected list for WOTC is a bit odd. It has things like the Displacer Beast, which predates D&D, and creatures like Yuan Ti, Beholders, Mind Flayers, Slaad, and Carrion Crawlers, which have "unofficial" versions floating around all over the place. I mean, snake people have been around for a while it isn't like WOTC made them up! Fish people have been around since at least the 20's when Lovecraft was writing about them, yet Kuo Toa are on the list. The one that does disappoint me a bit is the Githyanki/Githzerai- I would love to make some "Astral Pirates" but I would worry that I would run into the same problem as the Umber Hulk. But then again I'm not a lawyer and I am not taking the responsibility for any legal ramifications of selling these models so I totally understand reluctance to produce them.

One other thing to note is many creatures are free to use under the OGL, but the OGL (I think) doesn't extend back to pre-3rd edition material. So new style Burrowing Behemoth may be more acceptable than old school Burrowing Behemoth. That's just speculation on my end though.

11 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Hey Glen,

I have one critique for you.  First, over all this model is excellent and I love everything, except for the facial expression.  The way you have its mouth shaped is more a grimace of pain than a snarl of anger and doesn't quite feel right given the anger in the eyes and such.  The upper rear corner of the mouth is too high and you need  to reflect the snarl in the face in wrinkles and the eye shape.

Capture.JPG.b141f4b319b7647ddf0844cba8d1ca5b.JPG

(pardon my bad drawing)

That's all I have for you.  The rest is great!

Thank you, that is excellent feedback! I was looking to break up the symmetry in the face when I adjusted the teeth anyways and you gave me some great food for thought!

Nobody deserves to have symmetry face. It's a silent epidemic. A little nudge here and there can make all the difference!

• Like 4

Tweaked the teeth, tweaked the face, I think we are about done! Talespinner's advice was spot on!

2047305743_NeogiNewFace1.jpg.54e41d57e1bf786383bffdd20f0de4d2.jpg

1594670480_NeogiNewFace2.jpg.aa014e22428e827ccf06bb04362108be.jpg

1096551104_NeogiTurnaround.thumb.jpg.0deaf8458f0e997ec8370f5afeb005d5.jpg

I managed to (mostly) keep him contained on a 25mm base, that should help with battlemat users...

934159971_NeogiNewFace4.jpg.262db9109051361dac11eafb4148d644.jpg

Comments and criticisms welcome!

• Like 14

10 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Sweet! I mean this in the best of way: he is one ugly M____F______.  Well, done!

Thank you, I was going for ugly and creepy! These guys were bad news in Spelljammer, even worse news now that they can be found anywhere in 5e- not just in Wildspace!

• Like 3

7 hours ago, GHarris said:

Thank you, I was going for ugly and creepy! These guys were bad news in Spelljammer, even worse news now that they can be found anywhere in 5e- not just in Wildspace!

Mission accomplished.

• Like 3