Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
SparrowMarie

Wizkids Beholder

Recommended Posts

Very nice! I couldn’t figure out what the heck to do with that clear piece that snaps over the main eye...don’t think I’ve ever seen it used.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jellyranger69 said:

Very nice! I couldn’t figure out what the heck to do with that clear piece that snaps over the main eye...don’t think I’ve ever seen it used.

 

I've seen it used but it just makes the eye look cloudy. I think it looks much better without.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if you planned to paint directly onto the inside of that clear piece as well as the eyeball itself you might get some interesting results... like say the iris on the clear cover and the pupil directly on the eyeball sort of idea.

 

Of course I haven’t done any of this myself so it could also turn out horrible.

Proceed at own risk.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Darsc Zacal said:

I think if you planned to paint directly onto the inside of that clear piece as well as the eyeball itself you might get some interesting results... like say the iris on the clear cover and the pupil directly on the eyeball sort of idea.

 

Of course I haven’t done any of this myself so it could also turn out horrible.

Proceed at own risk.

 

I hadn't actually planned on using the clear piece but that does sound like something I could play around with were I ever to acquire another one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, SparrowMarie said:

 

I've seen it used but it just makes the eye look cloudy. I think it looks much better without.

I dipped it in clear Minwax, which got rid of the cloudiness, and acted as the glue. *EDIT* Future Floor Polish can be used the exact same way - whatever it is called these days.

 

*EDIT 2* I was so tempted to give the beholder pink eye... The varnish flowing from the lens would have made a nice seeping eye.

 

The second one I glued it in place, and just painted over it.

 

The Auld Grump

Edited by TheAuldGrump
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/10/2020 at 6:38 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

I dipped it in clear Minwax, which got rid of the cloudiness, and acted as the glue. *EDIT* Future Floor Polish can be used the exact same way - whatever it is called these days.

 

*EDIT 2* I was so tempted to give the beholder pink eye... The varnish flowing from the lens would have made a nice seeping eye.

 

The second one I glued it in place, and just painted over it.

 

The Auld Grump


So THAT’S what y’all are doing with the floor wax....brilliant! Thanks for the tip!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jellyranger69 said:


So THAT’S what y’all are doing with the floor wax....brilliant! Thanks for the tip!

 

Long before it was discovered by miniature painters scale modelers were using it on cockpit and car windows.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Kangaroorex
      my second dragon for the month.  I didn't put a huge amount of work into this one.  one of my goals was to see how well the contrast paints would work to bring out the basic shading and normal tone for the dragon hide rather than having to hand paint all the scaling.  It didn't work too badly.  I did wind up having to do some significant highlighting and I had to do some additional shading work on the underbelly but overall the effect was pretty good for the time spent.  I probably should have done more with the wings but I just didn't have any inspiration for them.  the sections were pretty small and very flat.  I might go back and do something but for now just blue is where this young guy is.
       
      I did find the base to be pretty cool.  Hope you like him




    • By SparrowMarie
      Painted this up. Finally attached her to the base. Not sure if I want to just paint black over the base or do something fancy with it.
       

    • By Kangaroorex
      For some reason this month i decided to concentrate on one eyed floating monsters.  Next in line was the Wizkids beholder.  Somewhat hard to find at one time.  I got one and then lost the urge to paint it.  Finally got around to it and discovered that mine apparently never got past mardi-gras and crowned himself in blues and yellows.  fun paint job but it got a little weird having all those eyes staring at me while painting...
       



    • By Adrift
      Ten of the 23 minis I’ve painted since my post in March. 
       
      Monsters = tabletop
      Humanoids = above tabletop
       
      Sinisthreax (14634) is an ultra-complicated sculpt. He’s a noctiny (5e kobold press) recurring villain in my dnd game. You’ll note one eye is normal along with that side of his face. 
       
      Silas (03010) the human cleric I wanted to dingy up with blood spatter. I imagine his name is Bret and he does not appreciate being called a heal-bot. 

      The Dragonborn (Wizkids), half-orc (red box games) and deep gnome (Bones) are all new players in my dnd game which has grown from 3 players to 7 in rapid order. 
       
      Narbaz is a tiefling from Red Box Games and I like the OSL I got from below, but not from the staff. I really just got sick of it and called it done. 


















  • Who's Online   5 Members, 0 Anonymous, 37 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...