Sign in to follow this  
Pingo

Adepticon 2020 is Cancelled because of the Global Pandemic

What it says on the tin.

https://www.adepticon.org/2020/03/12/adepticon-2020-has-been-cancelled/?fbclid=IwAR1vmKHnPEbrvRc_fmAwXjKWFMNKGK0qPqeujZVGeAuINUA3lSRuBXzBqQU

While we continued planning and did everything in our power to see AdeptiCon run as normal, we are now following both government guidance and our own judgement concerning the COVID-19 virus in cancelling the 2020 convention scheduled for March 25th-29th.

Condolences to those who were looking forward to attending. Please consider looking up some of the vendors and giving them some of your business. This is going to hurt them, especially the smaller ones.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

I'm bummed.  I planned on dumping a lot of stuff in the Bitz trading, and then buying all new shineys.  It's been a lousy last 12 months, and I really needed the convention to relax.  It is what it is, and I'm not mad at the organizers, but I am not a happy gamer right now.

• Like 2

I wonder if TTCombat will offer up their usual table bundles online instead.  I've always wanted one of those bundles (or two, or three), but in the past you had to be at the con to get the deals... 

• Like 2

With the new baby at home and taking care of her 16 hrs a day this was going to be my much needed getaway. I mean I understand but it looks like 2020 will be my first conless year. I hope the con can financially recover as I imagine they break even every year and this could kill them.

• Like 2

Not really surprised. Left and right, I'm seeing events both big and small getting cancelled. It can be a major bummer for a lot of people.

Hope most people can get a reimbursement on their event ticket/hotel/air fare, etc.

• Like 4

Wasn’t surprised. We got our rooms cancelled last night. 

A local friend here in central Illinois that normally goes suggested we just get our gas masks and game in the basement :huh:

We also just got word that all schools are going to be cancelled for the rest of the month in Illinois. 

• Like 3

It's the right move. If an event is in the next month and big enough to draw travelers who are taking a plane it should cancel or post pone. If it's anywhere near a place that has active infections and bigger than 250 people it should cancel.

Either way they did the right thing.

• Like 6

So what happens after April?  

7, 770, 770, 770 people enter the month of March......  7, 537, 647, 647  remain on April 1st?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TGP said:

So what happens after April?  

7, 770, 770, 770 people enter the month of March......  7, 537, 647, 647  remain on April 1st?

We don't know what happens on April 1.

You can just kind of expect a wave of cancellations that moves outward from here until this thing gets under control. Some groups will cancel early hoping to avoid costs, some will wait until fairly close to their scheduled date in hopes that something will happen to end the pandemic. (weather, sufficient people having had it to break transmission, successful containment, vaccine, or what ever)

• Like 4

I'm bummed since I was looking forward to working the Reaper booth, chatting with Pingo and other painting friends, and taking a couple of classes.

But, it's the right thing to do, especially since we're very much in the early part of the COVID-19 spread in the US.  Based on China's experience, I expect that we'll be living disrupted lives for at least 2-3 months.  

There was a noticeable drop in the number of people on our corporate campus from Wednesday to Thursday.  My team started working from home on Friday.  I expect that we'll all be told to work from home within a week or two.  When that notice goes out, the effect will be pretty devastating on the hundreds of facilities and catering staff who support us.

Ron

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Yeah. Naka-Con was cancelled this weekend after early registration had opened.

I do not disagree with the decision. They are doing the best they possibly can. 

But for me, this is really awful. I have not had a fun vacation since ReaperCon. I have put a lot of time and energy into costuming and preparing for this weekend. There was also a large emotional investment. I work at a nursing home and things have been really intense at work. This is reasonable and not an over-reaction. Things will continue to be intense for quite a while and I really needed a con this weekend to decompress. I am very disappointed and am fighting depression right now. And the person who accused me of trying to kill grandma because I am upset that con did not happen is not helping :grr::grr::grr:

• Like 1
  • Sad 13

I saw on their website that Naka con is offering refunds, at least.  They're looking for another date, too.

If it helps, I'm sort of local and we could get together sometime. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1