Sign in to follow this  
Loim

Quick and Easy Cuisine

I work 12 hour shifts an hour away from home, so the crock pot is my best friend. Here's a few of my favorites.

Nacho chicken

Chicken thighs or breasts

Can of Rotel

Packet of taco seasoning.

Low for 4 hours, then just let it stay on keep warm. 

Shred it up, put it on tacos.

Green Chile pork

Pork roast

Jar of green salsa

4 oz can of green chilies

Chopped onion

Handful of cilantro

Put the onion in the bottom, pork loin on top. Pour everything else on top. 6 hours on low, keep warm the rest of the day.

Shred it up, put it on tacos.

(See a theme?)

Chicken tortilla soup

Shredded chicken (I buy a rotisserie chicken and shred it up)

Can of corn

Can of beans (I use one pinto and one black)

Can of Rotel

Can of green chiles

Chopped onion

6 cups of chicken broth

Taco seasoning (cumin, chili powder)

Cilantro

Mix it all up, just has to get warm. 

Serve it over cheese and tortilla chips with avocado. 

Those are our faves. I have more if requested. Lol

• Like 6

I have fallen in love with Penzeys parmesean peppercorn salad dressing mix. (they have a website which I probably am not allowed to link, and most states have a store) I mix the loose spice mix with olive oil and keep it in a jar.  I use it to drizzle on french bread slices.  I usually top the bread with a meat- like smoked turkey,  pepperoni or nice sliced salami.  Then put a tomato slice next,  and top with sliced mozarella cheese. I bake until nicely toasted in the oven.  I usually put it in a cold oven, preheat while it sits there and cook an additional few minutes after the oven dings.  I add my fresh basil from the garden after baking. It makes a great open-faced sandwich. I bake them on my baking sheet a bunch at a time and eat them over several days. they reheat well. I pretend I'm getting in my vegetables that way!

• Like 6

3 hours ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Shredded meat for tacos:

Brown either chicken thighs or country style ribs in a pan.  Add some salsa verde until the meat is half covered.  Cook at a simmer until meat is easily shredded, stirring occasionally.   Shred.

I do this in a slow cooker too. 

• Like 5

Best one I can provide is slumgullion that my family made when I was growing up:

ground meat, any type or sausage

1 can chopped tomatoes

1 chopped onion

3-5 cloves garlic

1 can tomato sauce

1 box of elbow noodles

1 tsp of oregano

1 tsp salt

1 cup chicken broth (or beef, or turkey, or even water)

black pepper to taste

brown the meat if its not already cooked

throw everything in a large pot with the meat

cook until water is absorbed

Serve warm

for my family this was always a sort of stone soup and I have had it with shredded turkey from thanksgiving, diced ham from new years or easter, with lamb and chicken.  the pasta was usually elbows but other types snuck in too. 

• Like 6

Crock pot lasagna

Pour some premade pasta sauce to cover the bottom of the pan. Put premade ravioli in a layer on top, cover with mozzarella . Repeat a couple of layers, cook for 2 hours and good to go.

• Like 10

I just discovered Butternut Squash. The vegetarians must not be talking about it much so that the omnivores don't buy them all up.

I chopped it into ~3/4in chunks after peeling it and pulling out the guts. I drizzled avocado oil and maple syrup on it, and tossed it up with garlic salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, white pepper, cumin, and paprika. Then I put it on a cookie sheet spread out and roasted it for 20mins at 425*F.

HOLY COW IT IS YUMMY. Why isn't this like the veggie-eater's bacon? Goddamn. And it was EASY. So much easier to chop than a spaghetti squash!

I also made a sortof stew thing. Made some green lentils with seasoning. Sauteed diced carrots (6 big uns) and a chopped onion with some garlic. Tossed in broccoli florettes. Tossed in a can of chick peas, with the liquid. Tossed in the lentils. Made a bunch of orzo pasta, tossed that in. Ground up some ginger and tossed it in. Salt, pepper, cumin, paprika, white pepper, zatar seasoning, lemon juice, basil.... spices that looked good. Mixed it all up. BOOM. It is really good. Hits the balance of all necessary nutrients, easy to make, and really tasty. I'd originally thought I'd do a soup, but it was better as a stew-mix thing so I didn't add the veggie broth.

• Like 8
  • Haha 2

Butternut squash is wonderful.  You can microwave it. You can boil it (but there are tastier methods). You can bake it. You can fry it. Anything you can do with a sweet potato you can do with a squash. 

I cut one in half, carefully, with a sharp knife.  Scoop out the innards, there isn't much.  Place the two halves in a casserole dish with half an inch of water, and cover tightly with foil.  Bake @400F for about an hour or until a fork pierces the flesh and it is very soft.  Put a pat of butter, a pinch of salt, and a tablespoon of brown sugar in the cavity of each side and pop it back into the oven to melt.

You can do the same in a microwave, with plastic wrap instead of foil. Cook until soft. 

That's it. Grab a fork and eat. Leftovers (ha ha) can be used to thicken stew or chili. 

If you chop it like Cyradis did it is great mixed with other root vegetables (carrots, potatoes, onions) and baked with a little vegetable oil and some salt and herbs. 

Buy one without bruises or soft spots and it will keep a couple of weeks in the fridge. 

• Like 7

Almost forgot, it is super easy to make soup out of.  Cook the squash in any form until it is very soft and tender. Blend in a food processor or using a stick blender (my choice) and add some heavy cream or half & half (or vegetable broth) until it is the consistency you like for soup. Salt and pepper to taste. If you have extra, it can be frozen and heated up later. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

TS mentioning red potatoes reminded me of a shortcut I found. Take small red potatoes, any larger ones, cut down to 1" chunks. Toss in a large glass bowl with some olive oil and seasoning (rosemary or thyme are nice, course salt and fresh ground pepper). Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 10 minutes. Remove from bowl with slotted spoon and spread on a wire rack in a baking sheet and slap it under the broiler to brown (monitor carefully, do not burn! Black = bad, brown = good).

Nice creamy insides from the microwave, crunchy outside from the broiler.

Grill or pan up your protein while it's in the microwave, it can rest the 5 minutes or so while you broil. Veg can get nuked during the tater broil when the microwave is free.

15 minute meal with almost no cleanup and very hands-off prep!

• Like 9

Tonight I'm making a quick curry. 

1 packet Mahatma yellow rice, cooked as directed (or similar brand of choice, or plain rice if that is what you've got)

1 can coconut milk (lite or regular)

1 bag of frozen vegetables (I like an asian blend with broccoli, carrot, edamame and water chestnuts)

1-2 cups of chopped protein of your choice (I'm using  a chicken breast)

curry powder to taste

Make the rice. While it is cooking put the protein in a pan with a little oil and stir fry it until it is firm and slightly browned. It can be slightly undercooked because we are going to continue cooking it....

Open the coconut milk and scrape that out into the pan with the meat.  Warm it until it starts to simmer, then add the bag of frozen vegs and a spoon or two of your favorite curry powder.  Continue simmering until the vegetables are thawed/cooked/hot.  Taste and adjust seasoning (add more curry powder, chili powder, salt and pepper, etc.)   Serve generous amounts of the curry sauce over scoops of hot rice. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

Tonight I'm making a quick curry. 

1 packet Mahatma yellow rice, cooked as directed (or similar brand of choice, or plain rice if that is what you've got)

1 can coconut milk (lite or regular)

1 bag of frozen vegetables (I like an asian blend with broccoli, carrot, edamame and water chestnuts)

1-2 cups of chopped protein of your choice (I'm using  a chicken breast)

curry powder to taste

Make the rice. While it is cooking put the protein in a pan with a little oil and stir fry it until it is firm and slightly browned. It can be slightly undercooked because we are going to continue cooking it....

Open the coconut milk and scrape that out into the pan with the meat.  Warm it until it starts to simmer, then add the bag of frozen vegs and a spoon or two of your favorite curry powder.  Continue simmering until the vegetables are thawed/cooked/hot.  Taste and adjust seasoning (add more curry powder, chili powder, salt and pepper, etc.)   Serve generous amounts of the curry sauce over scoops of hot rice. 

This sounds amazing. I will definitely give this a go once there are actually groceries to buy again.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Loim said:

This sounds amazing. I will definitely give this a go once there are actually groceries to buy again.

If you get the chance, try adding a handful of chopped peanuts, cashews, or coconut flakes to the top. Not essential, but they're nice extras.  And of course, if you like it really hot, add chopped chili peppers.   

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Inarah said:

If you get the chance, try adding a handful of chopped peanuts, cashews, or coconut flakes to the top. Not essential, but they're nice extras.  And of course, if you like it really hot, add chopped chili peppers.   

I like hot, but it doesn't really like me anymore. 

• Like 5

22 hours ago, Cyradis said:

I just discovered Butternut Squash. The vegetarians must not be talking about it much so that the omnivores don't buy them all up.

Welcome to the squash club! I was introduced to it about five years ago.

Since then, I regularly buy them. Either I slice or dice it with olive oil in the oven; or I add some other root vegetables with chicken broth and blend it into a thick satisfying soup.

Butternut squash tip: The seeds are edible and can be roasted! They're super slippery as you pick them out of innards, but once dry, a bit of oil and seasoning and they're a snack comparable to sunflower seeds.

I've also tried buttercup and acorn squash. Pretty similar in flavor, but a bit less versatile because of their shapes.

Question: Have you tried spaghetti squash? Very different than the other squashes, but has it's own unique charm. I like it with plenty of butter and sliced sausage. Seeds are also edible.

• Like 6

I didn't know the seeds were tasty! I'll keep the next ones. I picked up a few more. Have four butternuts and two spaghetti squashes ready to go. How long and at what temperature would you roast them? Poor Sir Cyr is surrounded by carbs. Carbs make sure I actually consume enough calories. Carbs make him fat.

I have made spaghetti squash! I use them when I make my Beyond Meat meatballs. No real meat and they're the best meatballs I've ever made. Good recipe, good sauce, and then put it on spaghetti squash. But the meatballs don't fit the fast cooking requirement. Not really difficult, but not that fast either. Might need to be on the look out for ingredients to make good sauce too; I think the grocery store still has the fake meat.

Downside to the spaghetti squash is that they're SO hard to cut. I think the last one I made went okay, and I microwaved it for a bit before cutting it. One of them was so hard to get into that my knife was stuck for 15mins. Bah! The butternut was easier to chop up.

• Like 4