turtle

Black Inquisition

Book CAV, Second Edition, Pugh, Reaper Press, 2001. This way, we give credit where credit is due.

Book D20 Modern, Wotc, 2002

((Frosch, Nym, Spartan, Ghost, Kamut, Storminator and an Unknown man are in the room))

It is a Simple room - One desk, one chair, one window - Which overlooks the planet below. From this vantagepoint - One can see the other ships arriving and leaving from the spaceport, and the man silently watches them for a few minutes before speaking.

"Welcome." The Man's back is to you, but you can tell from the hairless lumpy head that the man is Malvernian. His Robes and bearing mark him as a Malvernian Inquisitor - a fact almost unbeleivable in light of the circumstances. "You have been hired because you are the best -- and Khardullis needs the best, in this time of crisis."

He turns to look at you - and you can almost sense his disdain. Clearly, even though he says you are the best, there is no masking that he had hoped the best would include fewer Terrans and Adonese. All Malvernians - that might have made him Happy.

"I am Inquisitor Jex - 3rd Prefecture. If you accept my offer - You will be my elite arm - a tool of Khardullis. This bothers none of you, though you are not faithful?"

He pauses. You return silence. "Very Well then. Black Inquisition - I want you to meet your crewmates. These individuals will be your primary allies in our battle. Khardullis ay guide you, though you be infidels, but these men beside you will be your lifelines."

<<Introduce yourselves>>

((Note: Jeremy and Freefall are not present))

A sandy-haired Terran man, in his early thirties, wearing a leather bomber's jacket and Terran-issue jump boots, drops himself into the chair (assuming of course it is not occupied by Jex). He folds his arms, leans back, and gives a cocky grin.

"The best, you say. You must be in crisis to hire a known Terran Christian for the work of Khardullis." He chuckles, then continues. "Very well. I'm Kendrick Loggerhard, formerly Captain, formerly of Terran 43rd Legion, White Knights, Yed. Eight combat kills, twice awarded the Black Star. Pleased to meetcha."

He leans forward, all confidence and ease. "Call me Ken."

A short, slim Malvernian in the back of the room chuckles, "those medals will come in handy when we're picking up chicks." His long, pointy chin and hooked nose, along with bald head and too many teeth, make him look like a fairy tale goblin. Well, if goblins wore sparkly black satin shirts and matching flared-bottom pants.

"Don't worry Terran, Khardullis will protect you," he continues. "I'm Derris Grayver. Honors at Mark IV Academy, couple years with the Autumn Wind, before they went pirate." Derris winks at the Terran, "no medals in Merc outfit, but we made a lot of money. I've spent the last two years flying Weapons on a Ghast. Let me say, Inquisitor, it'll be an honor advancing Khardullis' cause against the infidels."

Derris looks expectantly around the room, waiting for the others to introduce themselves.

PS

The hulking figure at the table next to everyone stands up, his breath heavy and timed in a menacing aura about this man. He looked rough; a huge and muscular black skinned male, bald head with a lazy eye. He takes a step foreword steadily eyeballing the Malvernian, scrutinizing him with a scowl on his face. The Malvernian of course, was un impressed.

“So you got a job for us, HUH!”

He crossed his arms and inhaled a breath, extending his chest muscles foreward. Just then, a buzzing noise sounded and a small trail of smoke rose from his ears.

“Arrggh”

That’s when the image faded and in the place of the muscular man, was a nebbish 6 foot, light skinned male, weighing no more than 140 pounds. Around his head was a silly looking helm similar to the ones used by sports fans who were too lazy to leave their recliner for an extra drink……………

“Uh, hehehehe”

"Hi?”

he looked pale. “The name’s Gossimer, Walter Gossimer."

He placed his “Hot Pocket” in his coat pocket, wiped his hand on his shirt and extended it to the Malvernian for a handshake………….

" Hehehehehehe...you should see what he did with my countermeasure gear once " Said the tall man behind Walter, stepping forward and patting the smaller man on the shoulder.

" Since you've met my wizzo, Goz, I guess I should introduce myself. I'm Kevin McDaniel. Formerly of the 101st Terran. I commanded a Turma until a Centurion decided he needed a ride to a meeting worse than some of my grunts needed to be evaced." Mcdaniel smiled as he continued, " We disagreed ".

He crossed his arms across his broad chest, the leather of his well-worn jacket creaking slightly. Like Ken he wears Terran issue boots and his jacket shows spots of less wear where patches had recently been removed.

Mcdaniel takes the proffered hand and pumps it strongly.

" You too Ken. I heard of you and your boys and how you tore heck out of...well..a lot of stuff on Yed." McDaniel gives him a knowing half-smile, eyes flickering at their surroundings. " Besides, what I did was nothing that any other leader in the same position wouldn't have done."

"Uh, uhm, I guess that makes me next, huh?" The voice comes from a fairly non-descript person sitting off to the side of everyone. " I'm Jake, Jake Mitchell. Everyone just calls me "Gadget". I don't got no medals, they never seem to remember the "wrenches" when they pass those out, but that's ok, I'd rather have a machine to fix than a piece of tin on my shirt"

As you look closer you notice that Gadget kinda blends in with the shadows, it's not because he's trying to, it's due to that fact that his skin is pretty much permenantly disclored from all the metal, and grease that he's had to deal with.

"I owe my life to a few of you," says Ken, with a gracious nod. "Glad you're onboard."

"So," he says, turning back to the Inquisitor. "What is this work for Khardullis that you need us for?"

Smiles and nods to Gadget in a silent "welcome aboard" way.

Stands next to Goz, Awaiting the Inquisitor's answer.

*Looks disdainfully at the extended hand before turning away.

"Gentlemen, As you know, tensions are pretty high between several of the Major UCOR's right now. Corporate espionage is at an all time high, and all signs indicate a soming war - not betwen the planetary powers, but the UCORS, felxing their muscles. They became fat and bloated form the profits of the Galaxy War, and have come to enjoy too much influence."

He pauses, reaches into his Inquisitors robe, and pulls out a datapad. Ont he screen is a small Cube, with patterns etched into the surface. Gadget immediately recognises it as a Breeder, but not one he's ever seen.

"Mark IV industries has recently been the victim of one such raid. A revolutionary new Breeder design was stolen from them by a rival UCOR, and we need to get it back. Luckily, Khardullis was with us, and we know who stole it, and how. We also know where the prototype is. All I need is for you to get it back. This is very urgent - The longer they have it, the more they can learn form it."

Inquisitor Jex looks at McDaniel, his face unreadable, the usual stony look of the Malvernians' seeming even more impenetrable on him.

"Yes, there is a catch. The Breeder was stolen by Mitso-Ta operatives, and they have had sufficent time to install it into a prototype new CAV - They are calling it the 'Oni' - Apparently a Terran name for a demon. you will have to fight the Oni - and retreive the breeder - intact."

He pauses to look out over his city - and hands Loggerhard a dossier.

"This has all the details for the demonstration Mitso-Ta is giving - a test of their new CAV. I have managed to get the contract for the demonstration. Khardullis' information network is vast."

"Oh - one more thing. There is no pilot in the Oni. Apparently the Terrans are quite concerned about secondary losses, and are continutin their preoccupation with AI that led to the Psyros. The ONI is completely unmanned - which should be the key."

Smiles... " Sounds like something right up Goz and Gadget's respective alley's. Maybe fiddle an eccm pod to override their signals to it "? Pausing a beat then continuing. " Pilot it remotely "? Looking over at Ken, " That say anything about how big the Oni is "?

"Is there room for a pilot? Can we CAV-jack the thing?" Derris rubs his hands together gleefully, "this sounds veeeeery interesting."

Derris slips a datapad out of his sleeve. "Transfer what you've got and I can... er, excuse me Inquisitor, may I please have any information you, with Khardullis' infinite wisdom, will release?" Derris tries to keep the grin off his face, but he looks like a kid in a candy store.