Sign in to follow this  
Corsair

Who else is doing Roll20?

Today was my first experience with playing a game on Roll20. None of us had ever used it before, so we took longer to get spooled up. That being said, we were able to finish up an interrupted session and had a lot of fun. I think this can be a way for a lot of us to play games and have some social fun during this place in our cultural history.

Who else has used this, or is planning to?

• Like 3

I ran our game on it on Friday night. Had issues with the visual setup and only saw some players. Used Discord for audio. 

But the game ran so that's good. 

• Like 5

We started using it about a year and a half ago after we moved out of state away from our group but still wanted to keep going. We play every Thursday with it. Usually have very little problem with it, though the past couple weeks have been a little weird with connectivity because I'm sure the bandwidth is being taken up by the increasing number of people being home.

The biggest challenge for us game play wise has been the players themselves who can move their tokens freely on the map. So the GM at times has to constantly tell them to stop because they bump into an encounter when they're just roaming around willy nilly. It's caused some interesting Leroy Jenkins whole dungeon pulls while the party's been split.

And I miss rolling real dice. Ha.

• Like 7

It's totally serviceable once you get the hang, I reckon. As a player I've liked it. Trying to talk myself into running a game here soon. Might go ahead and upgrade so I can really get in and play with it all. One big curiosity is what all kinds of files I can load onto the virtual tabletop for maps (I assume this is a really easy question to answer; that's just how little I've actually investigated so far).

Farm the voice/cam out to Discord or Skype or something if you get lag issues. We were also having weird problems with the voice on it the other day. But then had some issues on Discord for a while too so thought it was somebody's computer. So I'unno.

+1 (billion) on missing real dice (and not just because their roller absolutely hates me). Tempted to go on the honor system and let people roll their dice on the table--though it is super convenient to have everything plugged in and just hit a button and have it pop up right there in the chat log.

• Like 5

I've used Roll20 but I vastly prefer Fantasy Grounds. I just like the interface better and having everything already all coded up is so convenient. But there is no right or wrong answer here, it comes down to what your group likes!

• Like 2

Nope. Never have, never will.

Roll20 doesn't support The Dark Eye, and claimed they would not ever. Problem, as I've been introduced to that system.

My other reason for not wanting to deal with them is that they seem to have a history for banning people from their fora for spurious reasons, and some abuse of power by mods. I've heard no indication that's changed, and I don't have time for that kind of crap. :/

That was back in 2018, or thereabouts. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

4 minutes ago, Sylverthorne said:

doesn't support The Dark Eye

What is the Dark Eye?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TGP said:

What is the Dark Eye?

Back in the Dark Ages of THAC0, gamers in Germany split Das Schwartze Auge (The Dark Eye) off of AD&D. It's very, VERY popular over there. With enough setting material to make my brain explode, trying to build a character. I didn't find out about it until I met Mr. Thorne, who used to play it. A couple years ago, Ulisses-Spiele Kickstarted an English translation of the most recent edition.

... naturally, Mr. Thorne pounced. The next thing I know, I'm being introduced to a system that is just enough like what I'm used to be interesting, and enough /not/ like it to be challenging. 

Anyway, Roll20 has people playing it, but they have refused to properly integrate any of the material, and they're not supporting GMs. 

(.. okay, spellchecker, you can haul off with your English-speaking self, that's (I hope) perfectly good German in that post! Go away).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TGP said:

What is the Dark Eye?

Germany’s very successful answer to Dungeons and Dragons from back in the 1980s. I understand it’s always been considerably more popular than D&D in Europe. There were minis for a while, don’t know who made them, that can still be found for sale on Ral Partha Europe’s site. They’re on the scale of old Parthas or some of the better Grenadiers. 

• Like 3

There are some games on Steam based on The Dark Eye. Played one. It was a decent story based game. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Marvin said:

+1 (billion) on missing real dice (and not just because their roller absolutely hates me). Tempted to go on the honor system and let people roll their dice on the table--though it is super convenient to have everything plugged in and just hit a button and have it pop up right there in the chat log.

Yes, being able to see the other players' rolls at the moment and be able to react to them emotionally is more fun than waiting for them to roll off screen. And I've gotten used to the whims of the RNG. That doesn't change the fact that I miss the sound of dice clacking and the ability to put my dice in "jail" when I don't like their attitude.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

My other reason for not wanting to deal with them is that they seem to have a history for banning people from their fora for spurious reasons, and some abuse of power by mods. I've heard no indication that's changed, and I don't have time for that kind of crap. :/

That was back in 2018, or thereabouts. 

Last I heard on this, they aren't swinging the ban hammer quite as hard as they used to but they never apologized for this....

I never tried Roll20, and my experience with Fantasy Grounds, though positive for what it does, is from 5 years ago.

Not having been part of an active game since 2015 does not help. Unusual work schedules, changing time zones, and occasional very wonky internet, just compounded the issues.

Edited by Cranky Dog