Sign in to follow this  
Corsair

Who else is doing Roll20?

I haven't used Roll20 since my Exalted campaign ended up causing major drama.  It worked well enough.  I wrote a script to support Exalted 3E-style rolling.

It would probably have worked better with a system that was grid-based and fully supported, with additional tricks (like, at the time, PF1 or D&D 5E).

If I were going to start a new game, I'd consider using it again.  However, I'd also take a look at Astral.  If I thought my group wouldn't blow up (again), I might consider Fantasy Grounds.

• Like 2

We do. Husband just started running his ongoing 4e campaign there for reasons and I am using it for my Thursday night game with out of town/state friends. I find it pretty neat but it does have it's quirks.

• Like 2

On 3/23/2020 at 3:03 AM, Pingo said:

Germany’s very successful answer to Dungeons and Dragons from back in the 1980s. I understand it’s always been considerably more popular than D&D in Europe. There were minis for a while, don’t know who made them, that can still be found for sale on Ral Partha Europe’s site. They’re on the scale of old Parthas or some of the better Grenadiers. 

For a while the minis for The Dark eye were sold in the US to use with Cthulhu Dark Age.

They were pretty decent.

The Au;d Grump

• Like 2

Any free stuff available for Roll20? Mainly looking for tokens & such, thou a library of maps would be nice. Learning the ropes of DMing on there as I think I will start to run a weekly game of 5e on there for my local group (or anyone wanting to play really).

EDIT: Paizo in their blog has a link for 2e Pathfinder tokens.

• Like 3

The other DM in our group has started using it. I guess it's ok for what it is, but sitting by myself, staring at a screen while waiting for the DM and others to do things on the program doesn't really feel like either playing an RPG or a video game to me.

• Like 1

We've been pretty happy with Astral Tabletop so far. There is a learning curve, especially for the GM, they are still having some lag during peak times as they grow, and they are still developing new features for it. But overall it is working pretty nicely.

On ‎4‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 5:14 PM, haldir said:

Any free stuff available for Roll20? Mainly looking for tokens & such, thou a library of maps would be nice. Learning the ropes of DMing on there as I think I will start to run a weekly game of 5e on there for my local group (or anyone wanting to play really).

EDIT: Paizo in their blog has a link for 2e Pathfinder tokens.

I have been using it for a couple of sessions now.  Been pretty happy with the results.  I am using the audio portion of the system but not video.  We had a couple of drop out issues but most of those were hardware problems, not Roll 20.  Most of what I am running doesn't require anything fancy (one of my players had to tell me that there was a tab for rules information on the system, I just use it for visuals and positions)

As for maps, I use Faststone capture to grab the map from the module and past it into the group.  then when the session is over and the notes are no longer necessary, I delete the maps.

There are a lot of free tokens and Icons but I have only seen a couple of map packs.

• Like 2

I need to get a webcam for my home computer. Not that anyone wants to see my mug but it would be a nice thing to have.