Newbie trapped inside like everyone else

IMG_20200321_142557.thumb.jpg.8878745c8dd5e2a870298cff01c41fac.jpgIMG_20200321_142607.thumb.jpg.6128cb4c5197d51d39de47aa77ce61d3.jpg

This is more or less what my two areas look like, minus a bunch of mess on the sides of the painting area.  Things will be looking a touch different over the next week or two though, when a box full of goodies arrives from Iron Heart Artisans ^_^

• Like 13
  • Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still unpacking from the move (yes, it has been 5 months. No, I'm not done yet.)

My paint area is a little more messy that usual at the moment as I've been doing a lot of prep over the last two weeks for Star Wars Legion.

20200329_IMG_0253.thumb.jpg.37d15b8fd9767b2c6dea9e595c6f5a44.jpg

My painting desk.  I'm in the middle of building a new paint rack, which should help organize some of the random paint...also some SW Legion stuff drying where I actually paint.

20200329_IMG_0247.jpg.f43ea5bbd2f2389cf49d9e365df80b58.jpg

And the air brush area, which is accumulating more Star Wars figs for priming tonight.

In between the two is this table, which technically isn't a painting area.

20200329_IMG_0249.thumb.jpg.2cb9d4d8a933cdf462f97ffe90070dfb.jpg

Although it does currently hold an AT-ST that will get primed tonight.....

For light, I have an LED light arch I built, and bunch of lamps with magnifiers.  Recently I've started using a magnifier with LED lights as well, like this:

61ReUtTwxuL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Jasper_the_2nd
can't spell
  • Like 12
2 hours ago, Choppertown said:

Nice! I find I’m having trouble with lighting. Also holding the mini and the brush to get in areas I can barely see, much less touch with the brush. 

For lighting, I use lights from Ikea, the Tertial clamp-on ones to be precise.  Two for me, one for hubby, but we'll be changing it up soonish, and I suspect we will be getting at least one more light for him.  I use 2700K bulbs because they don't irritate my eyes.  Goal is to switch to proper daytime spectrum bulbs at some point, but we'll have to see how those go.

• Like 6

2595BB04-F1D8-4363-BA47-BB25BB0263A0.thumb.jpeg.07defa3d44a69df785da9f50628d0475.jpeg

This is my painting desk, although the picture is from last week just after a much-needed cleaning.  Stuff has crept back onto the yellow-bordered mat as I have been working this weekend. 

58 minutes ago, Choppertown said:

OK I thought I had an impressive little stash started and I see I’ve definitely started down the rabbit’s hole. Your kits are incredible!

You’ll probably end up that way if you stick with it.  Buying more is always easier than finishing what you have. ::o:

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
21 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

2595BB04-F1D8-4363-BA47-BB25BB0263A0.thumb.jpeg.07defa3d44a69df785da9f50628d0475.jpeg

This is my painting desk, although the picture is from last week just after a much-needed cleaning.  Stuff has crept back onto the yellow-bordered mat as I have been working this weekend. 

You’ll probably end up that way if you stick with it.  Buying more is always easier than finishing what you have. ::o:

I see you have the brush cleaner, seems ubiquitous for everyone. Any recommended super

glue for reassembling my lead minis from the 80s that I had my dad ship me from the attic back east?  This is seriously taking me on a trip back to my youth.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Choppertown said:

I see you have the brush cleaner, seems ubiquitous for everyone. Any recommended super

glue for reassembling my lead minis from the 80s that I had my dad ship me from the attic back east?  This is seriously taking me on a trip back to my youth.

I use Lepage superglue Gel Control, aka the black bottle with blue push-in sides.  It's labelled as Loctite Gel Control superglue in the US.  Same parent company, same stuff, same labels, just for some reason in Canada it's marketed under the LePage branding.  I prefer gel over traditional "virtually instant set" superglues as it gives you a few more seconds of leeway with things, which is really REALLY handy with some of the intricate Infinity sculpts (especially the old hand-sculpted ones).

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I’ve been using Gorilla Glue gel, but I have to say it’s setting time seems a little long sometimes.  I use to use Zap-aGap, with the accelerant when necessary, but finding hobby shops that carry it is an issue for me these days.

• Like 6
6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

We just moved and this is my set up for now.

I will probably get a new display cabinet and a cupboard for storage, throwing a desk out I guess.

20200330_143717.jpg

20200330_143727.jpg

20200330_143730.jpg

20200330_143738.jpg

20200330_143743.jpg

20200330_143750.jpg

Save the desk! You'll need it for the 3D printers...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
8 hours ago, Corsair said:

Save the desk! You'll need it for the 3D printers...

Right now I have two desks for myself, one for the PC and one for oldest vixen.

I will have to sacrifice one ( a desk, not a vixen!) to make room for the display cabinet and the storage cupboard or I can't put my painted minis anywhere.

As for the 3D printer, I have two cellars, and it depends on how long the vixens are staying with us, if oldest moves out, I have an extra desk.

• Like 7

Sorry.  I know this thread has been dead for a few days but I couldn't resist a request for painting spaces pics :lol:.  My space used to look like this.

20200229_134245.thumb.jpg.5dd5c5034b6b8597a8d7138305cfa848.jpg

But then my partner moved his desk into the room where my desk was and couldn't stand the sight of it because he likes to organize things.  So you can see there are some Transformers creeping into my space here and any time I had to get anything multiple things had to be moved.  So that led to this:

20200302_162742.thumb.jpg.1cdcfa760ac0567e44a01485ceabdba9.jpg

Shelving from Ikea put up on the opposite wall to house the Transformers.  Please note this is nowhere near all of them, the rest are housed on three shelves of a bookcase in the other corner.  No, I do not have a problem :blink:.

And now with that space cleared off and some reorganizing of the shelves that were already on my desk, it looks like this:

20200302_162759.thumb.jpg.6153920d8cb346e17aac11c9a6c2a7c3.jpg

It's beautiful, I can breathe and my partner doesn't hate walking into the space any more!

Welcome to the addiction hoarding hobby.  You're in the right place for supportive folks and have fun falling down the rabbit hole as I clearly have :poke:.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1