Sign in to follow this  
malefactus

YET ANOTHER Year of The Goblin...possibly

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I like the fairies, your World is expanding, Shrooms, Witches, Fairies, Snails, Psychofairies, Goblin, Gnomes  I love it.

There are more different types of Folk that fit within the concept. The Evil Forces of Steam Punk (The Blight) will start showing up as well.

Thanks for the reply, Glitter...Psychofairies has a nice ring to it. I am delighted that you still are enjoying The Stuff!

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I like the fairies, your World is expanding, Shrooms, Witches, Fairies, Snails, Psychofairies, Goblin, Gnomes  I love it.

There are more different types of Folk that fit within the concept. The Evil Forces of Steam Punk (The Blight) will start showing up as well.

Thanks for the reply, Glitter...Psychofairies has a nice ring to it. I am delighted that you still are enjoying The Stuff!

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

The types of Folk that fit in my World is expanding or, at any rate, finally showing up. The Evil Forces of Steam Punk (The Tinkers Guild from the Blight) should start making an appearance sometime soon.

Thanks for the reply, Glitter...Psychofairies has a nice ring to it. I am delighted you still are enjoying The Stuff!

• Like 4

Awesome work on the fairies. They look like straight out of Labyrinth. Kinda whimsical, but still with a nightmarish quality. With a bit of sanding paper you can fairly effectively texture cloth etc.  Would look good on the hats. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peithetairos said:

Awesome work on the fairies. They look like straight out of Labyrinth. Kinda whimsical, but still with a nightmarish quality. With a bit of sanding paper you can fairly effectively texture cloth etc.  Would look good on the hats. 

Thanks for the reply AND the suggestion, Peithetairos. I will give the sandpaper a try. I am happy you like the Faerie Folk thus far.

• Like 2

Over the weekend I added some supporting cast Mushrooms & did a little work on the latest Faerie Fellow:

DSCN0064.thumb.JPG.c3e010383032f629b9942e14f029893c.JPGDSCN0065.thumb.JPG.8d980cec7bb012f697ee9707b0f81eac.JPG

The Faerie Fellow still has some green stuff work to be done AND his wings should arrive sometimes today:

DSCN0067.thumb.JPG.28e40b226304e8d52d20a816f12fc2a2.JPG

Until then...

• Like 9

With the arrival of the Reaper Fairy wings, there will soon be a new Faerie Fellow to infest the Fairy Ring:

DSCN0070.thumb.JPG.d2d535ce27e8f5f0bc24a309dc0e0458.JPGDSCN0071.thumb.JPG.6f125836223da8b9d486d999003cf264.JPGDSCN0072.thumb.JPG.e9ed9ed275dcd048aab585cdfbc22390.JPGDSCN0073.thumb.JPG.105a7d6aa5dc677a5ee8c8c912161ef7.JPG

Sweet dreams!

• Like 8

On 10/24/2020 at 5:02 AM, Peithetairos said:

Interesting idea. Would you say about 120# grit?  300? 80?

You have me designing tools for this in my head. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TGP said:

Interesting idea. Would you say about 120# grit?  300? 80?

You have me designing tools for this in my head. 

Depends a bit what you want to texture. A finer grit would work well for a subtle textile texture. I tried something fairly rough to texture this mushroom cap. Worked well.

Spoiler

IMG_20201025_102837_471.thumb.jpg.369952c0de454fda0ee911a885c31287.jpg

I would just get a circular wooden stick and attach a piece of sanding paper to its bottom. Or you get something curved and achieve a more flexible tool. 

Edited by Peithetairos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I love the mushrooms. Great variety in shapes and the ones with faces are suitably whimsical/creepy.

Looking at your recent pictures on my Desktop some suggestions. I am no master sculptor, so all my preferences and opinions:

I think you could enhance the quality of your sculpts by texturing the various surfaces, especially the organic one. Say the mushroom caps. In nature they seem pretty smooth, but I would add some imperfections, blemishes and irregularities on the surface. You can achieve this quite easily with a stiff brush. Just gently dab the surface. That said, this is my personal preference. They look good as is and you should follow your vision, not mine. 

I also see some finger marks here and there. I would smooth those with a clay shaper. To avoid the entire problem try using some Milliput in your mix. You can smooth it quite well with wet fingers, but it still has a bit of a texture. 

Some of the facial features could be refined with a needle tool. The strands of the hair for instance will benefit from defining them more, so that they look like single strands and not connected. I think it is for me the impression, that some shapes or elements flow into each other. That works well for some details, but here and there some more definition or separation would be beneficial. I know myself that it is quite hard with a pure Greenstuff mix. Here, too, the Milliput with Greenstuff mix might help (30:70). It also helps to work in sections, from the inside out. 

I hope this comes across as constructive criticism. It is a grand project and very inspirational for my own work. I think your character design is excellent and you capture that sense of wonder, whimsy and dread in quite a unique mixture. So mainly I just want to give some ideas how to further improve your art. 

17 hours ago, Corsair said:

They are looking good!

Thanks, Kevin. I am glad you like them!

8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Wonderful creatures!

Thanks Glitter. I am glad you like them as well!

5 hours ago, Peithetairos said:

I love the mushrooms. Great variety in shapes and the ones with faces are suitably whimsical/creepy.

Looking at your recent pictures on my Desktop some suggestions. I am no master sculptor, so all my preferences and opinions:

I think you could enhance the quality of your sculpts by texturing the various surfaces, especially the organic one. Say the mushroom caps. In nature they seem pretty smooth, but I would add some imperfections, blemishes and irregularities on the surface. You can achieve this quite easily with a stiff brush. Just gently dab the surface. That said, this is my personal preference. They look good as is and you should follow your vision, not mine. 

I also see some finger marks here and there. I would smooth those with a clay shaper. To avoid the entire problem try using some Milliput in your mix. You can smooth it quite well with wet fingers, but it still has a bit of a texture. 

Some of the facial features could be refined with a needle tool. The strands of the hair for instance will benefit from defining them more, so that they look like single strands and not connected. I think it is for me the impression, that some shapes or elements flow into each other. That works well for some details, but here and there some more definition or separation would be beneficial. I know myself that it is quite hard with a pure Greenstuff mix. Here, too, the Milliput with Greenstuff mix might help (30:70). It also helps to work in sections, from the inside out. 

I hope this comes across as constructive criticism. It is a grand project and very inspirational for my own work. I think your character design is excellent and you capture that sense of wonder, whimsy and dread in quite a unique mixture. So mainly I just want to give some ideas how to further improve your art. 

Thanks for the reply AND the suggestions, Piethetairos. I am happy you like the Mushrooms.

I haven't experimented with mixing green stuff & Milliput. I had some Milliput kicking around which I have found has ossified on me. I will order some to experiment. I use plumber's epoxy putty quite a lot for basic things &, especially, for things that I want to give texture. Mixing some with green stuff might give an interesting effect. It is quite similar to Milliput, but dries/cures much faster.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Woot, I got caught up!

Amazing work as always @malefactus!

The new Fairie folk are awesome, so unique and creative!

Thanks for the kind reply, Jasper. I am happy you like the stuff, especially the Faerie Fellows.

I usually fall behind on checking out the posts on other Forums, Catching up can be fun.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, Standifer said:

I have a tendency to fall behind on other threads as well. 
Great work on the Shrooms and the fairie!

Thanks, Standifer. I am happy you like the stuff.