Jump to content

Prowling Marthrangul


GodOfCheese
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/26/2020 at 7:05 PM, SirLancelittle said:

I'm very impressed by the base. How did you manage such a thick base with such great texture?

 

Thank you!

The terrain part of the base is 3/4" pink insulation foam leftover from a remodel long ago.  The wooden base is a circle cut from scrap oak, stained and sealed.  I never throw away junk like that. :-)

  1. I scratched it more or less randomly with a box cutter for about twenty minutes at different angles so that it took lots of notches out-- especially from the edges.
  2. Once I was reasonably satisfied with the scratching, I cut out holes for the dragon's feet and test-fit it as tightly as I could.
  3. Coated the upper surface with white glue, then poured sand onto it.  I did this a couple of times to get it to pile a bit.  I also put some glue into the deep spots and pushed sand into those.  When done, I poured the sand off and knocked away anything loose.
  4. Glued aquarium rocks to strategic locations
  5. Glued some sand to the aquarium rocks to serve as lichens
  6. When utterly dry, spray painted it black. Because canned spray paint propellant can melt the foam, I used my HVLP spray gun on lowest pressure to deliver craft acrylic paint.  Even still, the gun tries to blast the foam away, so this little task was more adventurous than strictly required...
  7. Once dry, sprayed with polyurethane sealant.  The foam is easily dented, which ruins the paint even if it deforms back into shape... it's not as resilient as bones. :-)

The foam terrain base, the wood base, and the sculpt are mated with white glue.
I love making terrain.  I just wish I had reasons to do so more often :-)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

    • By Auberon
      Drogoroth, the Winged Death
       
      It's a dragon! No, wait, wrong wings.
       

       
       
    • By Chaoswolf
      This is s figure that I painted during a speed painting class at Reapercon a couple years ago. I decided to go  back and clean up a couple things that I think could have been a little better. I know that's not quite the idea of speed painting, but I brought him to my tabletop standard, so I'm happy with him now.
       

       

       

    • By Darcstaar
      I already finished terrain for Q2.  I had started the Strumpet.  Categories I’m working on:
      Large Group: Townsfolk Strumpet
      Large Figure: Cave Spider
      Theme April Showers: Deep Dweller with an acrylic resin on part of the base to look wet.
      Pop Up: 3 townsfolk
      Pop Up: Gothic Ritual: Torture equipment with blood spatter.
      Seasonal: Petey for Deep Dish Pizza Day
      Heavy Mod: Tree of Despair victim: want to reposition head, ropes, spread legs, gouge out middle and sculpt intestines to look like his torturers eviscerated him.
    • By kazmania7
      Havn't done much painting this past month, mainly been doing spring cleaning which wore me out. but did manage to get this done in between naps, lol. Love and watched the way Anne Forster did hers on reaper pro tips (twitch) and had to paint it, of course even thou wish I could of copy her skin tone that just wouldn't be fair, so I did my own spin on it.





    • By Grumpy Cave Bear
      More minis from my Shelf of Shame Long-Term, Partially-Completed Backlog:  A trio of kobolds from one of the Reaper Bones kickstarters! 
       

       
      These are some of the tiniest minis I've painted.  Even so, it took about 2 long evenings to complete them.
       
      I did lots of practice of NMM steel and gold.  I'm now of the opinion that NMM works better than metallics for small minis.
       
      The clothing was originally red, but I found it was too close to the orange of the skin color and just blended together from about 2 feet away, so they got repainted to a color/tone that was more distinct.
       
      I prefer that my kobolds be weird dog/lizard hybrid creatures, so they all got black noses.  It looks good on these!
       
      That brings the total minis I've painted this year to 19! (With another one in the wings.) 
  • Who's Online   4 Members, 2 Anonymous, 21 Guests (See full list)

×
×
  • Create New...