• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/26/2020 at 7:05 PM, SirLancelittle said:

I'm very impressed by the base. How did you manage such a thick base with such great texture?

Thank you!

The terrain part of the base is 3/4" pink insulation foam leftover from a remodel long ago.  The wooden base is a circle cut from scrap oak, stained and sealed.  I never throw away junk like that. :-)

1. I scratched it more or less randomly with a box cutter for about twenty minutes at different angles so that it took lots of notches out-- especially from the edges.
  2. Once I was reasonably satisfied with the scratching, I cut out holes for the dragon's feet and test-fit it as tightly as I could.
  3. Coated the upper surface with white glue, then poured sand onto it.  I did this a couple of times to get it to pile a bit.  I also put some glue into the deep spots and pushed sand into those.  When done, I poured the sand off and knocked away anything loose.
  4. Glued aquarium rocks to strategic locations
  5. Glued some sand to the aquarium rocks to serve as lichens
  6. When utterly dry, spray painted it black. Because canned spray paint propellant can melt the foam, I used my HVLP spray gun on lowest pressure to deliver craft acrylic paint.  Even still, the gun tries to blast the foam away, so this little task was more adventurous than strictly required...
  7. Once dry, sprayed with polyurethane sealant.  The foam is easily dented, which ruins the paint even if it deforms back into shape... it's not as resilient as bones. :-)

The foam terrain base, the wood base, and the sculpt are mated with white glue.
I love making terrain.  I just wish I had reasons to do so more often :-)

• Like 3

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Metalchaos
      Hello everyone, here are more pictures of my entry in the 18th Quarterly Contest. This is 77704, Cave Troll sculpted by Bobby Jackson. Congrats to the winners and everyone who participated. A big thank you to Reaper for organizing this colorful contest and 54 times thank you to those who voted for my creature.

• By monoRAIL
      Painted with acrylics and oil paints.
      Work-in-progress photos and videos on my instagram: https://www.instagram.com/cokane/

• By Samedi
      I love doing WIPs. And I've got a lot projects I should finish 😊. And since there is still no progress with Barros and Tempest (this time because I'm still waiting for a new base to be shipped), why not start something new?

I've yet to paint my first dragon, so I'll use this opportunity to do it. I confess, I'm cheating a bit here, since I'm going to paint the white dragon by Dark Sword Minis - that's a very small dragon. But still, he's got wings and teeth and claws and scales, so definitely a dragon, yessir!

I absolutely love this mini. I bought it many years ago, but the horns went missing. Fortunately, when I ordered some more minis from Dark Sword a while ago, I was able to order some spare horns, so now I'm good to go.

Here he is, assembled and prepped:

Now I have to decide on a paint scheme, which I can't bring myself to do. There are three ideas I have at the moment:

paint him up as an ice dragon. I'm thinking white with pinkish/greenish undertones and a base made with transparent crackle paint. There was a very cool version of an Ice Dragon a while ago on this forum, but I can't seem to find it any more.  paint him up as a star dragon using the technique I learned at RVE in Kevin Holderny's class. I used it on a coat so far, maybe it looks very cool on the dragon's wings. paint him up as a real world snake. Now there are so many possibilities...  
      Decisions, decisions...

Some more work on the base.
    • By Citrine
      I finished some townsfolk recently, they snuck into the queue ahead of my halfpainted drow squad. 😮

Fruit seller in metal (SKU 4023):

Farmer and beggar in Bones (SKU 77665):

• By Citrine
      Here are 2 Bones 3 ogres I finished in the last few months, Reaper Ogre Matriarch (SKU 77568) and Ogre Chieftain (SKU 77566) . The detail on the goblin was very soft, and my painting progress stopped for a couple of months.  But now they are finally ready for some tabletop fun.

• Who's Online   11 Members, 0 Anonymous, 34 Guests (See full list)