Sign in to follow this  
Iridil

Southeast Asian skin tones (Indian etc) help

Hi all,

I am wanting to paint some figures with darker southeast asian skin tones -  (like the pic below). Any tips/recipes would be great - I have mostly reaper paints.

Thanks!

image.png.3d2cbe74e86e16521a4e3f6a5faa7653.png

A friend of mine works for a cosmetics company that makes a specialty line of makeup for burn victims or people with heavy skin blemishes. She said that when they custom make a matching makeup, they start with everyone's as a very dark brown and add white to it until they get the tone exact, no matter what nationality. That surprised me greatly, but that is how they do it.

• Like 1

Did you catch Anne Forester's episode of ReaperLive when she covered working with skin tones? She covers several skin tones, though the sample she paints is intended to be more African-American skin tone than South Asian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTW7_DSgFRo

There might be a little experimentation to find the right shades of brown you want, but I'd start by using the lighter shades of the dark-skin triad (9040 Dark Shadow/9041 Dark Skin/9042 Dark Highlight) as a base and the darker shades of the tan-skin triad (9043 Tanned Shadow, 9044 Tanned Skin, 9045 Tanned Highlight) as highlights. There's also an Olive skin triad (9220 Olive Shadow, 9221 Olive Skin, 9222 Olive Highlight) that might work as an alternative to the tan-skin triad -- it's intended for darker Mediterranean skin tones, but it might look better. I believe Anne shows that specific triad (or at least mentions it) in the video above. I'm also purely guessing -- I get these concepts in principle, but getting them on a mini is another story.

Also, minor semantic point: I think you mean "South Asian" skin tones to cover people from the Indian sub-continent. "Southeast Asian" usually describes Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, and Laos. There's some crossover and all of this is completely arbitrary (as country borders usually are), but since you're seeking something specific I figure it's worth pointing out the specifics. And though you didn't ask, "Southwest Asian" usually describes Afghanistan along with the other "-stans" and most of what's usually described as the "Middle East" (but oddly enough excludes Pakistan, probably because of its historical connections to India).

It's all rather confusing, really.

• Like 2

don't know if this is close enough, but I vaguely followed a Bangladeshi model's skin. There's a link in the show off to the WIP, where I listed all the colors and did the step by step.

• Like 2

Thanks all -

I am looking for paint suggestions - I am familiar with and have some of the triads, but my attempts at this skin tone so far don't quite get the right warm undertones 

Corporea - the WIP is wonderful - although I don;t expect the gorgeous outcome with my skill level, there is great information and colors and will help me improve

I like this triad for middle eastern and south asian skin tones.  I use 9042 Dark Highlight to go darker, and 9043 Tanned Shadow to go higher. 

• Warm Deep Browns
    Warm Deep Browns
    $10.99 sku: 09710

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1