Sign in to follow this  
AuralEntropy

Paint bottles overflow when opening

Howdy folks,

I have a question I hope you can answer. Often when I open my paint bottles they overflow, like a big bubble of air is pushing the paint out the top. This is causing me to waste a lot of paint. 

it happens with all my bottles, reaper, army painter and Vallejo. I have mixing beads in them and store them upright. It happens when I shake them and open them right away or even if I let them sit. It seems certain paint ado it more, Metallica are a particularly bad for it. 

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. 

First time opening them, or every time? I only find that a problem on first openings, when there may be a pressure discrepancy between inside and outside the bottle after transportation. Also get minor leaking from the lids on my Vallejo mediums that goops up the cap.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Try opening them for a moment (then closing them again) before you shake them. That might release any pressure that's built up before the paint fills the nozzle.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

On 3/30/2020 at 5:04 PM, cmorse said:

Try opening them for a moment (then closing them again) before you shake them. That might release any pressure that's built up before the paint fills the nozzle.

This. Also, I give them a sharp tap in my palm to force any paint in the tip back into the bottle.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I've often thought of asking about this. Seems to happen to me most often when all I want is a tiny little drop.

• Like 2

I usually hit/rap/knock the bottle (bottom first) a couple of times into the table both before and after shaking, and before opening. This usually makes the paint that is up the spout fall down into the main bottle. Sometimes there will be some paint that has seperated and the spout might contain thin clearish paint even after shaking if not knocked down before shaking. slamming them sharply onto the tabletop gets that back into the main body of paint.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Strange.  I opened some Scale 75 paints last night.  I removed the spout/tip thingy off the bottle to drop a ball bearing in for shaking purposes.  No problem.  I did note some paint in the tip.  I replaced the tip and top and shook the bottle to mix things up.  I then removed the top  and had to use a pokey needle thing to open the tip.  As soon as I did that a significant flow of paint came out ... erupted in one case.

I'll try the suggestions above.

On 3/30/2020 at 12:05 PM, Cyradis said:

First time opening them, or every time? I only find that a problem on first openings, when there may be a pressure discrepancy between inside and outside the bottle after transportation. Also get minor leaking from the lids on my Vallejo mediums that goops up the cap.

I actually head a faint escape of air when I took one tip off a new bottle of Scale 75 paint.

Edited by Highlander

I consider this an experiment that is still underway, but I'm trying something to reduce this. Well, my main concern is actually slightly different than yours, but I think it's related. I have noticed it's pretty common to get a glob of paint that sits trapped in the neck of the bottle. If that happens with a bottle that sits unused for a while the isolated glob starts to dry out quicker or have other issues.

My theory is that the bottles that ooze are ones that have globs of paint stuck in the dropper cap and/or neck of the bottle. It may be that changes in climate conditions cause the air pocket sandwiched in between the isolated glob and the main body of paint to expand and that's why you get the oozing. I'm no physicist, so I don't really know causes. I'm not too stressed about the oozing itself, other than it's messy and a bit of a pain, but I want to keep the paint that stays in the bottle at top quality.

What I have been doing is making sure that the hole in the dropper is clear AFTER I dispense paint. So before I cap it back up again I check if the hole is clear, and use my pokey tool on it if not. Hopefully this allows/causes any paint up in the dropper to fall back down into the main body of the bottle. Tapping the bottom of the bottle or rapping it on the table after closing might help with this too.

You can also pull the dropper nipple out and check for paint stuck up in there. If you've had your paints a while you might have some where the paint has thickened up enough that you'll need to pull it out with an old brush or a cocktail stirrer or something and poke it back down into the main bottle area. If it seems kind of thick, add water and shake the bottle well. 

But on a side note, I recommend not getting too freaked out about 'wasting' paint. I forget the exact count, Anne has said it a few times and I'll see if I can rediscover, but there are hundreds of drops of paint in each bottle. Even if the glob of paint that comes out when this happens is equivalent to 5 or even 10 drops of paint, that's still less than 1% of the contents of the bottle. With liquids it will seem like a lot, but it's not really. I especially encourage people not to be too stressed out about wasting paint in use. If you use a little extra to learn how to mix colours you like, or practice techniques that will ultimately serve you better, that's not 'waste'. Being super careful with your paint use can require a lot of extra time or mental worry. I think my time and peace of mind is worth more than a few cents worth of paint, and I think yours is, too.

• Like 4