Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Al Capwn

Zombicide: Invader - Eightball (Acrylic Inks)

Recommended Posts

While I am working on some of the other survivors, I queued up Eightball as a fairly easy and quick miniature to paint. He is mostly storm-trooper-ish.

 

Eightball.thumb.png.b6e423da51b14598e7650e9493066dc9.png

 

His picture gives some Tony Stark-ish vibes, but the actual sculpt looks a bit different - with no facial hair details actually molded at all. The eyes are also almost non-existant. I wish I took a picture before painting up the face, but oh well, here is a picture of the master from the kickstarter.

 

eightball2.jpg.7095cfabdbff09b14c9a0b4b76068f2c.jpg

 

Hmm...actually...where have I seen that face before...

madm.jpg.595323a0699aced6e97684c697b39116.jpg20200330_021209.jpg.45c44144c9614ae55c6f0bb82f616ae6.jpg

 

Skin was painted with inks, and here is where things turned out - 1, really well IMHO, and 2 - really interesting...

 

download.thumb.png.c8c02fcdd55449965cdaa69f9a7268f8.png

 

One of the techniques I have explored is called verdaccio, or using a green-tone underpainting and then glazing flesh tones over top. What if...just what if...we took the same idea, and applied it to the zones of the face map? Hmmm...

 

So, I took Yellow/Red/Blue ink and essentially painted a flag to mirror the topmost reference picture. I used Purple lake at the furthest borders of the face, mostly to act as a frame. This will be the "darkline" color that remains. It looked comically hideous, but so was the first step in Corporea's flesh class, so I wasn't freaking out just yet.

 

I took Citadel Kislev Flesh and put it on my palette. After a few minutes of using Magenta, Cyan, Yellow and White, I mixed up a matching color in ink and put it in a dropper bottle. I then proceeded to glaze over the underpainting. Because the Yellow and Magenta are very transparent, and the Cyan/White are opaque, I actually had a semi-opaque ink. I simply glazed successive layers over top until I reached the above result; adding a bit of white to the original tone to push for brighter highlights. I also did take some Dark Green, very thinly, and glazed back over the 5 o'clock shadow region, and then added a touch of the original "Kislev Ink" on the chin for the highlight.

 

...and no chalking. No texture. No ripping up previous layers, and pretty smooth transitions of color. Time will tell of this process was a fluke - or if this process will become a staple go-to, but I am pretty pleased as punch with the results.

Edited by Al Capwn
  • Like 14

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great result!  Thanks for writing this explanation up.

 

Too bad your primer layer is so rough :(

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Darcstaar said:

Great result!  Thanks for writing this explanation up.

 

Too bad your primer layer is so rough :(

 

Thanks!

 

Actually surprisingly the primer is fine, just a bit more speckling of the white ink from the airbrush since I used the dirty 105 as opposed to the SOTAR for the application of the ink.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...