Sign in to follow this  
Werkrobotwerk

Getting to know APRIL 2020ish

3 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 10.

What's the most unusual thing you've built terrain out of?

Haven't done it yet because I haven't played 40k or any other scifi/future for ages but I have an old toilet float saved. The type without the ball and arm. Figured it'd make some sort of interesting industrial tower.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Zink said:

Haven't done it yet because I haven't played 40k or any other scifi/future for ages but I have an old toilet float saved. The type without the ball and arm. Figured it'd make some sort of interesting industrial tower.

Also makes for a good top of a water tower.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 10.

I have a bunch of plastic cookie trays that I intend flip over and paint grey for sci-fi barricades or power conduits. I have used rocks, pieces of glass, watch parts, sea shells. Not really anything that unusual. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 10.

I don't think I used anything unusual so far.

Wood, stone, clay, metal, foam, plastic..

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 10.

Probably dismembered bones miniatures embedded in scenery to look like dead bodies. 

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Painted texture on it.  The main virtue was that trees with big flat washers incorporated into their bases, would stick anywhere, ...in a sturdy way, but could be easily moved aside for any passing Land Raiders. Also the stuff is thin so it avoids a curb-at-the-edge-of-the-wood effect.

I really like this idea and may have to borrow it. Thanks.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I have a couple of towers built out of oatmeal containers and wine boxes (both round and square).  Well maybe not built but "mocked up awaiting details and paint".

I have bought some of the sand castle molds and painted them up for some quick terrain.

I found some stuff at the Goodwill that I have re-purposed/modified for terrain.  The Skylanders (I think) base stations that you put those figures on?  cut off the cord and now I have a pedestal.  I've found some candle sticks that make good pillars (as well as a bag of assorted cake pillars).  Fish and reptile tank ornaments of temples and rocks.  A Buddha water fountain that I have turned into a stature.  A souvenir picture frame with Aztec symbols that I will use to make molds for walls.   

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 10.

The foam pieces plucked out of a Chessex minis box.  You know, the little portions you throw away after pulling them out to make the little sections your minis go in. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 10.

Probably spark plugs, the circuit board out of a broken remote. and a headlight bulb.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 10.

One of those off-brand Tonka trucks, the kind that make vaguely engine-like noises when you press on it and roll it forward.

It straddled the line between mini and terrain. It was Shadowrun, I was the rigger, and I drove a comically large ice cream van.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 10.

I haven't built mini terrain yet.  I used Legos for a diorama mockup but that's about it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

April 10.

I don't build a lot of terrain.  Last winter I tried some pink insulation foam for walls, but then didn't use them on the mini. 

I used paper flowers on some kingdom death plants that you harvest all the time.  When I ran out of paper flowers, I painted them on instead. 

Also I went up to the mountains for rocks, and found a pile with a lot of MIca flakes in it, so they have kind of a distracting shine. 

April 11

What is something you want a mini of that you can't currently find?

Darksun Giants - kinda Hill Giant-like but with cornrows.  Or animal heads. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 4/9/2020 at 6:45 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

APRIL 9

With the monster cat defeated or distracted and the curse removed there's time to stop for a snack, what are you having?

and how much will the cat steal?

Nothing... I’m on a diet.  And I guess the cat will be on a diet too, then.

On 4/10/2020 at 6:32 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 10.

I’ve torn apart pot toppers with fake moss flocking on top, to make a cheap and grass tufts.  And I’ve cleaned the roofing grit out of my house’s gutters, then rinsed, bleached and sifted it to make a lifetime’s supply of small rough stones.  And I have a fair amount of ground foam made from cutting an old foam mattress into strips, then running the strips through a motorized meat grinder and dying the resulting fluff various shades of green and brown in 5-gallon paint buckets.

22 hours ago, TGP said:

Magnetic Vehicle Signs

[..]

I have made forest floors out of signs and scrap cutoffs from signs like this. I have not heard of many others using it.

That is genius!  I found a magnetic sign cast off on the side of the road, and have been trying to come up with a use for it.  I bet the same would work for ruins.  I could make free-standing walls and columns by putting washers on the bottom.

38 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 11

What is something you want a mini of that you can't currently find?

I was a fan of the arcade game Joust, and would like a mini of a knight mounted on an ostrich.  Maybe that one is just a little too specific.  It might be a good candidate for a kit bash, provided I can find an ostrich mini of the right size...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1