April 13

what is the silliest piece of improvised equipment you've seen or used

EMT shears for cutting co-ax cable.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 13

As a lifelong submariner, I subscribe to the theory that if it works it ain't silly.

That said, I have seen an evaporator that supplies both potable water and is used to top off reactor cooling repaired using Red Bull cans.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 13

First time I moved into an apartment, I made myself a DIY television antenna made out of a coat hanger to go with my PC TV decoder (no room for a TV back then).

The plans existed online, I found the right adapters in electronic shops and built it. And boom! I got a functional, decently working HDTV antenna that could pick up all local over the air digital channels and even one from the US border.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 13

I saw my sister use her high-heels as a hammer to mount her law degree in her office at her first job post-graduation. She also either forgot or didn't know how to avoid driving into a wall-stud... which I could have pointed out to her when she began, but instead thought "why ruin this moment?". :devil:

• Like 2
  • Haha 9

3 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 13

An old friend recalled the time he plugged a bullet wound with a tampon. You use what you have on hand at the time, and it's both sterile and effective.

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

An old friend recalled the time he plugged a bullet wound with a tampon. You use what you have on hand at the time, and it's both sterile and effective.

That’s not silly, given that that’s what tampons were made for. Their other use came about because women saw them and realized how useful they’d be.

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

That’s not silly, given that that’s what tampons were made for. Their other use came about because women saw them and realized how useful they’d be.

yeah that was even part of the emergency training at work

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

First time I moved into an apartment, I made myself a DIY television antenna made out of a coat hanger to go with my PC TV decoder (no room for a TV back then).

The plans existed online, I found the right adapters in electronic shops and built it. And boom! I got a functional, decently working HDTV antenna that could pick up all local over the air digital channels and even one from the US border.

I thought this was common knowledge for anyone over the age of 40 :D I used to be a ninja with a coat hanger and some tin foil.

Having a hard time of thinking of one, because of what Dilvish said, if it worked, it wasn't silly.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

That is what wire coat hangers are made for.  They are not good as coat hangers.  And Special Forces carry Tampons for bullet wounds as standard equipment.

Dimes for slotted screwdrivers also fall into the standard improvised equipment fold.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 13

As a lifelong tech, I've seen (and done) a lot of improvising. Most of it's not silly. If it fixes the problem either permanently or at least long enough to do it right, then it's genius.  If it doesn't work, or makes the problem worse, then it's stupid (or even dangerous). 

But here's the one that always gets me strange looks. 

I carry nail polish in my tool bag. 

Why? Because nail polish dries quick, is safe for most surfaces and is tough, but not so tough that it can't be removed if needed.   I use it mostly to keep adjustment screws and potentiometers on circuit boards from turning on their own while marking what position the screw should be in. And sometimes as a thread lock on nuts. 

Apparently there is something silly about a guy with a mustache and goatee in jeans & a t-shirt having a bottle of bright pink nail polish in his tool bag. 

Edited by kristof65
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 13

I've found that goblins make somewhat unwieldy weapons,  unwilling doorstops, and untrustworthy guards. So using them is silly. Doesn't stop my players from trying...

In real life, I've used a dog leash as an exercise strap. A fieldwork mask as an anti-garbage eating device for my Alice. I used a star trek rank pip as a tie tack. I used Kaladrax as a ring holder while I waited to propose to Mrs. Hamster. The number if times she sat next to the display case with Kaladrax holding the ring in his mouth... :lol:

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 13

what is the silliest piece of improvised equipment you've seen or used?

A shifter cable in one of my old cars was held together with a paperclip and electrical tape. Just the clip on the end broke and my friend's dad couldn't buy just the clip, only the whole cable, which was approaching the value of the car. Worked until I sold the car for parts. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 13

I'm not sure about the silliest, but it's certainly the ugliest. I had a setup very similar to this back when I was breeding killifish. It's for hatching brine shrimp and all it took was a lamp, an air pump with a divided line and a couple of soda bottles.

1391133491_th(36).jpeg.7fe60f23678cdbb4ba53cae24ffcdc93.jpeg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3