Sign in to follow this  
Werkrobotwerk

Getting to know APRIL 2020ish

3 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 14.

What is the largest non-human animal you've ever found in your house?

A horse. I had to go to the bathroom bad and made it back to the house. Ran for the toilet leaving the horse on on the doorstep but not shutting the door because I was rushing. When I finished my business my horse was standing with his front half in the living room checking things out.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

Cows, plural.

Our summer cabin outside Lake Tahoe was in the middle of the family grazing property. It was quite common to open the door and find it blocked off by cattle.

One year, while making multiple trips in and out, not shutting the door behind us, we completed the task and sat down to realize we had a pair of cows staring at us from the bedroom down the hallway.  It became an interesting discussion to plan how to get behind them and herd them back outside.

By the time we formed a plan, they had left on their own, because someone forgot to close the door again.

• Like 6
  • Haha 9

April 14.

A 37 kg Boxer!

Ommehof Ophalen 30-3-2020 (9).jpg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 3

April 14.

I can't recall any big critters ever trespassing. Kind of surprising given that I lived in the woods growing up and we had a camp in the Adirondacks. The closest something got to getting into the cabin was a black bear. My grandma (a tough Mississippi lass) stood her ground BEHIND A SCREEN DOOR and shooed it off.

1 hour ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Tommy the cat.  He's up to 15.5 lbs.

Many a fat alley rat had met its demise while staring point blank down the cavernous barrel of this awesome prowling machine, truly a wonder of nature this urban predator.

For inspiration: Bart was 25 lbs for most of his life, and not very fat until the last couple years. I took in a rescue cat from friends a month ago and they boggled when I said I was used to big cat challenges so a smaller cat like theirs (he's around 18lbs!) would be easy to deal with.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

April 14.

a small bird, killed by our cat, and left on the bed. 

Our cat was an inside-only cat. 

she was quite proud. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Zink said:

A horse. I had to go to the bathroom bad and made it back to the house. Ran for the toilet leaving the horse on on the doorstep but not shutting the door because I was rushing. When I finished my business my horse was standing with his front half in the living room checking things out.

So that's where Arnie got the idea from....

arnold-schwarzzenegger-pet-donkey-lulu-coronavirus.thumb.jpg.0923d06c3923d65f549db4655df7b7d7.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 7

4 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 14.

Current house: Iko, the Norwegian Forest Cat; that wasn't invited, a large woolley caterpillar that was about 3 inches long

House before that had nothing interesting, the one before that had a little garter snake

The one before that had all sorts of interesting visitors such as mice, a baby bunny, a kitten (not mine), and baby black snakes, but the largest was a preying mantis on the front door that was about 8 inches long. The kitten had it beat in bulk but smart money is on the mantis in a fight. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Kuroneko said:

So that's where Arnie got the idea from....

arnold-schwarzzenegger-pet-donkey-lulu-coronavirus.thumb.jpg.0923d06c3923d65f549db4655df7b7d7.jpg

that one horse seems a bit confused by things

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 14.

By “found” I’m going to assume you mean “uninvited”, which rules out the 25lb cat that used to call us his humans. 

That would still make the biggest animal a cat though. In the first place I lived with my Hubby a cat wandered in from the balcony, it having been left open for Falazure to wander out and pretend to be a fierce outdoor kitteh. Falazure was shocked to see this ginger kitty, who was almost as big as he was. Uninvited cat took a drink from the water bowl, sampled the kibble, then left. 

In the last place we lived before moving to Wyoming, a different fat ginger cat wandered in while I was transporting groceries in. This one didn’t stay as long, just took a glimpse around then left. 

Other than the cats, I’ve had mice, rats, spiders as big as mice, and (at work) a bat and a bird invite themselves in.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

We haven't had many animals in my house, but probably Thumper, the neighborhood bunny. Over the winter, we'd open the backdoor, so she can come in for a bit, grab a bite to eat & just get out of the cold for a bit. There were times, she'd be waiting by the door, propped up on her hind legs, looking into the glass door.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 14.

Couch panther @ 20lbs, 42" long.  Second place would be the baby possum, but I doubt it was more than a pound. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 14.

In my current apartment?

A house centipede the size and shape of a nerf football. It had a legspan that put most tarantulas I've seen to shame. I had to chase it out of the shower with an umbrella. I believe it lives in our wall and I'm 100% okay with it eating all the other bugs and/or small mice.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

2 hours ago, NebulousMissy said:

In my current apartment?

A house centipede the size and shape of a nerf football. It had a legspan that put most tarantulas I've seen to shame. I had to chase it out of the shower with an umbrella. I believe it lives in our wall and I'm 100% okay with it eating all the other bugs and/or small mice.

Okay, so I used to work in conservation. I've happily handled snakes, spiders, stag beetles, bats, swans, stricken birds of prey, foxes and on one occasion a terrified deer with its antlers caught in a fence.

You could not pay me enough money to go anywhere a centipede of that size. I understand on an intellectual level that they are a perfectly valid component of whatever nightmare ecosystem that they belong to, but at the end of the day it's a writhing snake shaped thing THAT HAS LEGS!!!

Nope, nope, nopitty nope. Having an ocean between them and myself isn't enough distance to be honest. 

5 hours ago, redambrosia said:

Other than the cats, I’ve had mice, rats, spiders as big as mice, and (at work) a bat and a bird invite themselves in.

The mention of bats reminds me of the struggles of an Irish family trying to get a bat out of their kitchen from a couple of years ago. Nsfw  due to a wee bit of language.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gN3Msg5DpEQ

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

On 4/11/2020 at 9:19 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 11

What is something you want a mini of that you can't currently find?

Jubjub Birds and Bandersnatch. Also, I'd love it if there were a decent range of 28mm Shadowrun specific drones.

On 4/12/2020 at 8:15 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 12

what is the best bad kungfu movie?

Bloodsport, for a given value of "kung fu."

On 4/13/2020 at 9:43 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 13

what is the silliest piece of improvised equipment you've seen or used

My mechanical abilities are such that if you showed me a complete bodge job versus an actual manufactured part I likely wouldn't know the difference. 

9 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 14.

On purpose? Our current senior dog Jane. When we got her she was just 45 pounds and we were told by both the shelter and our vet they didn't expect her to exceed 65. She was 107 pounds of muscle at her heftiest. She's shrunk a little as she's aged, but she's still a good 100 pounds. Uninvited? That was probably a sheep that somehow escaped my neighbors barn during a blizzard one year when I was a kid. It found its way to our back porch where it alerted us to its presence bleating like mad. Dad put it in the kitchen and got it warmed up while I put some straw down for it in the garage and we left it in there for the night and walked it back in the morning.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1