Werkrobotwerk

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

APRIL 2.

Audio content! Are there any new podcasts or radio shows you've been listening to that you'd like to recommend to people? 

If not, what's the strangest thing you heard on the radio while traveling?

Used to listen to trivia podcasts. Haven't listened to the radio in years. Not a fan of the direction of pop music or rap. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TGP said:

I just remembered: Art Bell!

In second place was: Dr. Gene Scott ...but Bell was much further out there.

When Dr. Scott was actually calm and in teaching mode he was great.

Unfortunately, too many times he would go bughouse nuts on the air and just turn into "that crazy man on the TV".

Used to listen to Art Bell when on overnight drive between SoCal and East Bay Area.

Currently, at home have a couple of talk radio stations I listen to via IHeart Radio and a couple of podcasts, plus YouTube History programs, currently mostly BBC produced.

On the road, we have a box full of CDs with our favorite music.

GEM

Edited by Green Eyed Monster
Tentacles, so many Tentacles
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, TGP said:
11 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

APRIL 2.

Audio content! If not, what's the strangest thing you heard on the radio while traveling?

Silence. There was an area of Northern Iowa along I-35 where we could not pickup anything at all.

The part of southeast CT I live in is full of sudden tall hills and narrow hollows...  There are several places around here where your radio will cut out for a few seconds or a minute as you drive through, and even satellite radio and cell phone coverage can get spotty.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 4/1/2020 at 3:33 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

APRIL 1!

It's April fool's day, so tell us all about your favorite fool, clown, stooge, or jester!

Buster Keaton.  The actors in silent comedies were masters of physical humor, and Buster was the king of them all.  Thank goodness for resources like YouTube to allow us to see these old silent films.

...unless you meant pranks!  In that case, my favorite prank was noticing the red sand and rocks in my manager’s miniature Zen garden on his desk, then spicing it up with a model of the Curiosity Mars rover in the middle of taking a soil sample.  It took about an hour for him to notice it, but the whole floor heard his laugh when he finally did.

Second favorite was filling another manager’s locking bookshelf with 300+ golf balls while he was on vacation.  Said bookshelf had a solid front lid that you had to lift up and slide back to open.  We rigged the shelf with a slope inside so that when opened, the golf balls would roll out and make an ungodly clatter on the desktop below.  We added in a couple of dowels that would drop down and prop the lid open so it couldn’t be shut again partway through.  I was in the restroom when the trap was sprung; I still heard it clearly, as did the people on the floors above and below.

Or that time I built and programmed a LEGO robotics kit to become “Knock-Bot”.  If it was in totally darkness, it would randomly bang a small hammer made of LEGOs once or twice every few minutes; once exposed to light, it would shriek with laughter and go ham with the hammer.  One April Fool’s day, I left it in several coworker’s desks.  It grew more fun as more and more coworkers were let in on the prank...

Or that one April Fool’s that fell on a Friday.  A lot of people were in the habit of pulling the Fry’s Electronics 4-page Friday ad from the company-provided newspaper in the lunch room, to look over the weekend sales.  There was often a bit of competition to get to the ad to read it first. That day, I snuck in early and replaced the ad with another one that was MORE THAN SEVEN YEARS OLD.  Then I just sat back and watched as coworkers would come to lunch one-by-one, grab the ad and start reading, then get more and more confused at the terribly high prices for underpowered laptop and desktop computers... until they saw the ad’s date.

Right now, with the CV stay-at-home orders, I’m reduced to raiding the Halloween costume box for our daily video conference meetings.

14 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

APRIL 2.

Audio content! Are there any new podcasts or radio shows you've been listening to that you'd like to recommend to people? 

Ahh...  Many podcasts, but no new discoveries... except for Paint Bravely The Podcast, with Brent from Goobertown Hobbies, and Casey from eBay Miniature Rescues.  Two episodes are out, so far.  Highly recommended.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

APRIL 3!

Have you painted any of the transparent/translucent bones minis? 

Yes!!! :bday:

33 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

APRIL 3!

What worked well?

Priming it and painting it opaque <_<

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

APRIL 3!

Have you painted any of the transparent/translucent bones minis? What worked well?

Yes, I did the Wraiths by doing the outside of the cloak black but not painting the weapon or inside of the hood or hands.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

APRIL 3!

Have you painted any of the transparent/translucent bones minis? What worked well?

I haven't really, other than primigg one.  One of these days I might give the whole translucent thing a shot, but for the time being I tend to prefer my minis opaque. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 4/2/2020 at 7:25 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

APRIL 2.

Music: Delta Rae: The Light

Podcasts:

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History

Welcome to Nightvale

Hidden Brain

Radio:

WBJC, Baltimore's classical radio station, which I now stream. 

APRIL 3!

Yes. Took a class on it at ReaperCon. Tried a bunch of different techniques. The Tamaya (? Glazes? Clears??) paints I think worked best. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 4/2/2020 at 8:25 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

APRIL 2.

Only podcasts I've stuck with are:

Big Stompy Podcast (monthly: CAV related primarily...hasn't updated since December)

Mobile Armor Radio (monthly: big stompy robots in general)

Radio: whatever the local rock station is, as that is the least annoying...at least until Bryan Adams comes on (which is often, Canadian content rules from the CRTC)

On my PC I mostly listen to Amazon Music or Youtube.

APRIL 3!

Err, no.  They are in the queue, just not in the top 1000 currently.....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1