Sign in to follow this  
Werkrobotwerk

Getting to know APRIL 2020ish

4 hours ago, TripleH said:

Kobolds are in charge of the W.O.O.F. space program and are attempting the gain control of the moon as well as the Getting T Know You Thread. Given kobolds are dog-like creatures, it seems obvious that this is just a big conspiracy by W.O.O.F.

8a2091222f6e922f62cc77e0c2b17bb1--the-boxer-project-ideas.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, Grumpy Cave Bear said:

Heh.  I never said I didn’t own recasts, it’s just personal experience that soured me on them.  I picked up several recasts in the early 90’s when I first got into the hobby, some from a shop when I visited Taiwan, some mail-order in the U.S., and only learned they were recasts after I learned more of the hobby.  What a struggle they were to assemble!  My penance for buying early 90’s recasts was having to build and paint early 90’s recasts.  That tradition of punishing yourself with recasts continues today, especially if you buy the stuff made in Thailand and sold on eBay, which I hear literally crumbles in your hands.

The hobby of large-scale resin anime and sci-fi garage kits is just about at an end, as I see it.  Most of the market has switched to selling pre-assembled, pre-painted PVA figures instead.  There’s still a few hobbyists and companies making figure kits for conventions, which then get immediately pirated.

@Auberon, if you’re serious about it, I think the future of large scale figure modeling is in 3D printing. .

I haven't taken the plunge into 3D printing yet, and I don't think I'll take the plunge in the near future.  (I need to survive the upcoming round of workforce reduction first)  It seems half the time a figure catches my eye it turns out to be a "single day license" creation, and it seems unlikely the sculptor would be allowed to release any files for those. I have no interest in any kind of prepaint, so if that's the way it ultimately goes I'll buy something else.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 25

What is the worst dungeon trap?

Bacon. It is something you will go to any lengths to get, face any peril and pursue relentlessly. And once you have it, it's not enough. It is never enough.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

16 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:
22 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 24

that carbon rod came from the moon! How did the kobolds get there?

They were visiting the Emperor of the Moon, @buglips*the*goblin.

Seconded. 

Thirded. 

They were brought in as trap placement consultants by Moon palace staff, on the occasion of His Imperial Excellency’s most recent birthday. 

3 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 25

:huh: All I know is Kobolds will have nothing to do with such sub-Standard work. 

3 hours ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:
3 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 25

Bacon. It is something you will go to any lengths to get, face any peril and pursue relentlessly. And once you have it, it's not enough. It is never enough.

I have Bacon in my fridge. 

I wonder if it is a trap...?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 4/24/2020 at 9:35 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 24

that carbon rod came from the moon! How did the kobolds get there?

Well, the Gnome's aren't going to send themselves on the test flights....

5 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 25

For my group, a fairly simple puzzle.  Something super complex or obscure we can solve in 5 minutes. But simple?  We're done for the night. 3 hours of spiraling down random rabbit holes later.....

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 25

A sign that says FREE MINIS, ENTER HERE!!!!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

6 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 25

One labelled "Trap"

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

10 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 25

A single, solitary corridor, where everything is quiet.... Too quiet, say the players.  No wind, no weird smells (its eerily clean smelling for the third level of a dungeon, like out in a meadow), and no sounds other than the characters' breathing.  Even magical sight abilities won't reveal much, other than the corridor seemingly going for over a hundred feet... 

It's enough to be maddening to some, it may be said...  Because c'mon, nobody is going to believe an empty corridor is going to be precisely that - empty. Or so the players think. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 25

Worst as in I don't like it? Probably the classic poison needle in the chest. It's been done to death, and encourages brute force over cleverness, unless you add extra bells and whistles to the trap. I mean, you have to trap the occasional chest to keep your players honest, but not every time.

Worst as in it's hazardous and kills characters? Not sure. There are just *so many* to choose from.

22 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

A single, solitary corridor, where everything is quiet.... Too quiet, say the players.  No wind, no weird smells (its eerily clean smelling for the third level of a dungeon, like out in a meadow), and no sounds other than the characters' breathing.  Even magical sight abilities won't reveal much, other than the corridor seemingly going for over a hundred feet... 

It's enough to be maddening to some, it may be said...  Because c'mon, nobody is going to believe an empty corridor is going to be precisely that - empty. Or so the players think. 

I haven't actually tried this, but:

Set up an empty, harmless corridor ending in a closed door. Entering the corridor starts a timer (the trigger can be whatever you want. magic, pressure plate, opening another door, whatever). After 30 or 40 seconds something awful happens to people in the corridor (poison, fire, collapsing ceiling, whatever). The safe solution is to simply walk down the corridor and go through the door at the end.

I bet 9/10 parties get thwomped.

Edited by klarg1
  • Like 6
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 25

The idea that you ONLY NEED A FEW MINIS TO PLAY THE GAME. 

That is what I was told when I started playing D&D/AD&D. After twenty years of painting the groups minis, I still needed to paint a few more.

That is a diabolic trap if there ever was one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

1 hour ago, klarg1 said:

I haven't actually tried this, but:

Set up an empty, harmless corridor ending in a closed door. Entering the corridor starts a timer (the trigger can be whatever you want. magic, pressure plate, opening another door, whatever). After 30 or 40 seconds something awful happens to people in the corridor (poison, fire, collapsing ceiling, whatever). The safe solution is to simply walk down the corridor and go through the door at the end.

I bet 9/10 parties get thwomped.

And therein lies how it's such a dangerous thing...  It could do nothing...  It could do nothing for a while...  Or it could be a death trap two seconds later.

Make it extra fiendish by having the first half of the room they're in collapse as they're deciding, or an ambush, or... ah unno. ^_^

• Like 4