Sign in to follow this  
Werkrobotwerk

Getting to know APRIL 2020ish

On 4/27/2020 at 9:02 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 27

what do you do when you can't sleep?

Usually watch something, play something, or get up and go watch my roommate play games and get occasional pets. That last one especially gets me to relax and fall asleep. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 4/27/2020 at 10:02 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 27

Lay in bed and let my mind wander. Sometimes I can get some waking-REM type dreams so I can get up refreshed despite having laid awake all night and morning.

I call them waking-REM type dreams because the clock will have ticked off five whole minutes while I swear I just had an hour long dream and I wasn't asleep for any of it. I don't know if everyone can do that or if it's just a function of my sleepwalking or autism or any number of crossed nerves but I can pull three nights in a row like that without other people noticing my insomnia.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 28

What are your local birds doing?

They're... being birds in the spring.

This means they're visiting the feeders and there are occasional turf wars.  The gray catbirds have come back (they always disappear in the fall for some reason, even though we're part of their year-round range).  Our normal year-round birds are still around too.

We had a cardinal and a blue jay at our feeders at the same time yesterday.  It was almost baseball!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 28

Mostly normal springtime bird things.

Except for the turkeys. The turkeys are taking over man. :ph34r:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, klarg1 said:

I know what you mean.  Last time I was in downtown Falmouth on Cape Cod, they were blocking traffic on Main Street.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 4/27/2020 at 7:02 AM, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 27

I pick up my tablet and start reading, which exacerbates the problem, or I put on headphones and listen to a podcast while lying in bed.  I almost always wake up with the headphones on the floor and about the first ten minutes of the podcast in my memory.

12 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 28

That elfin’ woodpecker has been rattling on our metal gutters this spring!  Off and on for about 3-4 weeks.  Haven’t heard from him in about a week though, so maybe he finally found a mate.

Edited by Grumpy Cave Bear
Multiple copies of post!
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, klarg1 said:

I've got a strong dislike of turkeys. My dad wanted to raise some and release them in the bush on our land. They decided that the trees right behind our house was their territory and weren't wild at all. Vicious, miserable things but dad loved them so we weren't allowed to get rid of them. When there was only one left my morning routine was to grab him when he attacked me, shove him head first into a 5 gallon pail and leave it one it' side so I could get to the barn to do chores. One day I must have stuffed him a little too tight and he was still in the pail when I came back, dead. I hid him in the nearest bush where I thought dad wouldn't find him. He hunted half a day until he did find the dang thing. Couldn't understand why it died. I finally told dad about 10 years later that I'd killed him. When my mom and I talk about the old days we still can't understand why any of us put up with those stinking turkeys for so many years.

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

On 4/27/2020 at 3:02 PM, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 27

I listen to the radio, with the background percussion of Diva snoring her little heart out. Its usually her snoring that wakes me up in the first place :rolleyes:

23 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 28

Our garden birds are up to their usual squabbling with a slight decrease in numbers, probably due to the fact that some of them are incubating right now.

The waterfowl on my morning walk have been very busy!

There's 4 Mute Swan nests, here's one of the parents letting their eggs cool down due to some unusually sunny weather.

RSCN8595.thumb.JPG.1227b5892749bda5c426e9d50584a4f9.JPG

There's at least 3 Great Crested Grebe nests, some are going for the natural approach 

RSCN8593.thumb.JPG.be3e6b954e6d2e1643bbc612a19d19c7.JPG

.....and some are nesting on the man made islands(and successfully fighting off some unruly Canada Geese :)

RSCN8596.thumb.JPG.f51015f559972871f18fe794a80365ef.JPG

Coots are using the man made islands too. The islands were installed by our local conservation group and they planted them with lots of nice native plants and protected the young plants with mesh and some barriers. The swans knocked most of it down within days :rolleyes:

RSCN8592.thumb.JPG.3837fc59595f443adc628a74a18e2b33.JPG

This is the first babies I've seen so far, they didn't seem too impressed with the duck food I gave to their mum.

RSCN8594.thumb.JPG.f5a157e28ea9470cb8a1163e12e9f084.JPG

Hopefully everything else should be hatching soon :wub:

• Like 7
  • Thanks 7

26 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 29

Space monsters demand a big cereal! What cereal is it? (can be a fictional cereal)

Quisp! You have to be a kid from the 70s to remember that.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 29

Space monsters demand a big cereal! What cereal is it? (can be a fictional cereal)

Don't be silly! Monsters don't eat cereal! They eat Monster Munch! 

509558376_MonsterMunch.thumb.JPG.2c2523f0ec543a71d0f1e01c837fb1e5.JPG

Which makes me a monster, I guess. Oh well. I've been called worse ::P:

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

47 minutes ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 29

Earth Nuggets?

dea2de18eaa25b1932e137998eaf6893.jpg

But I think we’ll be fine if we just get them hooked on Slurm (it’s highly addictive!)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

2 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 29

admiral-ackbar-cereal.thumb.jpg.7f5cb564b00c2d056e85a10374632811.jpg

Why give them this? Because it's a TRAP!! Their taste buds can't repel firepower of that magnitude.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 12

4 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

April 29

Might as well be fictional (since it was discontinued in the mid-'90's): Cruncheroos, Apple Cinnamon

Not fictional: Frosted Flakes or Sugar Crisps

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1