Sign in to follow this  
Kangaroorex

Darksword Elmore Dragon #5: Bronze dragon

14 minutes ago, 72moonglum said:

And this guy is metal, right? Very cool!

Thanks!  Yes, he's a metal dragon.  the heaviest part of the dragon though is the wings.  They weigh about half again as much as the rest of the dragon does.  for a lark, before I assembled them (which is a significant challenge BTW, each wing consists of two pieces and they have to be bent in exactly the same way or they wont line up) I left them flat to see what his wingspan was and even though they were still slightly furled he had a 12 inch span from tip to tip. 

• Like 7

Wow, he's gorgeous!

I've seen the picture, but I never realized that there was a mini based on it. I love the colour shift effect!

• Thanks 1

Wow, great work!  I love the effect.  Did you go straight over a black basecoat?  Is that Liquitex or Golden?  I assume it's interference paint, and it looks like what I have (a couple varieties of).  Haven't done much with it except the carapace of one of the Bones bugs.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BLZeebub said:

Wow, great work!  I love the effect.  Did you go straight over a black basecoat?  Is that Liquitex or Golden?  I assume it's interference paint, and it looks like what I have (a couple varieties of).  Haven't done much with it except the carapace of one of the Bones bugs.

these are the Vallejo colorshift  paints,  77-007 pearl violet on the upper wing and 77.015 gold yellow/burnt orange on the undersides.  they are painted on brown primer.  these paints act really differently depending on what the substrate is but they are fun to play with.  They are much easier to work with than the interference pigments i have from Jaquard.

4 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

Wow, he's gorgeous!

I've seen the picture, but I never realized that there was a mini based on it. I love the colour shift effect!

he is a pretty one!  This is an older mini but still one of the crispest out there.  still has some fit problems but overall its one of the better fits for a metal mini out there.  And as i said, he completes the set of 5 Elmore dragons from Darksword.  Maybe i will get a chance to post a pic of all 5 of them together!

• Like 2

Wonderful dragon - would love to see all five of yours together! 

This one has so much character and I really like how you brought that out in the face.

• Thanks 1

On 4/2/2020 at 11:38 AM, Iridil said:

This one has so much character and I really like how you brought that out in the face.

Maybe this week.  These are almost all big and heavy so they can be a little difficult to extract from the shelves but I'll manage 

On ‎4‎/‎2‎/‎2020 at 11:38 AM, Iridil said:

Because you asked!

dragons1.thumb.jpg.f08fa87e32b9c5c4596d3b0d0c8e0166.jpg

dragons2.thumb.jpg.783729e95c39c64f6e6ef6c48af9ba8e.jpg

dragons3.thumb.jpg.68960bd1f14b42a315c673c8f0f2bdf2.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Wow! That's the best adventuring party I've ever seen! 

Gorgeous paint jobs, I'm equal parts impressed/jealous :winkthumbs:

• Like 1

On ‎4‎/‎8‎/‎2020 at 12:28 PM, Kuroneko said:

Wow! That's the best adventuring party I've ever seen! 

Gorgeous paint jobs, I'm equal parts impressed/jealous :winkthumbs:

Thanks.  it was a nice feeling to complete the set though that gold dragon took forever when I did him.  (he was the first) On to other things since I don't have to worry about keeping up with my DND group until we meet in person again I can paint whatever I feel like

Maybe someday I will finish repainting my Grenadier dragon lords circle.  I have my highschool original in a box but it would be interesting to put them side by side.  that was long ago and far away.

Edited by Kangaroorex
  • Like 2