Sign in to follow this  
TheAuldGrump

SF Conspiracy Games?

Looking at my dusty copy of Lester Smith's Dark Conspiracy - the GDW first edition. Huh... I never knew there was a third edition of the game.

And the Alternity edition of TSR's Dark Matter.

And Conspiracy X.

And even TSR's classic(?) Tabloid.

Dark Conspiracy was the only one that I have run, so... thoughts?

Dark Matter actually looks the most intriguing, and I think DriveThru still has the D20 Modern version of the game.

Night's Black Agents also looks good - and tempts me to run the WWII Ravenloft game I did a few years back, with SpyCraft 2.0. (I love Spycraft 2.0.)

This is more of a thought exercise than an actual plan, at this point, at least.

A final contender is, uhm Jinkies. Talking dog is optional.

The Auld Grump - and I'd've  gotten away with it, too, if it weren't for you meddling kids!

• Like 1

I played Dark Conspiracy for quite a while years ago. But we had converted the game to the Hero System. Our GM was more comfortable with it. It was a lot of fun. I have also run Dark Matter. The scenario was called the Killing Jar. It was pretty well written, but unsatisfying at the end. I think the best source material for this genre of game, is modern day Call of Cthulhu. I have run many CoC games which had been quite fun. The only downside of playing in a modern (sort of realistic setting) is that people's personal feelings on current subjects may effect game play, as well as player's political views.

buckyball

• Like 2

On 8/11/2020 at 10:47 PM, buckyball said:

I played Dark Conspiracy for quite a while years ago. But we had converted the game to the Hero System. Our GM was more comfortable with it. It was a lot of fun. I have also run Dark Matter. The scenario was called the Killing Jar. It was pretty well written, but unsatisfying at the end. I think the best source material for this genre of game, is modern day Call of Cthulhu. I have run many CoC games which had been quite fun. The only downside of playing in a modern (sort of realistic setting) is that people's personal feelings on current subjects may effect game play, as well as player's political views.

buckyball

Have you tried the Gumshoe version of Delta Green?

The CoC version has Delta Green as a rogue agency, operating with no secure funding, little oversight, and active opposition from various other Agencies and Bureaus, following the agency over reaching during the Vietnam War.

The Gumshoe version is about that fall from grace, during that same war. The Fall of Delta Green

image.png.a319e1b37e1b7d78410b292e34b08b87.png

Both are excellent, but with very different focus - and if there is one word that sums up The Fall of Delta Green, that word is hubris.

The Auld Grump