• ×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By silentoutsidr
      Hi Everyone,

This is my first time sharing my miniatures step by step, and excited to do so. Hopefully I can learn some things and everyone else who views the thread will learn a bit too.
      I have been looking forward to the Starcadia board game and especially painting the minis that come with it. So first up is the Weeble alien monster. I picked it for 2 reasons, 1 because it was a simple model and I wanted to try my hand at the big eye. There are 4 total Weeble models and it took about 4-5 hours to get to the point in the last photo. I decided to mimic the illustration that came on the Weeble card in the game, so I am using a similar color scheme.

First step was prepping the model, and removing the mold lines. 2 of the 4 models had 2 bad areas on their left fin that left gaps and a rough spot. To fix it, I tried a new method, I put a little varnish on each area. If you haven't tried it, I definitely recommend it for small gaps or trouble areas that need filled or smoothed. I put a small dab on, let it dry and done, no need to pull out the putty.

2nd step was priming. I don't like the spray can so I use gesso. It might take a little longer, but no noxious fumes and extra space needed, just brush it on and let it dry. I just spread it thin and quick most of the time, hence the streaking in the picture. The streaking never shows on a finished mini from what I have experienced.

3 is where the fun began for me, choosing the colors and beginning to paint. My most recent elven minis, I started experimenting with different ways to do base coating and time around I am trying a colored base that is different that the final paint layer. I'm trying this out to see if I can reduce a step in my process and still get results I like. After examining the illustration, I settled on a blue-green for the body of the Weeble, and yellow for the eye. I plan on keeping with the warm yellow highlight in the front and the cold blue / purple shadow in the back. Once I decided that, I chose my basing colors, of a dark yellow brown for the front and dark blue purple for the back.

4 with the base shadows on the model, I started working from dark to light. I mixed up a glaze of a medium green and medium purple blue. I gradually worked up the colors with multiple layers making sure to blend the colors together where the transition occurred between them. I left the eye alone, because the dark yellow brown was perfect for the yellow eye.

5 once I was happy with the dark colors, I moved on to my mid-tones. I mixed up glazes of yellow green for the warm light and a blue green for the cold light. I took my time on this step again applying the glazes in layers to build up the color. I decided to try reflected / bounce lighting on the model, so I applied the blue green more on top of the model and the yellow green more on the bottom. I imagine the lighting being blue white (like a daylight bulb) which results a warmer reflected light in the areas not directly hit by the blue light.

6 after a while I moved on to the eye. I continued with painting dark to light, so I chose an orange brown for the light area and the same yellow brown and dark blue purple for the shadowed area. Again I gradually applied the glazes and blended them together.

Overall I am pleased with the direction it is going, and it is still far from done. I having gotten to the brightest highlights or even attempted the mouth yet. After that will be the finishing touches, the green slime, and scaly lumps. In the illustration the lumps are black but I don't think black will look good, any suggestions? I was also thinking of doing a slime trail, or more drool I've not done something like that before does anyone have any suggestions in the direction? Or should I not do a slime trail or more drool?

• By Bustawolf
      Found the 3d model while browsing Pinterest and reached out to the designer and they sent me the file so I could have it printed 

• By Rahz
      As an entry to @Glitterwolf’s painting Pandemic challenge I figured I’d try something a little different.  I printed up this scaled-down nurse from Silent Hill.  Plan is to have her with a wall that is flaking away (crackle paint is the intent here) and dirty tile floor.  

a long time ago (I swore I had it bookmarked but alas...) I found a write-up by an individual who painted up some amazing veiny zombie skin using batting as a mask for the airbrush with the dark bruised colours going on first before adding the skin tone overtop.  Since I can’t find the reference, I’m going on trial and error and some fuzzy memory.  

im going to have to be very careful with the cleaver as it is less than 1mm thick. 

primed white and her dress was then covered with tape to minimize cleanup later. 

A good vibrant purple (mix of warcolours Violet 5 and Vallejo game air alien purple). Never planned on painting a zombie purple before.  

Then I hit it, using some batting that I teased and stretched out with Vallejo game air electric blue.  The right, her left, leg turned out better but it’s more splotchy than veiny.  I feel for the skin layer I’ll need a finer mesh (more space between) but thicker strands.  Will have to play with the batting to see what I can come up with.  

Thinking of priming up a couple plastic spoons to try this on to see how things turn out before I attack her.  Hope to start some work on the base tomorrow night. 

Thanks for looking.  

• By Glitterwolf
      I have yet to unpack the Elegoo Mars.
      However I installed Chitubox.

I have now loaded files.
      As recommended on Youtube I filled the bed with several minis to print.
      And I laid them flat to speed up the printing process and tilted them a little.

Test subjects:

Snake Warrior Cobra ( with base) Bat Demon Small Foo Dog statues Asian Ghost Oni in three parts.  

Added the automated supports.

• By Rahz
      After having whipped up a bunch of cake decorations on my 3D printer for my daughter’s birthday (Disney Descendants stuff), my son figured he should get the same treatment.  While this is unlikely to go on his cake, after watching the Mandalorian, like many, he was smitten by the Child, specifically the soup scene.  

this is a pretty quick job of base coat, drybrush then wash (repeated on the clothes because I tried to dirty them up and made a mess), with a bit of more delicate work around the eyes.  

The vallejo water effect in the cup clouded a little  but it should clear up in a couple days.  

Am quite happy with the little fellow and Mrs. Rahz is thrilled and hope my little dude will as well. 

thanks for looking. 
  • Who's Online   19 Members, 1 Anonymous, 46 Guests (See full list)