Sign in to follow this  
TaleSpinner

The Happy Side of Social Isolation

I get to have an hour lunch with my family on a daily basis instead of being far off remote entertaining myself with random stuff on the web :) 

Also no traveltime to work which also means more time for family! =) 

Pulled a massage chair from the attic to my new home-office which wasn't being used (from my 'previous life' when I was a single gamer), works perfect and it really refreshes!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Appreciating little things more and realizing what priorities are truly important. Yesterday some friends of ours from Church called and said they missed us and drove by our house, so we visited with them across our driveway while their little girl picked flowers [dandelions] in our front yard.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

To be honest, besides working from home instead of the office this is pretty much my life already. So it's not really affecting me much. 

I do enjoy the things that are now being "discovered" like the fact that ISP can remove data caps with no real negatives, and there are many jobs that we were previously told could not be done remotely that seem to be working remotely just fine. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Loim said:

I do enjoy the things that are now being "discovered" like the fact that ISP can remove data caps with no real negatives, and there are many jobs that we were previously told could not be done remotely that seem to be working remotely just fine.

Same here. 

And I really hope the telecom companies are paying attention to the areas that really need upgrades to their networks sooner rather than later. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

As vets are no longer doing farm visits I have been helping my neighbour with lambing.

Strictly limited to: "Hold this " and: "Pass me that", but it's been... highly educational.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 3

I'm still going to work (we manufacture components for PET machines, so are considered essential), but I'm discovering a zen-like joy in woodworking with hand tools in the off time.  I still like my power tools, but I've dusted off my hand planes, chisels, files, and brace & bits and built a portable work bench last week.

I'm also enjoying all the solo running and body weight workouts I'm getting to do.  I ran a 6:30 mile the other day for the first time in maybe 20 years. ::D:

• Like 15
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, VitM said:

I'm also enjoying all the solo running and body weight workouts I'm getting to do.  I ran a 6:30 mile the other day for the first time in maybe 20 years. ::D:

Back in the before time when I was not old and broken I used to do 150 pushups and 150 situps every night. I'm trying to get back somewhere close to that by the time this fiasco is over. 

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

:lol: Much like @Loim my life really isn't all that different from before. I'm just at home slightly more than I was before, really.

Let's see...the memes and song parodies have been pretty excellent; people's endless creativity never ceases to amaze me! Lots of smiles and laughs from such things. There was one post a friend of mine made on Facebook asking people to comment on things their children and pets were doing while trying to work from home, except substituting the word "coworker" and the results have been hysterical. Examples: "My coworker is laying on my bed taking a bath;" "My coworker is standing in the middle of the living room screaming for me to come change her diaper."

I can randomly cuddle MrBoot whenever I want since he's working from home, and I joke that he's getting paid to snuggle his wife. :lol: He's also discovered The Joys Of Gardening, so we're gonna have SO MANY berries next year (hopefully a bit this year too, with luck). I'm gonna have to teach myself how to make jam! ::o:

More general interest in friends and family reaching out and deepening personal connections, that's been nice. Everyone checking on everyone else, making sure they're doing okay, including church members I haven't really talked to before. And actually, with in-person church being cancelled, it's given me an opportunity to reflect on the most important aspects of my faith and beliefs.

I'd like to say I've been inspired me to suddenly take up exercise or go walking outside, but...well, one thing at a time, I suppose. :lol: I am planning to dig out my exercise tapes today, though, since my back problems are starting to creep up on me again without my regular martial arts classes keeping everything in place.

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

We had a pretty relaxed policy regarding working from home to begin with, so other than it being every day, not much has changed for work.  It's nice that they've finally sorted out some of the issues with our VPN setup, so that is a plus. Having to drop VPN to connect to some Skype calls was annoying.

It is nice to be having lunch with my wife every day again. Got used to that back when I was laid off, and we were both missing it. And now that the weather is starting to get nice, walks around the subdivision are becoming more common.

Hobbywise, I've got to spend some quality time with my 3D printers. Phil, my Ender 3, is on the mend from some major surgery (main board replacement) and with a little tuning should be back to his old self. Rezzy, the Elegoo Mars, just arrived and has been filling in as a time sink while Phil was out of commission.

As well, my paint room/office is actually getting organized. Our manager wanted everyone to have video on for our team meeting on Friday, so I had to take some time to clean up the mess that was behind me ::):

And gaming. I've been connecting remotely to play D&D since last summer when I moved for the new job. Everyone else played locally. But the last two weeks we've been getting going with Astral Tabletop and, for me, it is kind of nice. When I'm the only one remote it can be hard to keep up with the conversation and sometimes its hard to see with the camera, but with everyone on discord  (for voice) we are all in the same boat, and with the virtual tabletop I can actually move my own character and interact more.

We've also been playing more board games, and will hopefully start playing some Star Wars Legion soon.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Well, it’s a commonplace of this crisis, but I’ve been baking a lot.  My neighbor gifted me with a sourdough starter, so I’m experimenting with some sourdough bread.  

My kids introduced me to Board Game Arena (dot com), so that we can have a family board game night even though we’re scattered across the eastern half of the US.

Edited by Rob Dean
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 2

With all four of us (my wife, our 2 sons ages 20 and 16, and I) all home and working/studying in different corners of the home, there have been some serious challenges and adjustments, but we are all here, safe and healthy.  I know it is a bit selfish, but it feels like I have the boys back again like it was before jobs, school, and girlfriends filled their lives.  We've actually started a PF campaign run by my eldest son, Myles.  It's been a blast.  I'm also getting a lot of quality time walks in with them each evening.  It's like I am getting a second chance with them to not take them for granted and just soak up the time with them while I can.  All too soon they will be back to their lives.

I'm also making a lot of jewelry and getting caught up on painting and sculpting projects.

Finally, I am rediscovering my love of cooking.  Having no commute time has left me with plenty of time to make all the things I always want to, but never have the time in the 30 minutes I usually have to make dinner.  When we last went out and bought the next 2 to 3 weeks of food, I got a 25lb bag of flour.  I'm going to make bread; hopefully every other day or so.  Unfortunately, they didn't have yeast and I am out here to.  You nearly need to sell your soul to get yeast online right now.  So, I'm making sourdough starter:

sourdough.jpg.3f5c9f2dd5d2ad2ab097a5bf1571832b.jpg

It should be ready by Wednesday.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

Our situation now.

I started working at the Base again. Since there are only a few people there it's safe enough.

Besides I still haven't received the hardware and software I need to work from home.

I've been told it will come soon, so when it does I will be at home more again.

My girl works in healthcare, she provides homecare so she has to work.

Oldest vixen works as an assistant pharmacist so she has to work.

Youngest vixen has been struck hardest, she can't go to school and has to study from home.

She does work in the supermarket, even more now.

And she can't go out.

From the four of us, she's the one who misses that the most.

Luckily she can see her boyfriend a few times a week.

All in all the best thing about this all is that she's home more in the evening and weekends so we have more quality time with her ( and her boyfriend).

I have more time to walk with Brutus and the last five weeks we moved and I was able to do a lot in the new house because of it all.

Now to keep risks down, I'm the one who does the groceries/shopping.

Weird as it may sound, and despite the reasons behind it, I kinda like the quiet.

Less people in the streets, less people in the shops.

Ok, sometimes I wonder why everybody needs flour or TP all of a sudden while there is plenty in storage.

Especially during my walks with Brutus I feel free.

Of course we live next to a forest area and that's awesome in itself, but nowadays it's so peaceful when everybody stays home or keeps their distance.

I actually like that feeling.

If I get my stuff to work from home, I will bake and cook even more.

All in all, try to make the best from it people!

This will all pass, it may take some time, but we will get through this.

Take your time and count your blessings.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 1

I think this goes without saying, but seriously, everyone stay safe.

I am thinking of trying to make beer bread this week. I found a recipe, and it looks simple enough. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2