Sign in to follow this  
TaleSpinner

The Happy Side of Social Isolation

We're on week 10 of lockdown and I just realised something- I haven't had a single migraine since it started::o: This means that they must be triggered by something that I'm eating outside the house or dealing with the people I have to work with.

Right now, I'm leaning toward blaming my co-workers ::P:

• Like 12
  • Haha 9

4 minutes ago, Kuroneko said:

We're on week 10 of lockdown and I just realised something- I haven't had a single migraine since it started::o: This means that they must be triggered by something that I'm eating outside the house or dealing with the people I have to work with.

Right now, I'm leaning toward blaming my co-workers ::P:

Any chance of working from home more after this is over?

Maybe it's just the crowd/noise etc from people/traffic etc?

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Any chance of working from home more after this is over?

Maybe it's just the crowd/noise etc from people/traffic etc?

Unfortunately not :( On the plus side, I've been furloughed so I'm staying at home on 80% pay which is fantastic.

You may well be right about the noise/people- I work in a city so it might even be a combination of that and background pollution. It has been nice not having to do all my usual coping strategies though. Being able to walk through an awesome green space everyday has probably helped as well. 

Which reminds me,  I haven't posted any wildlife pictures in the randomness thread in ages! Time to look through those memory cards....

• Like 12

6 minutes ago, Kuroneko said:

Unfortunately not :( On the plus side, I've been furloughed so I'm staying at home on 80% pay which is fantastic.

You may well be right about the noise/people- I work in a city so it might even be a combination of that and background pollution. It has been nice not having to do all my usual coping strategies though. Being able to walk through an awesome green space everyday has probably helped as well. 

Which reminds me,  I haven't posted any wildlife pictures in the randomness thread in ages! Time to look through those memory cards....

Maybe when you need to go back to normal, a noise cancelling headphone might help in certain circumstances?

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Maybe when you need to go back to normal, a noise cancelling headphone might help in certain circumstances?

Possibly, but my boss likes being able to be heard at all times <_< I might see if I can get away with it though

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

Possibly, but my boss likes being able to be heard at all times <_< I might see if I can get away with it though

Do you have fluorescent lights where you work? They can trigger seizures in folks with epilepsy, maybe they cause your headaches.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

Then maybe custom moulded earplugs? The kind that blocks most sounds, but lets voice frequencies pass through easily enough.

In any case, identifying any triggers would be a great improvement.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I thought I'd end up getting to the 6-pack abs mark due to coughing. This is a pandemic after all, and I have Constitution 8. Somehow I'm not yet ill (good job British Columbia!!). And uhh... I've been eating well and exercising. I have visible 6-pack abs. Not chiseled. But present, regularly. I've been exercising more for about a year now and hadn't quite hit that until lock-down. First time getting the abs without coughing my guts out! Considering the state of the world, I find this highly ironic. I expected to be deathly ill and gain them in the absolute worst way, but nope.

Perhaps it is because I haven't been guzzling sweet chai lattes 3x/week with my coworker. Or maybe it is the biking? I don't have weights to lift really... so exercise is more just changed. Maybe lack of sushi/poke? Since fish based dishes don't store as well, I have been effectively vegetarian for the duration of this so far; I made one shrimp dish, and got one take-out poke bowl since March 13th. Not lack of interest, just not the right thing to prepare. I had been in the habit of having sushi or poke twice a week after exercise, but that isn't as feasible or practical now. And I want a big stew that won't spoil in the fridge after a week. So.... veggie stews it is. And so much hummus.

Been making my own veggie broth with the stumps and peels from cooking too, then adding that into the following week's meal. Turns out delicious.

• Like 15

4 hours ago, Corsair said:

Do you have fluorescent lights where you work? They can trigger seizures in folks with epilepsy, maybe they cause your headaches.

Fluorescent lights are notorious for causing eyestrain, especially for those who have sensitive eyes, or eye conditions.  Office buildings also have a really bad habit of not replacing them until they're actually dead too, which can cause additional problems, because they start flickering in certain ways that don't bug everyone... 

I got lucky though, since wearing sunglasses plus a hat really helps me out, and the polarization of the lenses helps immensely too (I'm rather sensitive to glare especially). 

• Like 8

For all of you who need it, some adorable Dog Pics

image.png.ab927b56d3cb99fafde0385ee8339bd8.png

image.png.24afcdfb6d29c1f93d398384ddee0c66.pngimage.png.6a61f2ca8ef4189fa16a9b063709d8c6.pngimage.png.40576fa1b24211b827e71e12a3aa7c21.pngimage.png.3198e2e0a45eafffe2e99d6ecd01b95b.png

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 10
  • Haha 7

I got my bike back from the shop. It had a very flat tire.

Went out yesterday for the 20km loop I've been doing. I did the whole loop, big hills and all, in 1 hour!! At the start of all this, it took at least 1.5hrs to do the loop (if I could do it at all, considering the hill).

I've decided the bike's name is Ms. Chloe the Clunky. Only got the flat fixed due to time, and she's a cheap bike, but I pretty much can't use front-1st gear because the gear shift just gets jammed up transitioning. But... I get around the loop, so that's good.

I am hoping that when the shops start selling used bikes again, there will be a soccer mom with buyer's remorse on a really nice bike, and I can pick up a good one cheap, lol.

Also: I can almost do a handstand. Quarantine is a great time for Stupid People Tricks. Caution: don't accidentally do a backwards somersault and bonk ankles on the radiator. That hurt. With Sir Cyr's help, I got to a 10s hold on a handstand! I launch myself upward, and almost get it, he boops me into right position and I hold until I need another boop. Woohoo!

• Like 18

13 hours ago, Cyradis said:

I am hoping that when the shops start selling used bikes again, there will be a soccer mom with buyer's remorse on a really nice bike, and I can pick up a good one cheap, lol.

Fingers crossed for you on that...bicycles are, in my experience, in the category of sports equipment where you have to have a decent one, because trying to use the cheap ones is usually painful and frustrating.  I currently have two, so the older one lives at the office (where it hasn’t been seen in two months). I got that one used, after someone had done a bike tour of Europe (according to the dealer).  It’s served me well, though...approaching 40 years that I’ve had it.  I’ve been through at least three sets of gears by now, and it’s gone from being a 15 speed to a 21 speed. ::D:

9CDC1980-5303-4E8E-95F2-73C9851D7824.thumb.jpeg.ed71ccf6d7bd8a8666c81cf50a0ca705.jpeg

So you never know...

• Like 13

16 hours ago, Cyradis said:

A couple of other options for finding a good, inexpensive ride if you live near a large metropolitan area:

• Police Auctions, lots of bikes in my city get picked up in theft cases and the owner never comes forward. These end up going up for auction after a set period of time and you can find some really nice road bikes for a decent price.
  • If you have a large university nearby some of them will have bicycle auctions at the end of the school year. The quality on these is typically lower because they're the bikes that graduating seniors didn't have room to pack or didn't need wherever they are moving to so they just leave them chained up and abandoned on school property. I know the university I did my grad work at would go around once a year and collect all the bikes that had been locked up for multiple months and then auction them off. I know of at least one used bike store that gets about half of their bikes from this. Then they put a little work into them and they have a great second hand machine for sale.
  • Look for bike co-ops. There's a couple around here that take in old bike donations from the public and then resell them for very little money. One I used to volunteer at actually had multiple repair stations and all the necessary tools where you could come in and work on the bike you bought, or even your personal bike, for free. There's also usually some bike nerd there willing to help with repairs and many of them offer classes on repair. I picked up and repaired a late 90's Iron Horse mountain bike this way for like $50. Put a $100 into making it a commuter bike and it was my primary ride for several years.
  • This one's a bit more iffy, but if you know when a brand of bike is releasing their new model go find a local bike shop that's an authorized dealer for that brand and check it out about a week after the new models come out. Occasionally they'll price down the last year's models at a steep discount. My wife picked up her Kona road bike that way for about a 33% discount for a brand new bike. 

Regardless, you're going to be amazed at the difference a good bike makes. That loop will seem like nothing and before you know it you'll be doing 100 km rides like they were nothing. Good luck bike shopping! 

3 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

I currently have two, so the older one lives at the office (where it hasn’t been seen in two months). I got that one used, after someone had done a bike tour of Europe (according to the dealer).  It’s served me well, though...approaching 40 years that I’ve had it.  I’ve been through at least three sets of gears by now, and it’s gone from being a 15 speed to a 21 speed. ::D:

9CDC1980-5303-4E8E-95F2-73C9851D7824.thumb.jpeg.ed71ccf6d7bd8a8666c81cf50a0ca705.jpeg

That is a beautiful Centurion. A friend repairs classic bikes and resells them as his retirement hobby. One of his primary rides is a Centurion. It's such a clean, comfortable looking bike I'm always just a tiny bit jealous when I see him on it. 

• Like 9

My area has the highest rate of bike thefts in North America. So I pretty much have to get a used bike from a reputable place to not be fueling that nasty cycle. Picking up Ms. Chloe the Clunky from the shop took 30mins, and I got there at opening. Places are selling out and are just swarmed right now. One place that usually does used bike sales isn't - new only. In part due to staying clean right now, but I think in part because they can successfully offer new only right now (and still sell nearly out). Another place actually did sell out of used bikes.

There is a big university here; perhaps the shop in the tiny-town attached to it would have some used things. And the kids leaving stuff behind would be the very wealthy (not uncommon to see a porsche or lamborghini on campus). They might have ditched stuff, not wanting to bother with it - more likely at the shop on campus though. Bikes don't tend to last multiple months left around - they get stolen first. And campus security will pick up bikes that are found left if they're there more than a day or two.

I don't actually know what will constitute a good bike or what would fit me, since all I have is Chloe the Clunky. So I need to go to a place that can guide that process. I still like horses more than bikes but.... bikes are more practical. Less love and snuggles. Also less poop.

• Like 9