Sign in to follow this  
TaleSpinner

The Happy Side of Social Isolation

4 hours ago, Cyradis said:

My area has the highest rate of bike thefts in North America. So I pretty much have to get a used bike from a reputable place to not be fueling that nasty cycle. Picking up Ms. Chloe the Clunky from the shop took 30mins, and I got there at opening. Places are selling out and are just swarmed right now. One place that usually does used bike sales isn't - new only. In part due to staying clean right now, but I think in part because they can successfully offer new only right now (and still sell nearly out). Another place actually did sell out of used bikes.

There is a big university here; perhaps the shop in the tiny-town attached to it would have some used things. And the kids leaving stuff behind would be the very wealthy (not uncommon to see a porsche or lamborghini on campus). They might have ditched stuff, not wanting to bother with it - more likely at the shop on campus though. Bikes don't tend to last multiple months left around - they get stolen first. And campus security will pick up bikes that are found left if they're there more than a day or two.

I don't actually know what will constitute a good bike or what would fit me, since all I have is Chloe the Clunky. So I need to go to a place that can guide that process. I still like horses more than bikes but.... bikes are more practical. Less love and snuggles. Also less poop.

Yes but you can't fertilize your garden with bike droppings.

Speaking of which, lettuce production has finally dipped to one salad per person per day which is nice.  On the other hand, the other morning I chased off a couple deer so I'll have to increase diligence as far as closing the garden gate.

• Like 11

18 minutes ago, lowlylowlycook said:

Yes but you can't fertilize your garden with bike droppings.

Speaking of which, lettuce production has finally dipped to one salad per person per day which is nice.  On the other hand, the other morning I chased off a couple deer so I'll have to increase diligence as far as closing the garden gate.

I no longer have a garden to fertilize, and my half-dozen windowsill plants don't really need a whole horse worth of manure.

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Cyradis said:

My area has the highest rate of bike thefts in North America. So I pretty much have to get a used bike from a reputable place to not be fueling that nasty cycle. Picking up Ms. Chloe the Clunky from the shop took 30mins, and I got there at opening. Places are selling out and are just swarmed right now. One place that usually does used bike sales isn't - new only. In part due to staying clean right now, but I think in part because they can successfully offer new only right now (and still sell nearly out). Another place actually did sell out of used bikes.

There is a big university here; perhaps the shop in the tiny-town attached to it would have some used things. And the kids leaving stuff behind would be the very wealthy (not uncommon to see a porsche or lamborghini on campus). They might have ditched stuff, not wanting to bother with it - more likely at the shop on campus though. Bikes don't tend to last multiple months left around - they get stolen first. And campus security will pick up bikes that are found left if they're there more than a day or two.

I don't actually know what will constitute a good bike or what would fit me, since all I have is Chloe the Clunky. So I need to go to a place that can guide that process. I still like horses more than bikes but.... bikes are more practical. Less love and snuggles. Also less poop.

I'd be really worried if a bike dropped a single turd......... :devil:

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

On 5/27/2020 at 4:54 AM, Kuroneko said:

Possibly, but my boss likes being able to be heard at all times <_< I might see if I can get away with it though

Noise cancelling headphones are great because it allows you to ignore people whose only purpose is to be an annoyance and just keep going.

With a boss, not so much.

If you have a shouty type boss, a noise cancelling headphone will help to reduce the noise to "normal" level but won't completely mute them.

GEM

On 5/29/2020 at 11:33 AM, Cyradis said:

Compared to horses, bicycles have more responsive steering, better brakes, and much less tendency to leak embarrassing fluids or solids.

GEM

A similar comparison may be made between horses and motorcycles.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 5/29/2020 at 2:33 PM, Cyradis said:

I don't actually know what will constitute a good bike or what would fit me, since all I have is Chloe the Clunky. So I need to go to a place that can guide that process. 

I’m just a rider, and I’ve bought just two bicycles as an adult.  Basically, fit is a question of your posture, and the seat height is a question of not being at full extension on the downstroke of the pedals.  There are probably youtube videos out there to help.  An actual bike store should help as well.  

As far as what would be good, the short answer is that you can feel it.  When I went to buy my new bike:

DB6DB1CD-E52C-49A5-AFB0-45E3CEF7E3B7.jpeg.2a3433a38f2692827e41579c2505c873.jpeg

(a Trek 7.4 hybrid), they had me try each of the models from 7.2 to 7.6 (figuring that I didn’t need to worry about the steel frame 7.1), and I could feel the difference with each test upgrade.  From the 7.4 to the 7.5 was a big jump in price for a smaller marginal increase in how good it felt, so it was a 7.4 at the end of the day (in safety orange, which pleased my partner).  So, try a bunch of them, if you can.  I think you’ll know.

Inspired by all of that discussion Saturday, and by the good weather, I rolled out for a  26 mile ride, with a 10 mile easy ride on Sunday.  Thanks for getting me moving. ::D:

Edited by Rob Dean
Typos
  • Like 10

I can't recall if I mentioned it here or in Randomness, but MrBoot turned one of our spare bedrooms into a makeshift nursery for some of our youngest plants that were struggling outside. He set up grow lights and a few reflector panels and the whole setup looks very cozy (and seems to be very effective so far). 

The other day, I was in the room next to it around bedtime, and heard him speaking quietly. Curious who he was calling at such a late hour, I opened the door a bit.

He was saying goodnight to his plants, and saying he hoped they grew up nice and strong, and he was sorry one was still struggling with fungus, but he was trying to make it better. 

:wub:

It's been very sweet seeing how much he cares about all of his plants, and how surprisingly paternal he's become toward them. He's been reading articles and messaging other gardeners with questions, and frets incessantly when one isn't doing well. Today he was even researching whether playing classical music would help them grow better! What's funny is that he strikes people as being very serious (until you get to know him), so watching him coo over our baby plants is not something one would expect. :lol:

So, if nothing else, it's been a lot of fun becoming "plant parents" during all of this, and getting to discover this hidden side of my husband. ^_^

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

Edited by OneBoot
  • Like 12

1 hour ago, OneBoot said:

I can't recall if I mentioned it here or in Randomness, but MrBoot turned one of our spare bedrooms into a makeshift nursery for some of our youngest plants that were struggling outside. He set up grow lights and a few reflector panels and the whole setup looks very cozy (and seems to be very effective so far). 

The other day, I was in the room next to it around bedtime, and heard him speaking quietly. Curious who he was calling at such a late hour, I opened the door a bit.

He was saying goodnight to his plants, and saying he hoped they grew up nice and strong, and he was sorry one was still struggling with fungus, but he was trying to make it better. 

--OneBoot :D 

He is much kinder than me.  I usually showed then pictures of the compost heap...

Edited by Kangaroorex
  • Haha 8

I find that the plants I'm attempting to grow tend to do better when I just let them sort things out amongst themselves for the most part.

The grass and weeds are a different story, those I do my utmost to terrorize and psychologically abuse in the hopes of stunting their growth. Unfortunatly this has backfired somewhat, as they are now growing faster out of spite. 

• Haha 6

Perfect timing! We just watched Back to the Future last night; as my girlfriend had never seen it.  :lol:

• Like 3
  • Haha 3