Sign in to follow this  
TaleSpinner

The Happy Side of Social Isolation

The good:

I can get free roads to practice biking, and I'm not a confident biker. By the end of this I hope to be able to commute to campus on bike instead of bus.

Tasty food cooking.

Pants optional.

I'm in Canada.

I'm stuck with the person I hate least. I mean... the one I love most. :devil:

My colleague in the Czech Republic got the last of my necessary data for my first (and possibly second) paper right before his university shut down, so I can actually do research for a few months without more lab work needed (thank goodness). He is getting cookies, when I can ship him cookies.

I have a good adviser who isn't an elfhole.

Somehow I'm not yet sick. Always figured that it was a When not If for me, since I have Con 8. Perhaps I'll be able to push it off until vaccines and treatments are available and hospitals aren't stressed.

The bad:

....... for another time.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Rob Dean said:

My kids introduced me to Board Game Area (dot com), so that we can have a family board game night even though we’re scattered across the eastern half of the US.

Is that BoardGameArea or BoardGameArena? The second got more search results so I wanted to be sure before clicking on anything. My family has been talking about ways to do board games online!

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 9

For us the biggest change is having the boys home during the days. We're finally off quarantine but other than I can go to the few stores still open now it hasn't done much for us. Very small town means that almost everything is considered essential but how much time do I want to spend hanging around the gas station and grocery? I'm doing all my normal April work which isn't a lot because it's too cold/icy/muddy to really do a lot. Give it a couple weeks and then I'll be able to work the kids like I did when young. We're all terribly soft compared to my childhood.

Wife is having the hardest time of it because she's happiest when everybody else is busy and she gets a trip somewhere every couple of weeks even if it's just shopping. Plus she likes going for walks on the street and hasn't been able to for several weeks. EVeryone's healthy and we're used to lots of time together so haven't been wearing on each other too much. Finally got started on a family exercise program which while much lighter than my normal which is good because I got lazy since Christmas. Give me a week or two of this and I'll be able to step it up to my light/normal. I've been trying to show the boys various old movies I like but the 2 year old has been doing a good job of messing up our watching times. She's a good kid but between her and #2 son's wierd moods it's messing up a bunch of family activities I'd like to do. I'm wondering it #2 isn't really a teenage girl some days. :rolleyes:

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

My partner got sick with all the requisite symptoms. Because of testing shortages and because she's not old we won't know if it really was coronavirus. Because of how hard it hit her versus a flu I'm kind of inclined to believe it was. She has since recovered through the cunning use of sleeps, bowls of chili, and two weeks of time. :blink: She shakes the flu in 3-5 days, this two full weeks is unnerving. Even now the cough lingers.

I did not get sick. I lost my sense of smell for a few days but then it came back. And then I was fine.

Given my worksite was shut down by the state of Pennsylvania on the basis of "are you elfing kidding me?! gtfo!" we have not had to worry about sick time or convincing some manager that this is a thing. Nor have I had to worry about my own biggest fear about all this: becoming an asymptomatic carrier and killing my friends. Instead I've been able to hide indoors and kill nobody.

Edited by NebulousMissy
  • Like 19
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, OneBoot said:

Is that BoardGameArea or BoardGameArena? The second got more search results so I wanted to be sure before clicking on anything. My family has been talking about ways to do board games online!

Huzzah!

Arena with an “N”... or some gladiators, I suppose...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

We're working hard to keep library services available to the public despite having no physical building to work from. It's been an interesting challenge, but it's putting a lot of focus on digital and remote stuff we already had that was underutilized. We've set up a virtual office and it's already become a pretty normal work schedule for most of us. As more people learn that the librarians are ready and waiting for questions, the reference stats are starting to tick upwards again. Not bad for being "closed"!

I'm teh tech guy, so I've been bringing home computers (I still have limited building access) and working on upgrading them. Cutting into the backlog nicely, though it's always slower than I want.

On my breaks, I'm getting in some yard work, slowly to keep from injuring my shoulder further or re-injuring my ankle (I also sprained that last year, it wasn't a great one, health-wise).

Best of all, I have a new kitty that I'm bonding with and trying to work with. He is a rescue from a house where he was having problems fighting/being bullied by other animals and it seems like the humans weren't very attentive to the pets (they had a lot, plus kids and a busy social/family life). So he's working out pretty well, though it is work at times. Having the time to do it when I need to has been extremely helpful.

I'm also eating better than I have in a few years, the common stuff being sold out means I'm just adapting with new ingredients or stuff I don't normally make. I was kvetching with the neighbor about running out of beer (I'm trying to avoid the supermarket) and she told me about a new place that has good stocks...so I'm going to be drinking well, too. Stocked up on a nice selection of hefeweizens, dunkels, bocks, and of course ye auld small beers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_beer

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

It hasn't changed much for me, at least on paper. I miss going to church, and D&D has gone online, but I still see my parents every day. I'm fortunate that my income and all is unaffected (so far). I'm still fat and lazy and semi-content to continue living.

I have let myself be drawn into the general spirit of things, though, or have inserted myself forcibly, perhaps. I'm really just now getting back toward (my version of) 100% after being sick with the flu and some other respiratory ailment (really makes a body wonder now, I'll tell you) all through January and February, and having the cracked ribs*. I've gotten a little productive around the house, been eating better. Doing a NaPoWriMo so am writing for the first time in over a year, and in a lot longer than that for poems. After getting all meh about the indie publishing scene for a while (again; I get pissy about it all the time lol) I've gotten 30+ submissions out to lit mags in the last couple days and already had an acceptance roll in**. I'm reading regularly. Listening to a ton of great music. It's not so bad. Tragedy and strife can make the simple parts of living seem a lot more meaningful and enjoyable, the necessary somehow more necessary, more rewarding.

There's a lot of promising news all the time--treatment options, tides turning, brighter forecasts, people getting well, everyone working together. Hopefully we're learning some things from all this.

*Between starting and finishing this post found out the ER doc is wanting $350+ for his literally less than five minutes of attention on that trip tho lulz.

**Whilst composing this post I also had a second acceptance come from this recent effort, so that's nice. Nonpaying market so no help with that bill lulz.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Marvin said:

It hasn't changed much for me, at least on paper. I miss going to church, and D&D has gone online, but I still see my parents every day. I'm fortunate that my income and all is unaffected (so far). I'm still fat and lazy and semi-content to continue living.

I was having a chat with a friend I graduated high school with a few weeks ago. We're both getting older, slower and larger. I told him, "I'm not getting lazy. I'm getting more efficient! I waste less time on unnecessary stuff nowadays." Gotta start getting a little less efficient though or my weight will start being a problem.

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, OneBoot said:

Huzzah!

I see that I had a typo in the original post. :blink:  Oh well.

So we played three games of Carcassonne last night.  Their selection is limited, but there are 7 or 8 that we either play regularly, or used to play regularly, which was enough to get me to pitch in for being the one in the family who can start a “premium” game.  I may have to hang out there playing all comers to improve my xiang qi one of these days, though.  All the copyright-free classic games are non-premium.

• Like 11

Lessee, good things. More time with the Wife, who has been working from home (I lawyer from home, so the big change is a lack of court dates for the foreseeable). Gaming has gone online, so while my models aren't seeing use I'm getting to play with friends who are much more distant.

I've actually been playing twice a week. I asked the Wife if maybe that wasn't too much and the response was, "I see you all day, every day now. It's nice to be able to sew by myself."

We're baking more, but the yeast shortage locally (or is it nationally?) means that flat breads and beer breads are the order of the day. I tend to find that the cheap, less than a dollar a can beers from Trader Joe actually work best for this. Seems foolish to waste the good stuff, anyway.

I'm having longer phone conversations with people. Again, it's nice to connect with friends I wasn't able to regularly see in the Before Times. So, a lot more contact with folks from out of state, or two counties away.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

I suppose I can be happy that things really have not changed that much for us.  DH was already working from home quite often and he has the kind of computer job that lets him continue to do that.  The names on the paycheck will change, but life goes on.  I spend most of my time alone anyway, even when I am not at home, so I am not missing much.  I have a fabric and craft stash that will last a lifetime, never mind the minis and paints to occupy myself.   Being home with no place to go leaves me that much more time to work in the garden this year.  My health is better than it has been in years, too, so it's actually getting done.  

I'm not worried about this virus. I understand how it works, when you have a chronic disease you learn a lot of medical and biology stuff.  I haven't caught a virus in 6 years, and the time before that was 21 years ago.   The homicide rate here is 6x the local covid-19 death rate, and I believe I am more likely to get shot at random than die from this.  So... not letting it keep me awake at night.  Not taking any chances by licking any shopping carts or door handles, either.  

I believe this is affecting my friends a lot more, but they seem to be mostly adapting to life as I know it.  Keeping in touch by text, phone, and social media.  Really trying to minimize the social media because of the stupidity.  To quote Joe Walsh "Everybody's so different, I haven't changed. "

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

Tonight, after Grump is done with his game: Captain America: The First Avenger

Tomorrow: Captain Marvel

Wednesday, after our games: Iron Man

Then things get less happy: The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, and Thor. Probably one a night, but skipping Friday and Saturday.

So, guess what the plan is? ::P:

• Like 11

8 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

With all four of us (my wife, our 2 sons ages 20 and 16, and I) all home and working/studying in different corners of the home, there have been some serious challenges and adjustments, but we are all here, safe and healthy.  I know it is a bit selfish, but it feels like I have the boys back again like it was before jobs, school, and girlfriends filled their lives.  We've actually started a PF campaign run by my eldest son, Myles.  It's been a blast.  I'm also getting a lot of quality time walks in with them each evening.  It's like I am getting a second chance with them to not take them for granted and just soak up the time with them while I can.  All too soon they will be back to their lives.

I'm also making a lot of jewelry and getting caught up on painting and sculpting projects.

Finally, I am rediscovering my love of cooking.  Having no commute time has left me with plenty of time to make all the things I always want to, but never have the time in the 30 minutes I usually have to make dinner.  When we last went out and bought the next 2 to 3 weeks of food, I got a 25lb bag of flour.  I'm going to make bread; hopefully every other day or so.  Unfortunately, they didn't have yeast and I am out here to.  You nearly need to sell your soul to get yeast online right now.  So, I'm making sourdough starter:

sourdough.jpg.3f5c9f2dd5d2ad2ab097a5bf1571832b.jpg

It should be ready by Wednesday.

Just ran across this article and it might be helpful:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/31/21199708/yeast-diy-baking-covid-19-shortage-make-it-yourself-bread?utm_source=pocket-newtab

GEM

• Like 4

6 hours ago, PaganMegan said:

So, guess what the plan is? ::P:

Wearing him out for more couch cuddles? 

Or just cuddles on the couch in general? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3