Sign in to follow this  
TaleSpinner

The Happy Side of Social Isolation

Oh, another positive thing; this has finally motivated me, after years and years of trying and failing, to start writing a journal. I was inspired by the fact that my posts here have sort of comprised a mini-journal of my reactions to this whole mess as various things have been happening, coupled with the realization that this is the sort of thing one reads about in history books and I should maybe keep a record of stuff as it's unfolding in real time.

So, yesterday I decided to copy all my covid-19 related posts (from here, Facebook, and various messages I've sent to friends and family) over into a word document, and start from that point to journal more properly. One difference is that instead of hand writing it (which is lovely but slow and it's what I've tried in the past), I'm typing it, and while it's far less personal, by golly am I getting a whole lot more written! :lol:

Huzzah!

--OneBoot :D

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

We've been really enjoying the time with the Tiny Overlord. He's getting so big, and getting to watch him absorb everything has been amazing.

The Great Bearded One is still essential, but he and the other guy that do the same job at different plants are taking turns physically going. They're alternating weeks at home so that if one of them gets it, the other can cover.

We get lunches and giggles and moments in between meetings. I also got to set up a new office, since she actually has to work in his!

We've decided that I'm just gonna stay home and study for my state boards until I get a new job. My dad is doing radiation currently, and they keep the TO when I'm working, so the thought of bringing something home from the ER was just too much risk. We've tabled going back until after he's done with his treatment. 

Which means I'm actually getting to paint! And bake. Lol. We've make Yorkshire puddings, baked donuts, bread, banana bread, etc.

I'm glad y'all are all taking care. Please continue to do so, and wash your hands. :wub:

• Like 15
  • Thanks 2

To be honest, the whole "End of the World" thing has really impacted my daily life all that much, other then work is allot more of it these days. I mean I still go to work at midnight, but I rarely ever get out of there at 8 am. Most of the time it's at least 9 am by the time I'm finally out of there. My wife is the butcher block supervisor, so her work life hasn't changed much as well (besides the cleaning routines there of course). Granted there is the 6 feet apart thing, which of course no one in this town practices (ughhh, get the F away from me people!!). Also, the time after the store is open is what I dread the most these days. The "Chicken Littles" getting their crap paper & bugging me if we have items in the back or when our next load is......(sigh).  Good example, last Sunday morning, some guy kept creepin up on me as I was trying to throw a couple of cases to the shelf. I finally said "F' this" toss the fully wrapped cases onto the shelf & left the aisle. Let him have his precious items.

Gaming life has tanked of course with the FLGS out of commission for the time being. Owner is trying to keep everyone in the loop of course. He did mention they are gonna try & get something going on Roll20 for the rpgers as the MtG crowd has found a way to play & the board gamers as well. I miss my 2 trips a week up there for D&D5e. Funny thing is I have no idea why but I don't really feel like painting minis for my games right now even thou now is a great time to do this. I guess I'm content on having primered or washed or fully painted minis on my gaming mats these days. I am re-connecting with my scale modeling hobby as I've looked at a few kits I put down months ago & I hope to get re-established with them again here soon.

I will say this, I hear the word "hero" being tossed around these days. I'm one of those people that allot of people consider that due to what & where I work right now. I can say this, I'm no hero. I'm just a guy working for a paycheck every week. I'm just glad I'm in the business that I can still work & not be out of work as right now, I'm not sure what I'd do if I were one of many that doesn't have a paycheck coming in. 

The heroes are the doctors, nurses who are staring this pandemic straight in the face every day. Heroes are police, fire fighters who have to be out there right now, while some people don't care what's going on. I'm not afraid of the virus, I can't be, but I can be vigilant of it. I just wish others would do the same. That is what I'm mostly concern with.

I feel bad for my son, who is set to graduate from HS this year but of course is home due to school closure right now & it appears that he probably won't be going back up there. He has started the online courses the school has them do. Just sucks, not being able to see your friends & the whole 12 years together & this is how it ends!?! He'll get through it but I know a part of him, feels crappy about it.

It can't be said enough, but "thank you" to all the front line fighters of this virus. We will get through this, hopefully for the better.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

Hey @haldir, we're thankful for folks like you too. Might not be the front line like medical workers, but you are out there more than a lot of us. Grocery store work is important too. Things would be a lot worse without folks like you. Might not be glamorous or heroic, but you do still deserve gratitude. And a raise. I can't give you the raise, but I can give the gratitude!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 5

2 hours ago, Cyradis said:

Grocery store work is important too.

True that. Hubby works at Walmart, stocking at night. It’s rough work and people are awful. It’s nice that they’re giving them bonuses right now too.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 6

I agree.

Medical staff and Firefighters/Police and such are very important right now.

But everybody in the logistic lines that provides us with food and supplies are equally important to survival and maintaining a functioning society.

In times like these we finally get to see what some people's jobs actually mean to us.

We take a lot for granted in daily life.

I hope that when this is over we've learned a thing or two and will appreciate each other more.

I do not expect us to throw parades for each other, but just show you appreciate each other.

I have talked to supermarket employees, some people get really angry about the measures.

When I come in I always ask the  person who hands me a disinfected grocery basket, how they're doing.

Same with the cashier. It might help for me that youngest vixen works as a team leader in a supermarket, so I can understand what they're going through.

Let's stick together in this!

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Agree with @haldir. If you call everyone a hero, then no one is a hero. We all like a pat on the back for doing good work in a difficult situation, but let's not cheapen the currency.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

9 minutes ago, paintybeard said:

Agree with @haldir. If you call everyone a hero, then no one is a hero. We all like a pat on the back for doing good work in a difficult situation, but let's not cheapen the currency.

I agree, I just hope people will give each other that pat on the back every now and then.

And especially when this is all over.

We're taking too much for granted, some people think others exist to serve them.

It would be nice if people learn from this, maybe be a little nicer to someone you encounter in a shop or a company or a delivery driver.

You get the picture.

Hero is a big word, Let's reserve that for the ones who put their lives on the line for us.

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 9

I worked retail for a lot of years, so I have always had a lot of respect for those workers. Right now it's even worse. Times like this bring out the absolute best in a lot of people, and the absolute worst in some others.

In other news I've been kicking around the idea of doing a craft paint challenge. Random Bones Mini, whatever craft paints you have handy, and see what people can do. Thoughts?

• Like 12

16 minutes ago, Loim said:

In other news I've been kicking around the idea of doing a craft paint challenge. Random Bones Mini, whatever craft paints you have handy, and see what people can do. Thoughts?

Could be interesting. I have a rather limited palette of craft paints right now, mostly intended for scenery...

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Rob Dean said:

Could be interesting. I have a rather limited palette of craft paints right now, mostly intended for scenery...

I'm much the same. I use them for painting ornaments and wood crafts mostly. I know it's been done before in the past, but what I really want to show is how people can achieve good results on a limited budget. Plus it's fun to just mess about. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Loim said:

I like it.  I need some motivation, and have a very limited number of figures and paints at hand due to the construction project. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Loim said:

I worked retail for a lot of years, so I have always had a lot of respect for those workers. Right now it's even worse. Times like this bring out the absolute best in a lot of people, and the absolute worst in some others.

I have no craft paints. Just MSP.

In other news, I just mixed up my first loaf of sourdough bread using my new starter.  It is an Oatmeal Sourdough.  I really, REALLY hope it rises.  

Cake is made with love, but bread requires ANGER!  I pounded a lot of stress out on that loaf.  My shoulders haven't felt this loose in weeks.

• Like 9
  • Haha 9

Oatmeal sourdough? That sounds amazing. Got anymore bread recipes to shove in the Food topic? Sir Cyr is becoming the bread maker (although we only have whole wheat flour right now). 

How much pounding can you do to bread before overpounding? I need arm exercises...

I also don't have craft paint. Only Mini Paint. 

• Like 8