The Happy Side of Social Isolation

I've got a ton of craft paint left from when I wad painting all my minis with it. I assume it's still usable. Briefly was thinking the other day about trying to order some canvases and finally taking a shot at making the worst impressionistic portraits ever seen on the planet.

I... just have no desire to paint minis right now. Dunno why. Seems like such a good time for it!

• Like 4
  • Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bread doesn't need to be pounded at all.  Wheat proteins will happily form gluten strands without kneading.   (Look up Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day)  Beating all the gas bubbles out of your dough can have a serious effect on its ability to rise. 

I've located most of my craft paint. Another bin with some color shift paints around somewhere. 

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Inarah said:

Have you asked your wife? :) 

Her hobby is jewelry.  She buys old and unloved jewelry, identifies it, cleans it, makes it pretty again, and then donates it to women's charities to be sold to make money to help stop human trafficking.  She has no hobbies that would involve paint.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3
1 minute ago, TaleSpinner said:

Her hobby is jewelry.  She buys old and unloved jewelry, identifies it, cleans it, makes it pretty again, and then donates it to women's charities to be sold to make money to help stop human trafficking.  She has no hobbies that would involve paint.

That’s a badelf hobby!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

So, I am reminded when we are discussing craft paints, has anyone looked at board member Chris Palmer’s regular blog about painting Bones with craft paints?

http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com

(How do I do that tag the member’s name thing, and does that give them a notification?)

2 hours ago, Marvin said:

I... just have no desire to paint minis right now. Dunno why. Seems like such a good time for it!

COVID-related, do you thing, or just a general springtime desire to be doing something else?  I haven’t felt a lot like painting either, and am engaged in my other common stress-reduction activity of baking.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I only have a few craft paints, luckily they're Red, Blue and Yellow so I could mix a lot of colours with those.

Not certain if I will have time to paint though with all the things we need to do at the new home.

• Like 7
5 hours ago, Loim said:

I worked retail for a lot of years, so I have always had a lot of respect for those workers. Right now it's even worse. Times like this bring out the absolute best in a lot of people, and the absolute worst in some others.

In other news I've been kicking around the idea of doing a craft paint challenge. Random Bones Mini, whatever craft paints you have handy, and see what people can do. Thoughts?

Before I discovered Reaper Acrylics I used craft store acrylics for miniature painting.

My painting went up about 50% in results just from the switch.

Won't go back, not even for a small solid silver loving cup trophy.

I might give it a shot for a large solid silver loving cup trophy, something in the range of the Stanley Cup.

GEM

• Like 4
  • Haha 3
3 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

COVID-related, do you thing, or just a general springtime desire to be doing something else?  I haven’t felt a lot like painting either, and am engaged in my other common stress-reduction activity of baking.

More status quo for me tbh. I thought I might gear up and start painting here, and it'd be the first time in a long while--I got a couple character minis I'd like to get after, for starters--but the urge actually to start doing it just hasn't quite arrived.

I have been getting after the writing stuff pretty hard tho, so that's probably soaking up a lot of that vibe on me. There's prolly the rest of this month still to go with this tho; plenty of time for my fickle winds to head me another way.

• Like 4

Got my Home survival kit and expansion in the mail today (8 days from Texas to Ottawa... I like!!).  It has been repackaged into a single box with a couple extra brushes and Reaper liner options added and will be delivered to a friend for his kids who's having a bit harder time these days financially. 

Other than stressing over my son's schooling as he has learning challenges, we have spent a lot more time with the kids, are playing board games with dinner at least a couple times a week, I introduced them to wet palettes last weekend and this weekend we're trying drybrushing.  My gaming table has become a kids' craft table and I'm strangely ok with it.  Plus my kids are really getting along well, playing games together, helping one another...  There will be bumps in the road, but we are spending some good quality time together with lots of good laughs, which I'll take as a solid gain. 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
20 hours ago, Rob Dean said:

So, I am reminded when we are discussing craft paints, has anyone looked at board member Chris Palmer’s regular blog about painting Bones with craft paints?

http://allbonesabout.blogspot.com

(How do I do that tag the member’s name thing, and does that give them a notification?)

Use the @ + the user name like @Rob Dean

10+ hr "day" yesterday, but hey at least we have crap paper & flour. Seems like our warehouse started shipping products to us as our load was pretty big. I think I downstacked around 9 or 10 solid pallets & my co-worked broke down at least 5 paper pallets (he stuck all of them but 1/2 of one on the shelf too). At least last night was a night off for me. I guess just preps me for tonight. Less then a month till my modified "week" vacation I'm taking. Must concentrate on that!!

I did go out to Wallyworld yesterday with my wife, I even went up to the Toilet paper man & asked for a package of TP, cause the package I bought last month is getting near the end. Guy looked so bored back there. It was a really nice here yesterday, temps got into the 70s, suppose to be that way today as well. I might & that is a big might try & mow the backyard, we shall see. At least the bunny had a good time back there yesterday. She stayed almost the entire day. You know a critter is fully relaxed when she extends her back legs all the way while she is laying down.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

MrBoot is currently having his morning work meeting; it sounds like they're listing a few positive things about working from home (he's got headphones on so I only get his side of things). 

Some things he's mentioned:

*Forgetting his lunch is easy to remedy

*Less gas / travel time

*Fewer people interrupting him while working (me from across the room: I can change that! :lol:)

He also just asked, if we don't have face masks, would Halloween masks work since they would ensure proper social distancing? :lol:

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 3
  • Haha 10
3 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

MrBoot is currently having his morning work meeting; it sounds like they're listing a few positive things about working from home (he's got headphones on so I only get his side of things). 

Some things he's mentioned:

*Forgetting his lunch is easy to remedy

*Less gas / travel time

*Fewer people interrupting him while working (me from across the room: I can change that! :lol:)

He also just asked, if we don't have face masks, would Halloween masks work since they would ensure proper social distancing? :lol:

Huzzah! 

Co-worked suggested one of those as well.

• Like 8
2 minutes ago, haldir said:

Co-worked suggested one of those as well.

I'm pretty sure wearing a bloody, half-melted clown mask would reduce the number of people wanting to get in one's face about missing TP. :ik_oops:

Huzzah! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6