The Happy Side of Social Isolation

5 minutes ago, OneBoot said:

I'm pretty sure wearing a bloody, half-melted clown mask would reduce the number of people wanting to get in one's face about missing TP. :ik_oops:

Combine that with the hamster onesie and they'll run screaming. :lol:

• Like 4
  • Haha 11
  • Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So as I reflect on all the frustration, fear, annoyance, and such; it's frankly getting me down.  The news is constantly filled with doom and gloom.  You know what, that's not what this post is about

Grump made origami flowers because he couldn't swing by Trader Joe's to pick up flowers for me.   The first time he made me cry was when he told me, back when we started officially dating, t

I've got something for this topic I think. This past weekend, I had the pleasure of reveiling to my family the gender of my upcoming child, due to be born in February 2021! Now, we had been

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Marvin said:

Hm. I mean, is it honestly gonna be any worse than wearing a pair of kids' underwear on your face, like I've seen people doing?

Reminds me of the Charmin commercial with the bears & the underwear on the ground....Ummmm they don't wear clothes but are worried about underwear.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
51 minutes ago, haldir said:

Reminds me of the Charmin commercial with the bears & the underwear on the ground....Ummmm they don't wear clothes but are worried about underwear.

I'd be worried too. It means somebody is leaving their dirty underwear in the bear's house!

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

So I guess one happy thing coming out of this is the amount of leave I'll have saved up when I get back. I'm working from home and it's just building up because I have no reason to use it.

I'm supposed to be in WV right now for a concert and then an extra long weekend of hiking, that got canceled. I canceled a big trip to CA next month to see my nephew graduate college and then do tourist stuff for a week. And Origins Game Fair in June just got postponed until October. 

Seriously, by the time July rolls around I'm going to be able to take a month and a half off work. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

About the only thing that's changed in my life, aside from not being able to get stuff at the supermarket, is that there's slightly less traffic on the roads in the morning.

So, I guess the upside of all this is that I haven't really had to go out of my way much to make adjustments for the current situation, which is good because I'm a lazy s.o.b., lol.

Edited by Mad Jack
  • Like 9

The thing I miss most is eating out, we love to visit restaurants, not possible now.

Luckily I'm also a hobby cook.

So I'm trying to make sure we have a nice dinner each day, try to do something special each weekend.

Hmm, I think I will make a nice Moussaka for Saturday.

image.png.cc2a9fe7beb1a865ba1240831477df01.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Silver lining is that with the CPA exam postponed indefinitely, I have time to hobby, and I'm getting in an extra Stonehell session every week. Plus I get to spend more time with the girls, especially Lucy. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 5:07 PM, Thoramel said:

So I guess one happy thing coming out of this is the amount of leave I'll have saved up when I get back. I'm working from home and it's just building up because I have no reason to use it.

I'm supposed to be in WV right now for a concert and then an extra long weekend of hiking, that got canceled. I canceled a big trip to CA next month to see my nephew graduate college and then do tourist stuff for a week. And Origins Game Fair in June just got postponed until October. 

Seriously, by the time July rolls around I'm going to be able to take a month and a half off work. 

At least you get something out of this.  I work from home normally and. because of this situation, everybody wants to have meetings.  I am pretty much tied to my computer desk for 7-9 hours a day on the conference calls or doing remote service work at various plants.  I am not getting even my normal work done and I am certainly not getting any relaxation out of it.  I have actually tried to take vacations days while this thing goes on and had them interrupted or completely eliminated.

I would be happy to trade for a while...

2 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Silver lining is that with the CPA exam postponed indefinitely, I have time to hobby, and I'm getting in an extra Stonehell session every week. Plus I get to spend more time with the girls, especially Lucy. 

Yea! the hamster gets a break!  ::D:  I bet Lucy is especially happy about this, and everyone wants a happy corgi!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

The extra OT I get on 3 of the 5 days I work each is nice but yah it would be nice to leave on time on a load night.

Heh, last load we got a pallet of TP. Ok, no biggie, that the way they are ordering or it's coming in that way (1 type/brand per pallet). We open it up, it's a case of individual wrapped rolls.

:lol::lol::lol:

Kicker too, no UPC so who knows how we'll get rid of them. I offered up a Thunderdome style way. Bossman just laughed.

• Haha 13

The randomized days off (now scheduled as one week on, one week off) with work are making it so I've plenty of time to do various things, which is great when you forgot to do a few things in your living room and wind up partially delaying that project because it's gotten too late.  On the flipside, there's time to do said projects, so things like earlier this week where I cleaned up and assembled more minis than I'd touched in the past three months was great... 

...Doubly so when both hubby and I realized we didn't quite feel like tearing apart the desk in the dining room in order to put a Billy bookshelf and one of their inexpensive desk tables in there.. And how, conveniently, those two items would allow for game and/or mini storage plus for me to have what will eventually be my airbrushing, terrain building, and sculpting desk.  So I definitely am not complaining there. 

Eventually we will have to tackle that desk in the dining room, but for now it stays, because if we're assembling something big and heavy in the living room anyways (only place we have enough room to build the bookshelf) it sounds so much better to just slide it a few feet into its permanent space instead of having to get tricky and thoughtful about just how we're getting it past computer hubby's desk and chair and into the dining room... 

Nope, not complaining at all about having somewhere I'll be able to sir down and sculpt, or work on a terrain project at all. I'm rather looking forward to it... 

Edit: oh yeah, it's also rather handy to outright burn through a lot of my assembly projects, and get them up into the priming stage, because it means soon I'll have a backlog of primed minis, waiting for paint...! 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 13

I've now gotten up to 2 bike rides of 20.5 km distance, with a mega-uphill in the first third of it, and irritating hills on the second and third sections. I'm only going out after sundown, or if it is yucky weather out so that I don't encounter unavoidable people. Unfortunately, sundown is getting later and later, and I'm finding that late night exercise can make it tough to get to sleep. Oh well - gotta get my exercise in.

But all this does mean that I'm getting better with the bike. I still like horses more, but this clunky hunk 'o' junk bike will suffice for training until we're let loose again. I think I'll be able to actually commute to campus by bike once we're in the clear. My legs still get achy, but not for as long, and I'm pretty sure in just a month my legs chonked out. They feel more solid. Not getting knee pain biking anymore; muscle went on in thigh around knee, when the weightlifting had it build higher on the leg. I think I'm still pitifully slow biking, so I'll annoy other commuters - that's the next goal. Get faster. Can't just keep adding distance when I start biking at 9pm; need to get the regular dose of pain with speed eventually. Otherwise I'll be out forever.

Got Sir Cyr jogging once or twice a week too. I can go at least a mile, even on sore legs, with small break, and then do another mile. His knees are his stuck point. Right now I think it is the higher breath rate endurance for me... and that I'm keeping my legs in a perpetual state of soreness (deliberately).

Would really love a 50lbs kettlebell or weighted bar to use at home. Alas, most places are sold out... and 50lbs kettlebells are like $100.

Oh! And the view biking at night up and down the mega-hill path is beautiful. English Bay in Vancouver is very still, since the big boats are stationary and no other boats are moving. It is quiet, both on the water and the beach. The reflections of the few boat lights, then the city, and from North Van on the water are pristine - just get ripples from the tides and the wind. Easy to see the difference in the wind by looking at the water almost more than by feeling it.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1