Sign in to follow this  
SisterMaryNapalm

Let's make ... Kauder got this - (Another WWII diorama project)

Yes! We can do it again! Let's make a tank! Let's make a beautiful tank!

Once again, it's a diorama project based on a game scene, once again, it's Combat Mission.

In this particular diorama, the commander of a Panzer III M is a reallylucky  person. In a shootout during the Let's Play of German wargaming channel "TaktikfuchsTV", his Panzer III got hit around 20-25 times, prompting everyone to believe that this particular tank was dead. And I mean ... DEAD!

But to everyone's surprise, the crew reentered the vehicle and drove away - going like:

hDEF356C0

Here's the scene:

Kauder reenters his tank (In German)

So I got me a commanders figure and a tank ...

First off, some pictures to see what this project will look like:

jykm-3o6-f535.jpg

jykm-3o7-fd12.jpg

jykm-3o3-a2ef.jpg

jykm-3o4-9d59.jpg

jykm-3o5-fe65.jpg

jykm-3o1-5abd.jpg

jykm-3o2-c6ce.jpg

So I got me a Panzer III from Tamiya and started to do some minor conversions ... and over the course of one afternoon, this vehicle was finished.

jykm-3og-aeb7.jpg

jykm-3of-f9a8.jpg

I am really proud of those selfmade smoke launchers.

jykm-3oe-9189.jpg

jykm-3od-a675.jpg

The vehicle will be displayed with open hatches. That's a challenge due to the really lame interior, but that's not a problem. I'll use colors to make the less detailed parts dark and the detailed parts white - I hope that will work!

Tomorrow I'll go over the armor and do the shell damages. The only thing I am not certain about is the frontal armor provided by the spare tracks.

I don't know how those look when they are hit. They are pretty massive and I simply cannot imagine them looking the same way as a normal armor plate when hit.

I've got to dig deeper into it.

• Like 15

PZKFW III is a beautiful panzer.

I have always liked the look of that one.

• Like 3

Let's continue ...

After creating some hit damage to the front of the vehicle, sticking close to the pictures, the vehicle was ready for priming:

jykm-3oj-2d55.jpg

jykm-3ok-27d4.jpg

jykm-3oi-e9d2.jpg

... and using a grey primer to unify all the hits and ricochet damage, we are now ready to continue applying the red primer and then the sand color!

jykm-3oh-554a.jpg

jykm-3om-087e.jpg

jykm-3ol-7001.jpg

jykm-3oo-a5d7.jpg

jykm-3on-7396.jpg

Stay tuned.

• Like 13

So far, so good...

Outside of the gun breech, Tamiya doesn't normally include interiors in closed top AFVs. They leave that for the aftermarket.

Not sure how far you're going with this, but drill out the MG barrels if you haven't done so. I can't tell.

Turret-mounted smoke mortars seem to have been rare on this variant, but weren't completely unknown. They were more common on the Ausf M, the short barreled Ausf  N, and Ausf K command tanks. If you want to go nuts, add the cable leads (thin copper wire) at the back of the mortar barrels, twist them together, and insert the three into the turret right behind the mount.

Add the lead (also thin copper wire) from the fender Notek lamp base out to the edge of the fender, then down into hull plate. Again, not sure how far you're going...

The tight shot patterns indicate a derelict vehicle being used as target practice by the other side. The hits on the track links would likely have severed the track pin(s) and forced the links up and apart.

'Sand' indicates North Africa?

Waiting for more!

• Like 6

Thank you for your comment, Glen,

2 hours ago, GlenP said:

So far, so good...

Outside of the gun breech, Tamiya doesn't normally include interiors in closed top AFVs. They leave that for the aftermarket.

I know. I already assembled Tamiya models, but as this particular model was asked to be opened to see the interior by the one who requested it, I'll leave it as it is and display the interior as quoted here:

"The vehicle will be displayed with open hatches. That's a challenge due to the really lame interior, but that's not a problem. I'll use colors to make the less detailed parts dark and the detailed parts white - I hope that will work!"

Not sure how far you're going with this, but drill out the MG barrels if you haven't done so.

This is common practice on my models. (Though I refrain from it on tabletop models, as I learned that drilling equipment there often leads to bending and breaking when used quite often)

Turret-mounted smoke mortars seem to have been rare on this variant, but weren't completely unknown. They were more common on the Ausf M, the short barreled Ausf  N, and Ausf K command tanks.

This is a PzKpfw III Ausführung M, as stated by both the game and the text above, though it lacks the Tief-Wat-Einrichtung, the wading muffler, and seems to be a conversion of a Panzer III L, equipped with a Panzer III M turret. I took the pictures from the game as my reference.

If you want to go nuts, add the cable leads (thin copper wire) at the back of the mortar barrels, twist them together, and insert the three into the turret right behind the mount.

Add the lead (also thin copper wire) from the fender Notek lamp base out to the edge of the fender, then down into hull plate. Again, not sure how far you're going...

As this is an unpaid "commission" and I have been asked to do it as simple as possible (and I don't think the "customer" will ever care for it), I decided not to do it.

The tight shot patterns indicate a derelict vehicle being used as target practice by the other side. The hits on the track links would likely have severed the track pin(s) and forced the links up and apart.

'Sand' indicates North Africa?

Nope. As stated in the first post, this is from a fight sequence in a game (which is the reason it's called "Kauder got this" - English for: "Kauder regelt"). After being hit like 20-25 times, the crew reentered the vehicle and drove away, much to the amusement of the streamer and his audience (please check the video link in the first post for the whole sequence).

The scenario is from Paul Conrath's counterattack on the Gela bridgehead in Italy in 1943.

Waiting for more!

The tank is finished - but I want to finish the Panther I work on as well before I continue painting both.

Edited by SisterMaryNapalm
  • Like 7

Ah, I get it now. I found the Ausf M above. I've built Tam's Pzkpfw III Ausf L myself - eastern front Panzer Grey. Basically out of the box + 10%. What Panther are you working on?

• Like 3

Working on the Panzers interior.

jykm-3py-1ab5.jpg

And the commander is ready to be painted - therefore: a little test how everything would work together.

jykm-3po-fda3.jpg

jykm-3pp-9c37.jpg

• Like 10

I have always liked the looks of the Panzer 3 and this one looks especially classy.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, Corsair said:

I have always liked the looks of the Panzer 3 and this one looks especially classy.

I am more the fan of the later PzKpfw IV models like the Panzer IV H, but the Panzer III is THE visual "reference" for early and mid-war German armored divisions.

I am glad you like it.

• Like 5

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this