Sign in to follow this  
SisterMaryNapalm

Let's make ... Kauder got this - (Another WWII diorama project)

Yes! We can do it again! Let's make a tank! Let's make a beautiful tank!

Once again, it's a diorama project based on a game scene, once again, it's Combat Mission.

In this particular diorama, the commander of a Panzer III M is a reallylucky  person. In a shootout during the Let's Play of German wargaming channel "TaktikfuchsTV", his Panzer III got hit around 20-25 times, prompting everyone to believe that this particular tank was dead. And I mean ... DEAD!

But to everyone's surprise, the crew reentered the vehicle and drove away - going like:

hDEF356C0

Here's the scene:

Kauder reenters his tank (In German)

So I got me a commanders figure and a tank ...

First off, some pictures to see what this project will look like:

jykm-3o6-f535.jpg

jykm-3o7-fd12.jpg

jykm-3o3-a2ef.jpg

jykm-3o4-9d59.jpg

jykm-3o5-fe65.jpg

jykm-3o1-5abd.jpg

jykm-3o2-c6ce.jpg

So I got me a Panzer III from Tamiya and started to do some minor conversions ... and over the course of one afternoon, this vehicle was finished.

jykm-3og-aeb7.jpg

jykm-3of-f9a8.jpg

I am really proud of those selfmade smoke launchers.

jykm-3oe-9189.jpg

jykm-3od-a675.jpg

The vehicle will be displayed with open hatches. That's a challenge due to the really lame interior, but that's not a problem. I'll use colors to make the less detailed parts dark and the detailed parts white - I hope that will work!

Tomorrow I'll go over the armor and do the shell damages. The only thing I am not certain about is the frontal armor provided by the spare tracks.

I don't know how those look when they are hit. They are pretty massive and I simply cannot imagine them looking the same way as a normal armor plate when hit.

I've got to dig deeper into it.

• Like 14

PZKFW III is a beautiful panzer.

I have always liked the look of that one.

• Like 2

Let's continue ...

After creating some hit damage to the front of the vehicle, sticking close to the pictures, the vehicle was ready for priming:

jykm-3oj-2d55.jpg

jykm-3ok-27d4.jpg

jykm-3oi-e9d2.jpg

... and using a grey primer to unify all the hits and ricochet damage, we are now ready to continue applying the red primer and then the sand color!

jykm-3oh-554a.jpg

jykm-3om-087e.jpg

jykm-3ol-7001.jpg

jykm-3oo-a5d7.jpg

jykm-3on-7396.jpg

Stay tuned.

• Like 12

So far, so good...

Outside of the gun breech, Tamiya doesn't normally include interiors in closed top AFVs. They leave that for the aftermarket.

Not sure how far you're going with this, but drill out the MG barrels if you haven't done so. I can't tell.

Turret-mounted smoke mortars seem to have been rare on this variant, but weren't completely unknown. They were more common on the Ausf M, the short barreled Ausf  N, and Ausf K command tanks. If you want to go nuts, add the cable leads (thin copper wire) at the back of the mortar barrels, twist them together, and insert the three into the turret right behind the mount.

Add the lead (also thin copper wire) from the fender Notek lamp base out to the edge of the fender, then down into hull plate. Again, not sure how far you're going...

The tight shot patterns indicate a derelict vehicle being used as target practice by the other side. The hits on the track links would likely have severed the track pin(s) and forced the links up and apart.

'Sand' indicates North Africa?

Waiting for more!

• Like 5

Thank you for your comment, Glen,

2 hours ago, GlenP said:

So far, so good...

Outside of the gun breech, Tamiya doesn't normally include interiors in closed top AFVs. They leave that for the aftermarket.

I know. I already assembled Tamiya models, but as this particular model was asked to be opened to see the interior by the one who requested it, I'll leave it as it is and display the interior as quoted here:

"The vehicle will be displayed with open hatches. That's a challenge due to the really lame interior, but that's not a problem. I'll use colors to make the less detailed parts dark and the detailed parts white - I hope that will work!"

Not sure how far you're going with this, but drill out the MG barrels if you haven't done so.

This is common practice on my models. (Though I refrain from it on tabletop models, as I learned that drilling equipment there often leads to bending and breaking when used quite often)

Turret-mounted smoke mortars seem to have been rare on this variant, but weren't completely unknown. They were more common on the Ausf M, the short barreled Ausf  N, and Ausf K command tanks.

This is a PzKpfw III Ausführung M, as stated by both the game and the text above, though it lacks the Tief-Wat-Einrichtung, the wading muffler, and seems to be a conversion of a Panzer III L, equipped with a Panzer III M turret. I took the pictures from the game as my reference.

If you want to go nuts, add the cable leads (thin copper wire) at the back of the mortar barrels, twist them together, and insert the three into the turret right behind the mount.

Add the lead (also thin copper wire) from the fender Notek lamp base out to the edge of the fender, then down into hull plate. Again, not sure how far you're going...

As this is an unpaid "commission" and I have been asked to do it as simple as possible (and I don't think the "customer" will ever care for it), I decided not to do it.

The tight shot patterns indicate a derelict vehicle being used as target practice by the other side. The hits on the track links would likely have severed the track pin(s) and forced the links up and apart.

'Sand' indicates North Africa?

Nope. As stated in the first post, this is from a fight sequence in a game (which is the reason it's called "Kauder got this" - English for: "Kauder regelt"). After being hit like 20-25 times, the crew reentered the vehicle and drove away, much to the amusement of the streamer and his audience (please check the video link in the first post for the whole sequence).

The scenario is from Paul Conrath's counterattack on the Gela bridgehead in Italy in 1943.

Waiting for more!

The tank is finished - but I want to finish the Panther I work on as well before I continue painting both.

Edited by SisterMaryNapalm
  • Like 6

Ah, I get it now. I found the Ausf M above. I've built Tam's Pzkpfw III Ausf L myself - eastern front Panzer Grey. Basically out of the box + 10%. What Panther are you working on?

• Like 2

Working on the Panzers interior.

jykm-3py-1ab5.jpg

And the commander is ready to be painted - therefore: a little test how everything would work together.

jykm-3po-fda3.jpg

jykm-3pp-9c37.jpg

• Like 9

I have always liked the looks of the Panzer 3 and this one looks especially classy.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Corsair said:

I have always liked the looks of the Panzer 3 and this one looks especially classy.

I am more the fan of the later PzKpfw IV models like the Panzer IV H, but the Panzer III is THE visual "reference" for early and mid-war German armored divisions.

I am glad you like it.

• Like 4

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Rahz
      As an entry to @Glitterwolf’s painting Pandemic challenge I figured I’d try something a little different.  I printed up this scaled-down nurse from Silent Hill.  Plan is to have her with a wall that is flaking away (crackle paint is the intent here) and dirty tile floor.  

a long time ago (I swore I had it bookmarked but alas...) I found a write-up by an individual who painted up some amazing veiny zombie skin using batting as a mask for the airbrush with the dark bruised colours going on first before adding the skin tone overtop.  Since I can’t find the reference, I’m going on trial and error and some fuzzy memory.  

im going to have to be very careful with the cleaver as it is less than 1mm thick. 

primed white and her dress was then covered with tape to minimize cleanup later. 

A good vibrant purple (mix of warcolours Violet 5 and Vallejo game air alien purple). Never planned on painting a zombie purple before.  

Then I hit it, using some batting that I teased and stretched out with Vallejo game air electric blue.  The right, her left, leg turned out better but it’s more splotchy than veiny.  I feel for the skin layer I’ll need a finer mesh (more space between) but thicker strands.  Will have to play with the batting to see what I can come up with.  

Thinking of priming up a couple plastic spoons to try this on to see how things turn out before I attack her.  Hope to start some work on the base tomorrow night. 

Thanks for looking.  

• By SisterMaryNapalm
      So, after quite some time, it's time to present some minis again. This time it's a group of Forge Worlds Death Korps of Krieg soldiers.

Those are a few prototype miniatures for a friends Imperial Guard army. If he likes the paintjob, we'll do them all in this pattern.

Oh, yeah - and just in case anyone goes "nice" or "awesome" or "excellent" again - HE'S WATCHING YOU.

If you really don't have got anything else to say, leave me a "like" instead. I take a "like" as a nod to my participation in this forum. A "nice" is getting me nowhere.

So long.
    • By Pegazus
      Yes, a 2020 ReaperCon WIP! And a massive undertaking at that. I'm trying very hard not to nerd out and put this whole project into, er, Project. There's just so many pieces to keep track of, that maybe I'll just use this first post to keep track of things.

Some background stuff, starting with a quote from the "Paint a giant robot! Group WIP" where I wrote some of what's planned:

You can read the rest of that post here: Paint a giant robot post and a second one to see where I'm going with this: PLA print post in same topic

Biggest takeaway is that, while useful, my PLA printer can only do so much. I have a resin printer backed on Kickstarter, but considering it's now 3 years late, I don't think I should hold my breath on it ever showing up. Especially when I can get a new Elegoo Mars resin printer with more capability for relatively cheap (<$300). The PLA machine was bought with both hobby and household goals in mind, and it's served well. But the resolution just ain't there! More on that down the posts.

I also had the chance to gain some experience on  paper plants at ReaperCon (Main post for that in the Terrain section post here: Vellum Paper Plants - Alien Jungle (WIP)

Basically, I have the scrap booking machine to make my own alien plants:

Which now leads me to this WIP. This is going to tie all those pieces together. The robot WIP will still be to get a good camo scheme, but that print job is not going to be used for the final diorama. Instead, that will be the resin printer's job. So, let's break down the WIP work that I can see so far, and will be edited later to add things and mark completions.

Tasks to be completed:

Figures Needed
      Wight (being pulled down backwards, caught by hidden lines) Gremlin Unit 01 (stole a supply crate and ran; actually just bait to get the larger CAV to follow) Gremlin Units 02 and 03 (trip line pair, successfully snagging Wight across the chest) Gremlin Units 04 and 05 (trip line pair, successful across another part of the chest) Gremlin Unit 06 (burner unit, cut Wight's left gun in two) Gremlin Units 07 and 08 (trap door unit, hiding entrance to jungle path with camo doors strapped to them) Gremlin Units 09 and 10 (trip line pair, successful across right thigh) Gremlin Units 11 and 12 (trip line pair, broken cable across chest, possibly falling over from sudden jolt) Gremlin Unit 13 (ECM unit, some large radar dish looking thing) Gremlin Units 14, 15 and 16 (cargo units, loaded up with stolen supplies and headed out) Gremlin Units 17, 18, 19, and 20 (gun units) Gremlin Units 21, 22, and 23 (missile units) Gremlin Unit 24 (large gun unit) Gremlin Unit 25 and 26 (junked units; scavenged for parts?) Gremlin Unit 27 (2nd style missile unit) Gremlin Unit 28 (personnel carrier unit)  
      Wight Conversion
      Right Leg: cut from pelvis; reposition Feet: cut off both feet and swap positions since the tread is only on one foot Base: cut away from right foot, possibly keeping full base around left foot Left arm (maybe): cut gun into two pieces, having one falling to the ground after being cut by a heat lance/chainsaw rope  
      Details to be included
      Camo doors at front leaving marks on the dirt path, but hiding the ambush from the main trail Pieces of old broken larger CAV units around Wight gun cut in two, maybe showing inner details. May have to 3D print an add-on piece Dust being kicked up by the stolen crate (going to try using dyed cotton) IN WORK One cable snapping dynamically, with several bends and twists (superglue on thread?) Multiple vehicle tracks around camp Campfire and tents for people A latrine Other camp details (laundry, chairs, sports equipment, bored carvings, etc)  
      Jungle Plants (V=Vellum cuts, B=bought, S=Sculpted, F=Found, P=Printed)
      Large lotus flower like plants, but dry land and maybe odd colors with a large conifer cone growing from the middle (V) Jester hat plant (balls on stems around a central point) (V) COMPLETED Spiky yucca like plant (V) Jagged leaf plant (V) Tentacle plant (V) Tripod trees (three spoke trunks) (V) Large palm fronds (S) Coral like trees (P) Horn tree (lots of horn shaped leaves from a central trunk) (P, V) Ball vine (like ivy but with odd leaf shapes) (V) Cabbage-like jungle plants with large wrinkled leaves (V) Fuzzy vines (thin wire coated with static grass) (S) Anything I can buy from N/HO scale train setups and painted alien-ish (B) Reaper figures that can be clipped and painted to be plants (B) Odd trees with strange leaf shapes (onion shaped) (V) IN WORK Random grass-like jungle plants (V) IN WORK Stem ends from mandarin oranges (seriously, pull one off and look at it, stem towards the ground) (F) Anything and everything else (VBSFP)  
      Base mounting system
      Design and print modular tiles with bristles on top (basically, Bristle Block toys) Allows mounting of all the above jungle plants Fill in around plants with thinned plaster via a syringe to create the ground surfaces
    • By SisterMaryNapalm
      And here we go again. I never get tired trying out new stuff and doing multiple projects at the same time.

The idea for this one approached me when I watched a Let's Play series by German Let's Player "DerHobbygeneral", who playes complex strategy games on PC.

That certain series was a mission in the strategy game "Combat Mission: Red Thunder", a game set on the Eastern Front of WWII. The mission is the recreation of the tank battle between German and Russian forces in the opening hours of Operation Bagration, the Soviet 1944 summer offensive that managed to crush the German Central Army and push the Germans back to the borders of East Prussia.

Combat Mission itself is a really complex game, simulating not only realistic projectile trajectories, armor and penetration calculation, but also randomly generating names for unit leaders and therefore emotionally connecting the player to his - or her - units.

One of these commanders was Unterfeldwebel Austermann, commandeering a Kpfw V Panther A, and throughout the game one of the main factors in stopping the Soviet tank assault at Studienka. The player and all commentators remarked on his excellent performance in the game and he became something like a meme. There were even suggestions of making a compilation of his best actions as some kind of memorial service in case he bit the dust.

And actually, a few episodes later, the Panther got hit a couple of times and was rendered inoperable. A shell even penetrated the front armor. While the battle for Studienka was raging, everyone focused on the question if Austermann and his crew would survive. And they did! What a remarkable turn in events! But I felt bad for the Panther, which was left behind.

Here's the scene - it's in German, unfortunately.

https://youtu.be/EJfQAVfhEoc?list=PLa3dxHLq2CvZBNhkqqaTX7jvSe7iOUjTj&t=752

Then it struck me that maybe Austerman felt bad, too, and when I saw a certain figure on a miniature shop website, I KNEW I was going to make a diorama about it. So I bought a couple of figures and a cheap old Panther A kit and ... now I am on a new project again - YAY!

I haven't decided which crew I take. I like both sets, but I guess I will go with the Dragon set. The other set can be used for a different project. But I guess, I will see once the overall layout is set.

Let's go!
    • By SisterMaryNapalm
      This thread is something ... different from other works I have been done.

I guess it's not entirely in accordance to the board rules, so you may forgive me and accept my humble bundle of roses, choclate and other stuff that will easy your severely upset minds.

When I am in the mood, I am doing so many speed builds up to the point of painting (means assembly, basing and priming), that making them all into different threads I would flood the forum with an unnecessary number of threads.

So I will keep this limited to the building process of my different tabletop figures, armies and stuff and transfer the finished figures to their respective painting threads.

What's on the table at the moment?

Watchful I Studios

28mm Chinese Army Deal (around 100 figures and equipment)

Warlord Games

56 Soviet Russians (winter) (making M into F)

Raging Heroes

Sisters of Eternal Mercy: 10x Sisters and 10 Flying Sister plus some support units

Andrea Miniatures

1x Female Warrior (upgrading her to be a Chinese Warrior Woman)

Creature Caster

1x Tree Walker

Flames of War

Fallschirmjäger-Kompanie + Support Weapons
      4x Battlefront StuG 3G
      1x Plastic Soldier Company StuG 3G

Corvus Belli

A lot of Aleph miniatures

What's done and ready to be painted?

Flames of War

1x Fallschirmjäger-Zug (9 units)
      1x Fallschirmjäger Kompanieführung (HQ) - different Units and support weapons.

Warlord Games

- 18 German Fallschirmjäger
      - 10 German Panzergrenadiere

Mantic Games:

Kings of War Succubi Regiment (20 Succubi)

CP Models:

Diana

Andrea Miniatures

1x Female Paladin
      1x Naga Warrior
      1x Gunmaid

Corvus Belli

Some Aleph miniatures

Watchful I Studios

28mm Chinese Army Deal (15 figures)
  • Who's Online   9 Members, 1 Anonymous, 35 Guests (See full list)