Sign in to follow this  
CptMuffincubes

Wet Palette Grid Tip

I used a sharpie to draw a numbered grid on the wax paper/parchment paper before I inserted it into my wet palette. It has been extremely useful. I found that the pigments would separate after a day or so and I would lose track of what colors were on my palette.  Now I use a little notebook and keep notes. This is helpful if you think the paint may be useful across multiple minis.

Anyways, just a small little hack.

IMG_20200407_082008949.jpg

• Like 9

I just have the in use bottles out on the table. Too much wasted space in a grid arrangement for me. I reuse the palette for a long time but never had a need for labeling it personally. But if it helps ya, go for it. Not hurting anything!

• Like 1

I just acquired some parchment paper (Reynolds brand) that has a pre-printed grid!  >> Wonders why bakers want that... <<

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, TGP said:

Wonders why bakers want that...

I use it to cut the parchment paper to fit the baking sheet, instead of tearing it off with the traditional blade that is on the box and never getting a straight cut.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, TGP said:

I just acquired some parchment paper (Reynolds brand) that has a pre-printed grid!  >> Wonders why bakers want that... <<

If that's the pre-cut stuff, be careful - I've found it to be thinner than the rolls, and it can tear easily after a day or so - especially when remixing paint.

Edited by IgwanaRob

2 hours ago, IgwanaRob said:

If that's the pre-cut stuff, be careful - I've found it to be thinner than the rolls, and it can tear easily after a day or so - especially when remixing paint.

Would using two layers of it help?

I am not sure if it is “the pre-cut stuff” or not. It is the packaged in a rectilinear box stuff. Why on earth would Reynolds bother having two thicknesses?

Maybe I will just save it for its On-Label use. :upside:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Would using two layers of it help?

I am not sure if it is “the pre-cut stuff” or not. It is the packaged in a rectilinear box stuff. Why on earth would Reynolds bother having two thicknesses?

Maybe I will just save it for its On-Label use. :upside:

I have stuff that is pre-cut to fit a baking sheet without guessing, I haven't noticed much difference but I've only recently gotten back into using the wet palette.

Here's what I do to plan and then track colors I use:

image.thumb.jpeg.3081024b81a3b5a287b9bc6fafaa66fb.jpeg

This is a WIP.  Since I paint over a white primer, I use a notebook with white pages to see how the paint will look over the primer and after it has dried.  When I choose the final colors, I'll circle the ones I've chosen and annotate if they are the base or a shadow or a hilite.  I'll probably have 2-3 pages for each project.  I'll build another page using only the final colors.  I can go back and specifically recreate each color I've use.

Then, later, I can run though my notes and pick colors without the exhaustive work I've done before.  But I'll still build a series of pages for each project.

Edited by Highlander
  • Like 1