Sign in to follow this  
Loim

Craft Paint Challenge

Ladless and Gentlemints, I've been kicking this idea around for a while now. And with the current isolation I think it's a great time. I propose a craft paint challenge. I have tons of great miniature paints from various brands, but for the sake of fun lets see what we can do with craft paints. This is my proposal. Grab a random miniature, Bones or otherwise, and ideally whatever craft  paints you have on hand (no going to the store for craft paints, this is to promote social distancing) and see what you can do. This will serve two purposes. It will be a fun way to throw some paint on a miniature, and hopefully we can also show a lot of people that while specialized paints are amazing, you can also get decent results on a budget. If you aren't into miniature painting, and still want to throw some craft paints on canvas or paper or whatever then that would be great as well.

I encourage everyone who feels it to jump in on this. Also what do you think about #craftpaintchallenge for tagging. Please post results on here and other social media. Lets see how much love we can get, and how far this will go.

Official/unofficial start date of 4/11. And lets go. Cheers. 

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, Loim said:

...If you aren't into miniature painting, and still want to throw some craft paints on canvas or paper or whatever then that would be great as well...

Terrain

Terrain...

I say again three times...

Terrain!

Edited by TGP
...that is what craft paints were made for...
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, TGP said:

Terrain

Terrain...

I say again three times...

Terrain!

Please. I realized I probably should have put this in the exchange competition sub forum, maybe some nice Mod will come along and do that. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Loim said:

Please. I realized I probably should have put this in the exchange competition sub forum, maybe some nice Mod will come along and do that. 

I don't know about nice, but I did it anyway.

• Like 7

Found paint. These date from the late 90's and early 2000's.  Top row is metallics.

DSCN1566.thumb.jpg.0ca2367e48b4e706e43e102041960d9c.jpg 

Mostly these get used for terrain, but I also have some purple and green from a long-ago stenciling project.  White and black, but no primary colors. 

Craft color shift metallic paints:

DSCN1567.jpg.a3a2afd8445f358d5b69536927ed5372.jpg

Shiny, but will they be useful?  

Now to find minis....

• Like 6

I recently bought a batch of craft paint to use on miniature buildings:

12AD1D8E-2120-47EE-A7D6-812E699C362E.jpeg.03b8a0602fc18b96637604f766d274b8.jpeg

As you can see, it amounts to a brown triad, a gray triad, a couple of greens, black and white, and a red and a blue for trim.  Limiting to those colors would be a challenge unless the minis were picked carefully.

In older paint, I scrounged through my boxes and came up with:

7DB082A2-78F1-44D4-B731-284BD2FB1CB5.jpeg.6b1e5969386d4da1cbedc020d095acc8.jpeg

Some mixed metallics, a red triad intended for Burroughs Martians, and a raw sienna.

Saprolings are the first thing on my desk in Bones, so that shouldn’t be too hard.

Mixing paints is encouraged, I would suppose?

• Like 8

@Rob Dean that looks like a good variety of colors to work with. 

I remembered that I should have a brown and a grey around here somewhere, I was doing terrain about a month ago at the game store (right before everything shut down) and didn't pack it away.  Just need to find it. 

Was going to order some cheapo random Bones from ebay, but carp, they're selling for almost full price!  Plus shipping!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Inarah said:

Was going to order some cheapo random Bones from ebay, but carp, they're selling for almost full price!  Plus shipping!

I haven't watched mini prices there in a long time.  Is this unusual?

• Like 2

I seem to recall that after Bones1 they were going for about 1.25-50 for individual human size figures, if you weren't too picky about what you wanted, or if you liked chronoscope.  If you wanted 10-12 random characters or encounters you could get a good deal. 

I'm just going to have DH 3d print me some figures or terrain.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I found the rest of the terrain paint.  Two umber browns, a quartet of greys, and a warm beige.

DSCN1568.jpg.8da133fc2abb7fb3f0a0428096493429.jpg

Going to be able to paint ALL the rocks with this!  

• Like 7

Heh...

I've got about 70 bottles of Delta Ceramcoat in my drawer over there, and I'll bet almost all of them are still good with a little shaking up. And did I mention I spent about ten years painting all my minis with them?  ::D:

Now, I just need to see which colors I still have, figure out what I want to paint, and find some time to do it, lol.

• Like 9

I used to paint all of my minis with them too.  But my son inherited my collection when I shifted over to hobby paints.  

• Like 4

Yeah, I have a huge tub of them left over from when I switched from oils to acrylic, before RMS was made.  Not sure where they are right now, with everything packed up for the remodel.  I only kept out the earthy colors for a few terrain pieces, and a handful of random colors ended up in the bin.  I ordered a few more figures, most of what I kept to paint is metal.  My bin of Bones was one of the first things packed into storage. 

• Like 4

I'm in. I have quite a few of the paints from terrain projects and odd bits needed.

• Like 4