Sign in to follow this  
Maledrakh

Maledrakh's 77541 Carrion Worm...er, caterpillar

This is a model that has been waiting patiently since Bones 3. I have been thinking about how to make it look maggotlike, as it more than anything reminds me of wasp larvae or maggots. You know, these ones:

paper-wasp-larvae-food-asia-34274647.jpg  I wanted to use a short videoclip here, but the constant wiggling gives me the screaming willies!

So the other day I tried a quick yellow-grey-bonewhite scheme. It turned out...not quite what I was going for. So I slathered the thing in gloss varnish to give it the shiny "a bit translucent" glass like look. It turned out looking slimy instead. Btw wasp larvae are not slimy or wet to the touch at all. Also, lots of wild animals such as squirrels, possums and birds really like the taste of those juicy wasp larvae, which probably is the main  evolutionary reason that wasps and hornets are so very aggressive, and use the Attack! Attack! Attack! When in doubt, attack again!" strategy to welcome anyone close to a nest.

200410-reaper-bones-3-77541-carrion-worm 200410-reaper-bones-3-77541-carrion-worm 200410-reaper-bones-3-77541-carrion-worm 200410-reaper-bones-3-77541-carrion-worm 200410-reaper-bones-3-77541-carrion-worm

The white in the photo is a bit washed out and the yellow and grey detail in the folds of the flesh are not showing properly. The gloss is overpowering most of it anyway.

Live and learn. I am thinking maybe there are no quick-fixes for the effect I would like, and that I might need to go full non metallic metal-extreme white highlight technique to make the glass-like look I am after. Which is really time-consuming. So on the other hand, this took significantly less than a hour or so to paint in between other things. It will do the job.

The paint job is not only Fast, but also Sloppy. Zoomed-in photos are without mercy.

200410-reaper-bones-3-77541-carrion-worm

Reaper calls this model "Carrion Worm". Worm? Worm? It has legs for crying out loud!

ahem... from the Collinsdictionary.com:

Definition of 'worm'

1. COUNTABLE NOUN

worm is a small animal with a long thin body, no bones and no legs.

(The astute reader will notice how I like a complete hippocrite ignore the "small" in the definition but make a big issue out of the "no legs" bit.)

....so, maybe a we shall call it a caterpillar instead? I have named this one Heim-Liche.

Anyway, what sort of carrion exactly does it dine on that lets it grow to such a size? And presumably at some point it will go in to a chrysalis. What might it eventually metamorphose into? Mothra?

77541 Carrion Worm

Bones 3, Graveyard Expansion, 2015

Reaper Miniatures

Sculpted by Kevin Williams

Made in Bonesium PVC

60mm base

available from reapermini.com

This model was painted on or around the 7th of April.

• Like 19

Wonderfully grublike! 

Since it does look a bit like a beetle grub, perhaps they metamorphose into Umber Hulks? It seems bulkier, but so are Hercules beetle grubs compared to their adult forms.

• Like 2

That's suitably gross and sure to give players a thrill when they see it. 

• Like 1